• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^ .. But yet Peter Playford and the Sydney Stars (NRC 2015 version) made the semi finals, and some would say that they came within a Ballymore Plover's attack of making the finals. Their game plan seemed based on kicking the ball to the bad guys, and aggressively contesting possession.

If correctly executed, the field possession game isn't as boring as batshit, and it can be reasonably successful. It does need an iron wall defence, which the 2015 Sydney Stars were not particularly good at.
A good kicking game and attacking rugby sit very well together IMO. Including well executed box kicking. 2011 was perfect proof. The exact stats escape me but I distinctly recall that the Reds kicked far more ball than the Waratahs - but the Reds were breathtaking to watch while the Tahs were dull as dishwater. But when the Reds kicked it was invariably well placed, to space and contested. Good kicking supports expansive rugby because it challenges the defence to cover more of the field.

T

TOCC

i found it surprising that Campbell Magnay is one of the fastest in the squad, he is a big unit with dimension similar to that of George North. He only had limited opportunities in 2015 but he seems to be a strong unit who runs and tackles hard.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
With all of that, Magnay may sit on the bench or even be playing u20 since we seem to have imported a whole lot of backs recently. If the Reds don't give the young tallent like that a go, they'll be of to greener pastures next season, much like Nili Fielea to the force.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^^ .. But yet Peter Playford and the Sydney Stars (NRC 2015 version) made the semi finals, and some would say that they came within a Ballymore Plover's attack of making the finals. Their game plan seemed based on kicking the ball to the bad guys, and aggressively contesting possession.

If correctly executed, the field possession game isn't as boring as batshit, and it can be reasonably successful. It does need an iron wall defence, which the 2015 Sydney Stars were not particularly good at.

I don't disagree with you Mr Jarse, but having a tactical kicking game that turns the defence around and pins the opposition down (Jake White being in our consciousness due to his work with ACT) is one thing; kicking away good quality midfield ball is quite another.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Magnay should get some bench time at 23. I'd rate his potential and versatility over Kuridrani. Would like him and Perese at 13 and wing for u20, that would be awesome.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
We've been hearing about all these young, talented world-beater backs in Queensland for a coupla seasons now. Two things seem to be happening to them:
  • they don't reach their potential and don't beat anyone, or
  • they go down injured.
Why?

Reactions: gel

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
We've been hearing about all these young, talented world-beater backs in Queensland for a coupla seasons now. Two things seem to be happening to them:
  • they go down injured.
Why?

Plenty of Queensland talent have excelled at a very young age. Quade, Slipper, Simmons, JOC (James O'Connor), Gill and Pocock are all great examples of young guys, all wallabies by the time they were 20, at that was at the latest and in the tight forwards!

However you're right, more recently, boys brought in as Aussie Schoolboy and u20 stars, arn't hitting their straps as early as would be expected, if at all.

Perhaps a reflection of how we perceive the value of these youngsters characteristics? In the backrow for instance, across Australia we have an abundance of great u20 level players at 6 and 8, all around the 6ft2-6ft4 100-108kg range. Athletic, fit, precise which works great in that system. But don't have the physicality to match it as a traditional no.8 come pro rugby.

Just spit balling obviously, but maybe too much emphasis is put on versatility over specialty.

T

TOCC

• they go down injured.
Why?

Unfulfilled potential isn't just limited to QLD players, there's plenty of examples in other teams as well. It's no secret that when a teams performing well it makes it easier for a younger player to come in and shine, and vice versa for teams performing badly.

Kuridrani was lured to the Brumbies and Kerevi is a star on the rise. Chris Feauai-Sautia is really the only player who fits the bill of what you are referring? Placid is another perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Aiden Toua would also for that category. Rather than it being 'they don't reach their potential OR they go down with injury' injuries seem to have been fairly significant hand breaks on the careers of all 3 of Toua, CFS & Placid. They are all still young enough though. Rob Horne had very similar problems.

