• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
The return leg will be interesting the Reds definitely blew opportunities to put scoreboard pressure on early. CFS scores his try, Cararro's try isn't awarded swings the game.
The two 'soft' yellow cards aren't awarded and those scrums at the end of the game result in penalty tries. The Reds win that game.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The return leg will be interesting the Reds definitely blew opportunities to put scoreboard pressure on early. CFS scores his try, Cararro's try isn't awarded swings the game.
The two 'soft' yellow cards aren't awarded and those scrums at the end of the game result in penalty tries. The Reds win that game.
Yeah i saw it a bit like that, take away the scoreboard and it looked different.
I wonder how many results for this year come down to whats in their heads.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
ILTW - hmm wered ya go.
NSW scored 20 and stopped, i was nervous about getting run down.
We didnt deserve a bonus point win, i want better.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
No more scrum posts in this thread, please.

I think that the Tahs would've won if CFS scored and Carraro's try was disallowed. The Reds were only in it when the Tahs switched completely off. All it took was the Reds to score again to wake them up for a few minutes before they switched right back off.

I feel for whoever keeps the Reds flyhalf position, with the structure they play to it's a poisoned chalice. Too deep alignment, no subtly: just shovel the ball on. Not many teams are going to be defensively threatened by the Reds.

T

TOCC

I'm going to make one more scrum comment....

If any team has a weaker scrum then the Tahs then it's gotta be the Force, they have had a few injuries to their props in pre-season, Reds will need to convert that to points this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Actually the Reds performed exactly as their trial form (and last season) trend suggested they would. They dominated the set pieces, had more run metres and greater ruck and tackle numbers from roughly the same possession stats. I'd love to see how they come up with the run metres number (Fox) because they can't be measuring past the gain line. Apart from individual breaks, or the very occasional first phase break the Reds never threatened the line. Exactly as they did the in the trials. So I don't think they performed better or worse, they are already at their peak of what you can expect from the side under Graham. The problem isn't possession it is the total lack of anything resembling attack structure past first phase. You could also look at the defence structure because the Reds are very brittle and against a side that didn't spend 60 minutes of the game asleep they would have conceded perhaps 50 points.

The Tahs will be lucky to finish mid table with the set piece issues which I and other identified a the beginning of last year and I'm depressed that they were not rectified to any significant degree.

I feel for the Reds fans when they come up against the Brumbies or any of the NZ sides.

Ben Smith

Frank Nicholson (4)
Matt O'Connor working wonders with the attacking structure.
RS 1.jpg
RS 2.jpg
RS 3.jpg

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
How can you make the gain line when the second receiver is 15m back? Even that far back they get so much time to drift. There's not even a change of direction or someone coming back against the grain so they know it's just going wide or dying mid field a long way behind the gain line.

The forwards must hate this play, nothing worse that working your ass off running backwards to rucks on offence!

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Not players fault. Judging by those photos, Coach Graham may well have told his guys to please NOT stand directly on the advertising painted on the pitch because "blocking the advertising from being easily read might impact on the club's revenue and therefore on your salaries."

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Great stills - thanks Ben.
Not only are the receivers very deep, but also flatfooted.
We had very similar problems last year against the Tahs at Suncorp. Here's a quote from Jim Tucker after that match:

"It was torture watching the Reds and the lack of structure to create any running momemtum was chronic so rarely did they get over the gainline."

Could've just recycled it. So what has the extra year of Richard Graham coaching gotten us?

Same shit, different season?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...m/news-story/6a38be6b689a648bdc535adb139d63db

Reactions: gel

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
How can you make the gain line when the second receiver is 15m back? Even that far back they get so much time to drift. There's not even a change of direction or someone coming back against the grain so they know it's just going wide or dying mid field a long way behind the gain line.

The forwards must hate this play, nothing worse that working your ass off running backwards to rucks on offence!

