• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
So moving forward to the Force game, any changes?

I would.

I'd be looking at something like:

15 Goromaru

14 Nabuli

13 Hunt

12 Kerevi

11 Kuridrani (although I'd seriously like to give Gibbon a run)

10 McIntyre (flatter)

9 Frisby

8 Schatz

7 Gunn

6 Tui

5 Neville

4 Simmons

3 Holmes

2 Fainga'a

1 Daley

16 Ready

17 Fa'agase

18 Talakai

19 Matwijow

20 Browning

21 Gale

22 Greene

23 CFS

Team changes won't do it alone though.

I can take losing to anyone else with a modicum of dignity. Losing to the Force for some reason destroys me. just fuckin win Reds.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Only a small percentage of 10's can play flat.
If you want your 10 to play flat,then change your 10.
Cooper & Frisby both played too deep last year as well. We are playing excessively deep pretty much all of the time. There was plenty of scope for him to flatten the attack. If he can't, then I agree that we need a different 10.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
TPN played prop under Robbie Deans for the Barbarians. he got injured so possibly not the best example but it shows that there was a player who had played prop against a test side on the bench.
Why would the Tahs do that though? They were clearly advantaged by moving to uncontested scrums and had arrived at that situation due to genuine injuries and the yellow card.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Why would the Tahs do that though? They were clearly advantaged by moving to uncontested scrums and had arrived at that situation due to genuine injuries and the yellow card.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
Are they supposed to have a choice by the rules?

There is a huge difference between not having players available and not letting players who are suitable back into the game.

To me one is an OHS issue and the other is either unsportsmanlike/cheating

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I am honestly confused as to what Reds fans were expecting. We've seen the trials. We read the opinions of good rugby minds here. Purgatory was expected.

What was delivered was not as bad as most had voiced in expectation.

I definitely have a concern for lack of playmakers in the game. But with that constraint McIntyre did enough to suggest there may be some thought to his selection. His depth, as we know, is as he is coached.

Our "Karevi clone" back line showed big blokes pushing hard. They have some enthusiasm. As expected, Hunt moved to 13 , having been given absolutely no time to build combinations in that role in the trials.

Our tight 5 was even better in the scrums than expected. We had reasonable L/O calls even with Simmo off. Locks are looking good and Matwijou showed promise. Otoh ruck work was sub standard.

Everything else, just everything, reads to me as coaching issues that we were all over before kick off. I wanted to see a cohesive game plan, hell recognisable game plan would do. Wish denied.

We knew this was coming.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Kerevi spent too much time trying to jink and jive to try and find holes. Bro..your 105kg. Run straight.

then offload or whatever but fuk..know your role.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Can't say I agree with playing McIntyre flatter. First we need to get our passing game at 9-10 right. That means flat passes finding their target witout moving laterally before releasing (especially Frisby, who was taking three or four steps before passing last night).

Aside from his brilliant chase from Beale's kick, Phipps didn't really stand out - which is a sign of a scrum half doing their job.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Are they supposed to have a choice by the rules?

There is a huge difference between not having players available and not letting players who are suitable back into the game.

To me one is an OHS issue and the other is either unsportsmanlike/cheating
Umm, yes. Since the rules stipulate 4 props in the 23 and that they must be nominated as LHP / THP then the rules (actually laws) do give a choice that they do not need to bung a player into a specialty prop position because the Internet demands it.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Kerevi spent too much time trying to jink and jive to try and find holes. Bro..your 105kg. Run straight.

then offload or whatever but fuk..know your role.

I'd love to see him running off patterns that put him in a half gap that his size, pace and step would see him really open teams up. no backline plan sees him jinking trying to stay alive with the ball and start something.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
20-0 at half time with 30-10 full time suggests that the second half was pretty even. I think the back line lacked structure and there was not enough focus or bodies at the breakdown. With a little bit of focus and concentration these things can be ironed out, ball handling at times was poor but I think this was due to the lack of structure in the back line. Hunt should go to 13 with crash ball Kerevi at 12 and as said previously he needs to run straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serge

Fred Wood (13)
There needs to be a new 10 or we will see more of the same in the backline. McIntyre is not up to the job required. The Reds are desperate for a 10 who can provide real playmaking options at this level.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There needs to be a new 10 or we will see more of the same in the backline. McIntyre is not up to the job required. The Reds are desperate for a 10 who can provide real playmaking options at this level.

Its not the only solution. We could work a second playmaker at 12 or 13. Both Paia'ua and Hunt are available. Also, how much have we actually tested Greene?

This is not a McIntyre issue. It is a back line selection and coaching issue.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
20-0 at half time with 30-10 full time suggests that the second half was pretty even. I think the back line lacked structure and there was not enough focus or bodies at the breakdown. With a little bit of focus and concentration these things can be ironed out, ball handling at times was poor but I think this was due to the lack of structure in the back line. Hunt should go to 13 with crash ball Kerevi at 12 and as said previously he needs to run straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only 7 penalty goals short of a famous victory;)

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Sweet. We'll swap you Frisby for Stizaker?

Truth be told, i don't have authority to make trades for the Reds, and if I did I would have already traded Richard Graham for a can of coke.
No dice. I've been hyping Stirzaker for the last four years, can't let Graham undo all that hard work.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Umm, yes. Since the rules stipulate 4 props in the 23 and that they must be nominated as LHP / THP then the rules (actually laws) do give a choice that they do not need to bung a player into a specialty prop position because the Internet demands it.
There you go combatting hyperbole with logic again
Why let fact get in the way of a good story
Down with this sort of thing

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
I struggle to criticise players performances when I have no idea what RG is telling them to do. Already career opportunities like last years world cup for Gill have been trashed under the clueless RG. Would hate to trash reputations of young players who in time will develop.The organisations recruitment and retention DEPT and head coach at the Reds is woeful and i feel for every player at the organisation even the ones that shouldn't be there.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just don't think our backrow offers enough.

If you look back to 2011 we had both Higgers & Samo with a bit of X-Factor scoring tries. Now we have honest toilers in Schatz and Browning but they don't seem capable of dominating at this level.

There were reports last week that Cheika is off to have a chat to Houston about coming back to Oz. Hopefully whoever the next Reds coach is can convince him to come back to Brisbane. I wonder who else is on Cheika's hitlist. Maybe Ben Mowen.

http://m.bathchronicle.co.uk/Bath-R...ay-Australia/story-28813711-detail/story.html

Reckon I'll head along to watch the U20s this week to see how Tupou goes. If he's killing it, maybe we need to give him a chance off the bench sooner rather than later.

Anyone know where Anthony Fainga'a is at with his comeback?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

I was womdering how long it would take to blame the 10 for the woeful attack. Just refresh your memory and have a look at the attack structure with all the other 10s tried last year and the year before, including Cooper (who can play flat) and you will see some stark similarities. Its a bit tough to make a call like that on a player when evidence suggests it is the "plan".

Status
Not open for further replies.