As to the reason, I understand that CFS carried significant issues forward from his schoolboy rugby days which required significant remidial attention - although the is second hand and I'm happy to be corrected if that is not the case.

But I think that often the bodies of young athletes struggle with the rigours of professional training.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
  • they go down injured.
Why?

I think a lot of it is just beat up on how good they are. There's a sharp distinction between looking good at Premier level (and in the cases of some touted from a young age, First XV), than actually performing at a high level against professionals. The NRC should help (it really helped Kerevi blossom into a very good inside centre last year) but I think sometimes expectations need to get tempered a bit (i.e. around UJ Seuteni a few years back).

That said, there a few guys (CFS been the most prominent) who have shown flashes but succumbed to significant injury problems.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't disagree with you Mr Jarse, but having a tactical kicking game that turns the defence around and pins the opposition down (Jake White being in our consciousness due to his work with ACT) is one thing; kicking away good quality midfield ball is quite another.

You SHOULD disagree. That game plan is certainly bat shit. I speak as a local Stars fan (yes I know one of 3; and one of two who are also Reds fans).

Still bat shit. I might have used different terms but will work with bat shit.

And in the mean time; I have backed off to this point, but if the Reds give me bat shit this season... This Reds member will be feeling quite ... How does the PC response work... Oh yeah, "less than impressed".

I'll go with effort and loss. But give me a bat shit free Reds.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
i found it surprising that Campbell Magnay is one of the fastest in the squad, he is a big unit with dimension similar to that of George North. He only had limited opportunities in 2015 but he seems to be a strong unit who runs and tackles hard.

Having followed the squad very closely. Magnay may be quick and a good tackler. However, his footy brain like many other young players in the Reds are far from Super Rugby standard at this moment. Athletically is very gifted with a frame that will be of good use once his game knowledge comes up to speed. Would still be choosing Kuridrani over him on the bench.

Trials in two weeks now, squads will be coming together rather soon. Who do we all see in the Match day 23?

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
You SHOULD disagree. That game plan is certainly bat shit. I speak as a local Stars fan (yes I know one of 3; and one of two who are also Reds fans).

Still bat shit. I might have used different terms but will work with bat shit.

And in the mean time; I have backed off to this point, but if the Reds give me bat shit this season. This Reds member will be feeling quite . How does the PC response work. Oh yeah, "less than impressed".

I'll go with effort and loss. But give me a bat shit free Reds.

Nope, still don't disagree. A well executed kicking game can be very useful, the Reds used it effectively under Link, and likewise the ACT Brumbies used it very well under White. Watching Berrick Barnes give away the pill with aimless kicking for both Qld and NSW was like having teeth pulled.

And let's be honest, the Reds' troubles go well beyond stupid midfield bombs.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Having followed the squad very closely. Magnay may be quick and a good tackler. However, his footy brain like many other young players in the Reds are far from Super Rugby standard at this moment. Athletically is very gifted with a frame that will be of good use once his game knowledge comes up to speed. Would still be choosing Kuridrani over him on the bench.

Trials in two weeks now, squads will be coming together rather soon. Who do we all see in the Match day 23?

I'll take a stab. Like doing this. So our best available team for Trial #1

Slipper, Douglas, Korczyke, Tui, Sautia, JJT and Goromaru unavailable for that early ?

1. Daley 2. Fainga'a 3. Holmes
4. Neville 5. Simmons
6. Fakasolia 8. Schatz 7. Gill
9. Frisby 10. Mcintyre 12. Fainga'a/Taefu13. Kerevi 11. Nabuli 14. Kuridrani 15. Hunt
16. Ready 17. Paraka 18. Faagase 19. Matwijow 20. Browning 21. Gale/Tuttle 22. Greene 23. Laloifi

Would like to see A.Mafi, Thor, L.Tui, Tuttle, Sorovi, Mason, Magnay & Perese all play big roles in the u20 curtain raiser which I think is on?

Means as many as possible get a good match.

And yes just realised it could potentially just the Brisbane City backline to start with.......

Status
Not open for further replies.