IMHO it appears that most attacking plays are forcing them to cover extra distance, and needing to do so at a higher speed as hey are under pressure just to get back to the line compared to opposition teams.

I would love to see the GPS data.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
No more scrum posts in this thread, please.

I think that the Tahs would've won if CFS scored and Carraro's try was disallowed. The Reds were only in it when the Tahs switched completely off. All it took was the Reds to score again to wake them up for a few minutes before they switched right back off.

I feel for whoever keeps the Reds flyhalf position, with the structure they play to it's a poisoned chalice. Too deep alignment, no subtly: just shovel the ball on. Not many teams are going to be defensively threatened by the Reds.

Seriously, we would be better off if the backs would mutiny before the game and commit to playing flat on 2nd/3rd phase and just running "hands" down the line with an occasional overs/unders line from 12/13.

Then again, that would have to be preceded by us getting quick ball instead of getting blasted at the ruck.

Great stills - thanks Ben.
Not only are the receivers very deep, but also flatfooted.

It's worse than that - McIntrye is already running across field in the second shot before he's received the ball (and looks like it's going to happen again in the third shot).

Angling your run like that so far behind the gain line is nothing short of a cardinal sin at first receiver. It's not QC (Quade Cooper) playing 18 inches from the line with 2 runners on each shoulder, coming across before changing the direction of attack with an inside pass.. and it isn't part of some elaborate pre-orchestrated move..

It's a classic symptom of a flyhalf falling into bad habits because there's either a lack of direction in the structure or a lack of confidence in their own head (whether it's the confidence to take on the line, confidence in the strength/accuracy of their own pass - possibly due to the second receiver standing somewhere in the South Australian Sea).

There's no way that this structure even feels remotely functional during training sessions.. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for some of the boys right now.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We had very similar problems last year against the Tahs at Suncorp. Here's a quote from Jim Tucker after that match:

"It was torture watching the Reds and the lack of structure to create any running momemtum was chronic so rarely did they get over the gainline."

Could've just recycled it. So what has the extra year of Richard Graham coaching gotten us?

Same shit, different season?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...m/news-story/6a38be6b689a648bdc535adb139d63db

That is incredibly damning. Hopefully Reds exec and management are making the same connections.

Reactions: gel

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
That is incredibly damning. Hopefully Reds exec and management are making the same connections.
The executives don't appear to be aware of what is occurring on the field. They would not know what happened on the field last year as they were busy scouring the earth for the best possible coach.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah I've had an issue with the forward set up of phase play at the Reds for a while now. How they expect to make metres standing flat footed off the ruck with a rush defence is beyond me. We need them to hit the ball at pace and dent the line.

I'd also love to see the ball out of the rucks in less than 5 seconds. We need a quick recycle and to go again. If we have quick ball going forward then the backs will actually creep up and take advantage of a retreating defensive line.

Some really simple changes could make all the difference to the teams attacking structure.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The executives don't appear to be aware of what is occurring on the field. They would not know what happened on the field last year as they were busy scouring the earth for the best possible coach.

Yes we have heard of this thorough search through the Ballymore grandstands. Unfortunately we discovered during the trials that it was insufficiently thorough to even notice the bird guano on the seats. Come to think of it, they may have well mistaken guano for an HC. The same pasty expression.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Matt O'Connor working wonders with the attacking structure.

I understand why they might have opted for a deeper attacking structure, the Tahs are known for rushing up and pressuring the first and second receiver. So by stepping back a bit, you give a green fly half a bit more time to make a decision.

However, I don't buy into that line of thinking. You allow the opposition to dictate how you play rather than you putting in place a gameplan that would be more effective in getting over the game line. A flat attack is what worked for Quade '10-'12 and it should be carried over. That Nabuli and CFS should be taking up Digby's old role of sitting inside McIntyre so that a quick pop ball will keep the defensive line honest rather than simply drifting as they know the 10 will just shovel shit!

Status
Not open for further replies.