• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Im over McIntyre for this season, he is a real problem for the Reds at the moment. He is Killing the forwards and the Back line. Thankfully Kerevi speed and power has made a McIntyre shocking pass or cross kick into points.

Might have Cooper finishing of the season by reports.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
It's certainly my observation that most 20-21 yr olds don't make awesome Super Rugby players (usually takes until 23-25 on average) though I would say that if there is a player who is more likely than not to be good at that age, Ponga is him.

In recent times, it looks like the front row might be the standout exception to your observations. Faágase, Talakai, Robertson, Ala'alatoa, Scoble to mention a few who look to be up to the Super Rugby challenge.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Agreed. The other "one" positions are 2 and 7. And maybe 9.

It is the ONE position on a rugby field that is paramount.

I think a team can compensate for nearly every other position with another player.

Franchises all need a good 10, first and foremost. They should be looking looking and constantly looking.

Gentlemen,

Remember that the first person picked in a team is the tight head prop. The second person picked is the reserve tight head prop. Then you commence picking the other 21.

Forgetting this is what got us mullered in the scrum from 2004 to 2014.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
The Greene/McIntyre debate is rather redundant at this point. Its clear which way the Reds are going, even giving Mack Mason a start over Greene in pre-season trials. This was never a competition for the 10 spot. If it was based on positional NRC form, Greene would start. If it was based on natural ability (speed, strength, power, vision, flair), Greene would start.

Greene is a guy who was unwanted by the Reds and left to play club for 3 seasons, whilst McIntyre (in and out of injury) played minimal club games whilst on Aus u20 duty and Reds wider squad duties (rehab).

Greene developed his game, adding a strong running game, adding to his boot and passing game. In the NRC he showed this, top tryscorer for QLD country, can take the line on (successfully) and plays flat and engages the defence and creates linebreaks.

His on-field time has been limited, compared to McIntyre who has 11 or so starts. McIntyre has shown improvement, the number of errors per game has reduced and he straightened up a touch. Still, the 2 Reds wins this season have come off the back of big performances from Kerevi (Highlanders) and Frisby (Cheetahs). He doesn't offer you any creativity or playmaking ability which is not a recipe for success.

The touchfinders from Greene on Friday night were poor errors, however this is down to execution and can be fixed. Greene plays flat, ball runners can hit the line with purpose. Michael Gunn's big run and linebreak came off a Greene pass.

As for the Ponga talk, if he wants to play rugby he should go to NZ. They will actually use him there. I would advise against moving to the Reds.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Good article in the Australian on the weekend about the massive issues with the super Rugby fixture list.

Reds have 1 home game between the cheetahs in April and Chiefs in July.

1 home game in 10 weeks.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Reds played the Saders in Christchurch last weekend and move on to the Canes in Wellington this weekend, did I read in a paper there was a training mishap at Ballymore yesterday? Why did the Reds fly home after the Saders match? As if there isn't enough travel in this complicated Super Rugby season, to subject the Reds players to four trips across the Tasman in 8/9 days seems a bit much, especially as two of those trips look to be unnecessary.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Gentlemen,

Remember that the first person picked in a team is the tight head prop. The second person picked is the reserve tight head prop. Then you commence picking the other 21.

Forgetting this is what got us mullered in the scrum from 2004 to 2014.

I stand duly corrected.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
The Reds played the Saders in Christchurch last weekend and move on to the Canes in Wellington this weekend, did I read in a paper there was a training mishap at Ballymore yesterday? Why did the Reds fly home after the Saders match? As if there isn't enough travel in this complicated Super Rugby season, to subject the Reds players to four trips across the Tasman in 8/9 days seems a bit much, especially as two of those trips look to be unnecessary.

Which paper was that in?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

I couldn't find any mention of the Reds coming home or any training accident at Ballymore but assuming they did come back, it's only a 3.5 hour flight and with an 8 day turnaround not really much of an issue. I'd go as far to say that given all of the travel in this new format, given the chance to spend an extra week sleeping in my own bed, I'd jump at that.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Whats Beau Robinson up to now? With Gilly gone i wouldnt mind grabbing him back. He always gave everything and hes pretty well-rounded. Maybe a level below gill but still a bloody good player.

He was on a short term contract with harlequins over in then uk for a while. I think he's still over there.

He'd be an option for sure but I felt his form was below previous levels and he was getting injured more.

Status
Not open for further replies.