• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

My expectations are my own. I don't expect anyone else to get on board with them but they can if they want.
What is the point of even following the Reds if my expectation is for them to come stone cold last?
What's not realistic about it? They have the ability to achieve my expectations and the fact that they didn't this year isn't proof that they won't next year.
If you need everyone else to hold the same expectations as you to cope with next years season is suggest you're probably better off not following the Reds. It may be easier on you. Just sayin.

Precisely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
The departure of JOC (James O'Connor) will see Hunt secure the 15 jersey. The squad doesn't have much depth a lot of young players who will be chucked into the deep end. However the match day squad will be a fairly good outfit;

1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Holmes
4. Douglas
5. Simmons
6. Tui
7. Gill
8. Schatz
9. Frisby
10. International Marquee
11. F'Sautia
12. Paaiaua
13. Kerevi
14. Nabuli
15. Hunt

16. Ready
17. Daley
18. Talakai
19. Neville
20. Fakaosilea
21. Tuttle
22. McIntyre
23. Fainga'a

Fa'agase
Paraka
Tupou
Mafi x2
Tui
Browning
Gunn
Korzyck
Gale
Greene
Magnay
Kuridrani
Magnay
Taulagi
Banks

I put Paaiaua there for the fact that based on last season the Kerevi/Fainga'a combination didn't work with ball playing in the midfield almost non existent in games. Our wingers need to see the ball and someone at 12 like Paaiaua can fill that role, especially given then opportunity.
A. Fainga'a for me is out of the picture he has remained the same rugby player over the last 4-5 season with no real continued development after his Wallaby stint previously. I believe he would be a great mentor for Duncan who produced some class in games at 12.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Should we really expect a change in philosophy regarding the midfield combinations if RG still has a hand in selections?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The dynamic of the coaching staff will be very interesting. I don't know enough about Matt O'Connor - but based on his background you'd figure he will want a fair amount of influence on selection and will be pretty outspoken (behind closed doors hopefully), if Graham is coming up with some clangers.

This might help maintain some sanity in proceedings, much like Connolly did at the end of this season. Or it could just be divisive and cause more issues.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep Intruder I think that's the team. I really like the prospect of Duncan at 12.

Korzcyk at 6 a shot too (or 8 I guess) with Lolo and Browning.

Have you heard talk about the supposed marquee at 10?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The dynamic of the coaching staff will be very interesting. I don't know enough about Matt O'Connor - but based on his background you'd figure he will want a fair amount of influence on selection and will be pretty outspoken (behind closed doors hopefully), if Graham is coming up with some clangers.

This might help maintain some sanity in proceedings, much like Connolly did at the end of this season. Or it could just be divisive and cause more issues.

I've been wondering the same. If Connolly has influence will we see what the Leister fans were complaining about? Ie one fixed game plan (puts us ahead of last season already), forwards oriented with pods up the middle.

Might not be a bad approach as the quality of our forwards seems to outrank the backs.

Wouldn't be pretty though and not comforting looking at the future in a rebuilding year.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
My expectations are my own. I don't expect anyone else to get on board with them but they can if they want.
What is the point of even following the Reds if my expectation is for them to come stone cold last?
What's not realistic about it? They have the ability to achieve my expectations and the fact that they didn't this year isn't proof that they won't next year.
If you need everyone else to hold the same expectations as you to cope with next years season is suggest you're probably better off not following the Reds. It may be easier on you. Just sayin.

Look, I know my response was a touch heavy. But honest a target of winning home and the odd game away? With RG and a downgraded squad?

Why support them? This question has been asked by many and many have a public answer of returning membership. Me, I wasn't in Aus during the last nadir and it's time for me to earn my stripes. I'm going all the way no matter what.

I guess what I would hope for, if we start winning some at home, is a jubilant response from the crowd, not feedback of "we expect more".

In terms of "expectations" being personal, I am also entitled to an opinion. And one think I seriously believe right now is that we need a dose of reality over our expectations.

But let's look to the positives:
1. Love the way we approach the NRC and how this palpably fits into the EPS.
2. There is some great talent coming through.
3. Some very interesting coaching staff in that arrangement, can only bode well.
4. S&C, on its own may have made the difference of a couple of games last season.
5. Stiles.
6. Herbet, I need convincing here, but with Connoly may have something of a tempering effect on RG.

Then there is RG and a de-tuned squad. Especially in the backs. Crazy to have let Turner go.

I'm happy to say "wouldn't it be good if..." We won some home games. But I'm not using the word "expectation".

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
As any wins that RG will get as a head coach are purely down to good fortune, then as with any random chance event there is a possibility of a series of favourable outcomes occurring in a relatively short duration. Ergo, there is a statistical chance that the reds may have a reasonably successful season.

(who says I can't be positive?)

