• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The difference in this case though is that RG wont be sacked, his contract just wont be renewed (hopefully).

The life of a rugby coach is one of many ups and downs. Very few coaches stay in the one place for long periods of time. Coaches like Connelly, Bennett and Sheedy, who all had long stints at clubs are the exception. If your team isn't performing then it's your head on the chopping block.

The Reds made the call to write off this season and as it has progressed there has been no improvement. The ball was in RG's court to change things up and he didn't manage to do that. The QRU brought in Connelly and things have looked better.

The QRU need to deal with the players coming off contract too. They can't just tell them to sit around and see what happens. If they have told these players that RG's contract end soon I don't have an issue with that, it is a fact. If they have said that it won't be renewed so that the players are open minded about staying I also don't have a problem as they have to look after the long term viability of the team.

I just wish there was more transparency in the whole fucking thing.
Sort it out, clean it out, & get going for the 2016 season. And that includes QC (Quade Cooper).

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I just wish there was more transparency in the whole fucking thing.
Sort it out, clean it out, & get going for the 2016 season. And that includes QC (Quade Cooper).

I said it in one of the many threads somewhere else:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...eensland-cowboys/story-fni3g8pa-1226687517900

The road has already been traveled (many times actually) and just needed to be followed. Richard could have been sacked long ago with a public "lets go in different directions and gave great service" speech with a decent reference towards another coaching role elsewhere.

Players and fans happy with some closure on one chapter and board 100% focused on delivering the next chapter.

Like you, I just don't believe the thing has been handled well at all.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I said it before but Richard Graham is a nice bloke and without doubt has had the best intentions for Reds rugby. He hasn't been good at his job and that has been known for some time and surly Graham himself has seen the writing on the wall as the pressure has mounted. At a human level I think most people feel sorry for him. In no way is any personal vitriol aimed at him justifiable. It should always be kept civil but of people get turfed out of their jobs with terrible personal impacts. Shit, many of them are actually good at what they do. Automotive industry workers with little chance of re training and future employment prospects are one case in point.

Two things Graham should be given credit for are the signings of Thompson and Turner. Both have proven very valuable to the Reds. Turner has lost plenty of pace but he still demonstrates an astute read on the game and has provided some bloody good balance amongst our upcoming stars. Thompson is a very good match for the open style the Reds are most comfortable with and brings a wealth of experience. Even off field these would have been bloody good signings.

Graham cops a lot of the nasty shit that should be leveled at the idiots who employed him in the first place. That just isn't right or fair.

T

TOCC

Some of us aren't as interested in continually discussing the coaching issue, yes it's relevant to the Reds 2016 campaign and yes it's an important issue and that's why there is a thread specifically for it..

So can you politely keep all coaching issues and RG related criticisms to the coaching options for QLD thread, and leave this thread for discussing player movements for 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
So... QC (Quade Cooper) signs on - Frisby back to 9 - with quick ball, Thomson signs back on because QC (Quade Cooper) has. Kerevi, a year wiser, is running decoys off QC (Quade Cooper) with Special K (Kuridrani) and CFS catching long balls on the wings...

I'm excited.... love to be a fly on the wall to hear what QC (Quade Cooper)'s discussions are hinging on... many balls in the air with the RWC alone.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
1. Slipper 2. Fainga'a 3. Holmes 4. Simmons 5. Neville
6.Thomson 7. Gill 8. Fakaosiliea 9. Frisby 10. Cooper
11. F'Sautia 12. O'Connor 13. Kerevi 14. Turner 15. Hunt

16. Ready 17. Daley 18. Tupou/Talakai 19. Mcduling 20. Browning 21. Robinson
22. Tuttle 23. Taulagi

Thoughts?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
1. Slipper 2. Fainga'a 3. Holmes 4. Simmons 5. Neville
6.Thomson 7. Gill 8. Fakaosiliea 9. Frisby 10. Cooper
11. F'Sautia 12. O'Connor 13. Kerevi 14. Turner 15. Hunt

16. Ready 17. Daley 18. Tupou/Talakai 19. Mcduling 20. Browning 21. Robinson
22. Tuttle 23. Taulagi

Thoughts?

- CFS has been tearing up since moving to 14
- same with JOC (James O'Connor) at 15
- Hunt 13
- Kerevi 12
- need to see a bit more of Faka before jumping him over Browning. Schatz isn't effective enough, would like to see stats on the Reds forwards and how often they get over the ad line. I might be wrong but my perception is he is the worst.

Team is averaing over 30 points a game with those positions. Not sure I'd be switching them.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
I dont disagree with you, but it is still only 2 games, i suppose if they keep it up then there wont be any point it changing it up. Still too much staumcher tests to come.

T

TOCC

CFS - Is it the change to 14 or did 'someone' put a rocket under him?

He started performing much better a couple of games before the shift to 14, he started looking for work and being less lazy in defence.. The shift to 14 is just an added boost, he does seem much better on that side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I reckon it's still mostly probably that Quade is gone. Really hope he stays, but still think it's a greater chance he's gone.

Same with Browning.

We're definitely looking a little weaker next year, but I hope we can offset that with the improvement in S&C thanks to Marsh (and Thorn) and change in coaching.

I am waiting for the attack coach, hopefully it will be worth waiting for.

Best of luck to Graham; it's always been said he's a good guy, but right now he's just not a head coach of a Super rugby side.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Peter, with half decent coaching, it's a team I can support. Really hope QC (Quade Cooper) is finding a way to lock down and stay in Brisbane. What can I say, I'm an optimist. O'Donahue to shake the import for a run on spot.

If this is it, it's enough, I'm in.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
formerflanker said:
Never hire an independent consultant unless they are going to give you the answer you want.
Rule #1.
Nah. Rule #1: Never get yourself into a position where you have to employ a consultant,
Rule #2 "Never hire an independënt consultant unless....

T

Train Without a Station

So the Quade buyout figure is being reported as $150k in the Courier Mail today.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
almost definitely.

hard to have it both ways RH. There is no easy way for a coach to get sacked. But its a fact of the job. He's a QLD boy with a QLD family who would loved the fact that he had a chance to come 'home' to his ideal job. They've settled here, with the kids at school, playing jnr rugby, and re-acquainting with old friends. As it stands, it would seem he will not be the HC at the Reds next year. Likely he won't have a job at all. So where does that leave him and his family? Up and relocate again? Japan next? Back to Europe? Or does he do a Link and keep his young family here and move elsewhere himself to follow his passion?

So happy you manage to feel just a smidge of sorrow for Richard, a guy who was always just trying his best in the sport he loved, for the team he played for (and loved).

What a guy.
It's not really having it both ways.
It's not inconsistent to think someone is not up to the job and should be sacked,and feeling sorry for them on a personal level.
And whilst all Graham wants to do is to coach a team he loves,in a sport he loves in a city he loves,the reality is that he has his hand out for a big wad of cash to do it.
Old Rugby values that were established when everyone were volunteers,are no longer relevant when people are being paid big salaries to do what their predecessors did for love.

Status
Not open for further replies.