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Of course the corollary to that is there a series of unfavourable outcomes, in which case it could be worse than before.

(well, that didn't take very long)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The young blokes have been doing OK in the NRC and this bodes well for the Reds in the years coming provided RG doesn't stuff it up.

The KHunt is looking a lot more confident as well.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
But let's look to the positives:
1. Love the way we approach the NRC and how this palpably fits into the EPS.
2. There is some great talent coming through.
3. Some very interesting coaching staff in that arrangement, can only bode well.
4. S&C, on its own may have made the difference of a couple of games last season.
5. Stiles.
6. Herbet, I need convincing here, but with Connoly may have something of a tempering effect on RG.
Connolly is gone - did you mean O'Connor? But other than that I agree with all of the above. And I would much rather focus on the positive and look forward to the coming season.

I'm not sure our squad this year was as much better as touted - we had a number of injury struggles and a number of senior players out of form/seemingly not in the right frame of mind. As a squad, we didn't seem fit enough. Now, this may well have been down to the coaching - but I am hoping that the coaching changes will help address this. I expect dramatic improvement in our S&C.

As always, luck with injuries will play a part and our marquee signing will be significant. But there appears enough talent in the squad to have a better year next year with a promise of better things to come after that.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The teams that make the finals usually have around 8 or so players who would be solid internationals and the teams that win often have 10+ in my observation.

Historically, Teams chock full of talented players under the age of 25 don't win as much as teams with some young talent sprinkled on top of a base of somewhat experienced professionals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think The Reds title winning team would have had a very low average age. That being said you need some experience.

Young guys can get big wins once they are on a roll, old guys can get you a tough and ugly win and these are usually the most important games of the season.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Bring back Turner.

From recollection he's in Japan? So big chance to call him back in at some point. It's short sighted though (imho). The reason you want an experienced head around is to guide the crew. That impact would be better started during off season training.

One thing I do really like is the lock options in the squad. I was critical of this a year ago when there wasn't much there to challenge the run on pair. It's looking good this year. Ditto front row and loose forwards.

Who knows, maybe my barely suppressed despondency will lift when the "international marquee" 10 is announced.

I also like Frisbey. And think he is more than ready for Super Rugby, more than that, may challenge to the broader WB squad (given the halves leaving).

Hunt also coming into rugby form.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I expect a huge year from Simns, as you mention Dru there are options this season and everytime there has ever been talk about poor form or pressure for Simmons spot he has stepped up a gear.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
From recollection he's in Japan? So big chance to call him back in at some point. It's short sighted though (imho). The reason you want an experienced head around is to guide the crew. That impact would be better started during off season training.

One thing I do really like is the lock options in the squad. I was critical of this a year ago when there wasn't much there to challenge the run on pair. It's looking good this year. Ditto front row and loose forwards.

Who knows, maybe my barely suppressed despondency will lift when the "international marquee" 10 is announced.

I also like Frisbey. And think he is more than ready for Super Rugby, more than that, may challenge to the broader WB squad (given the halves leaving).

Hunt also coming into rugby form.

Turner went to France on a WC Joker contract - short term cover for international players being away at the WC after being told by the Reds to look elsewhere.

Agree that Hunt is going well - just needed game time to get the hang of rugby again, he should have played NRC last year rather than sit around signing autographs. I'd like to see McIntyre given a good go at Super Rugby, his combination with Frisby is building well and it should be building his confidence. If they bring in an international marquee it needs to be someone willing to mentor and develop him and Greene.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
The departure of JOC (James O'Connor) will see Hunt secure the 15 jersey. The squad doesn't have much depth a lot of young players who will be chucked into the deep end. However the match day squad will be a fairly good outfit;

1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Holmes
4. Douglas
5. Simmons
6. Tui
7. Gill
8. Schatz
9. Frisby
10. International Marquee
11. F'Sautia
12. Paaiaua
13. Kerevi
14. Nabuli
15. Hunt

16. Ready
17. Daley
18. Talakai
19. Neville
20. Fakaosilea
21. Tuttle
22. McIntyre
23. Fainga'a

Fa'agase
Paraka
Tupou
Mafi x2
Tui
Browning
Gunn
Korzyck
Gale
Greene
Magnay
Kuridrani
Magnay
Taulagi
Banks

I put Paaiaua there for the fact that based on last season the Kerevi/Fainga'a combination didn't work with ball playing in the midfield almost non existent in games. Our wingers need to see the ball and someone at 12 like Paaiaua can fill that role, especially given then opportunity.
A. Fainga'a for me is out of the picture he has remained the same rugby player over the last 4-5 season with no real continued development after his Wallaby stint previously. I believe he would be a great mentor for Duncan who produced some class in games at 12.

Isn't Slipper having shoulder surgery after the RWC which will rule him out of the first few rounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.