• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
It must be nice to have such job security where literally everyone can see your incompetence, but the boss loves you.

Maybe RG makes a wicked coffee brew in the morning and the QRU don't want to lose their favourite Barista? It's like losing a family member when the replacement can't make a flat white up to scratch.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Nobody who cares about the game in general, or the Reds in particular, should boycott anything.

Members should retain their membership. Let us not put the franchise in further jeopardy, puh-lease.

By all means have a say, have many, loud, says. But stay committed in every way.

Unfortunately, in the case of Australian rugby, history clearly shows that intelligent, progressive change and/or the upgrading of the many centres of incompetence we have in the elite sections of the code here, only comes from a serious institutional crisis, usually of a financial/cash flow nature.

Sensible, well planned institutional improvements in the management of the code here and from a base of success yielding even better management and leadership practices, are extremely rare.

The core reason for this, as I posted extensively on here in 2010-11, is that essentially no one, either individually or institutionally, is genuinely accountable for anything or to anybody in Australian rugby. It's principally a self-selecting, self-evaluating, self-preserving, incestuous elite system where modern forms of nepotism and old-rugger-boy networks rule. Real competencies in elites sports management within such a system are coincidental at best.

See the Tahs in the early 2000s (required an ARU bail-out), and again when headed for financial disaster in 2012 the Chairman was changed under sponsor pressure and when cash flow pressures became intolerable, and the QRU in 2009. The Rebels now have new management as essentially they were broke and haemorrhaging cash and the ARU badly needed to sell them on for $1.

So, endorsing a strategy whereby we keep pumping our hard-earned $s into the QRU's coffers may be emotionally laudable, but, like it or not, history shows it's not a rational way to ensure RU board level changes occur.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
http://www.millsoakley.com.au/managing-conflicts-of-interest-at-board-level/

Given there would be conflicts with McCall, Connors, the "Manager" and the "Accountant". I wonder who is left to contribute to the decision. If RG is re-appointed it is clear that Frawley is pro-RG too.

There seem to only be 2 board members without a previous conflict and they would probably be pro-RG to cover their backside (Carmichael).

The only time any of this has been addressed has been John Eales addressing a Spiros article. Which rings bells as he is a business partner of White.

No one has addressed the fact that two board members (that we know of) may have financially benefitted from RGs appointment and re-appointment.

As I've said many times, go back and read articles from 2014. How he survived last year is amazing. Carmichael was far more critical despite 2015 being the worse season.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm hearing different noises about the coach. Hope your rumours are right and mine are wrong.

Intruder had some modifications to make - but at least a good positive thread with douglas coming but bad news about slipper. Hope Hunt and JOC (James O'Connor) stay as per instruders comment, and hopefully mine are wrong, mainly because there would be serious depth issues without them. Turner to leave aswell apparently?

And why did we sign korczyke but not fakasolia yet?

so now we have schatz, browning, korzyke and quirk as all undersized 6/8s....still missing that go-to ball running BRer

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
the days of "alickadoos" appear to remain despite the "professional" era.
Redshappy is correct that the upper echelons of rugby management ( i use the term loosely) are largely self selecting from a very small pool of established past players and acquaintances. Despite their woes the Rebels Board has always been made up from successful business men and women, some of whom had an interest in Rugby before their appointment, rather than old blazer types. The financial problem has been generating an income stream without the product to sell, rather than ineptitude. As an outsider i cannot fathom what is going on at the QRU other than a substantial bunfight at board level as to who is in charge of the cookie tin. It beggars belief that RG is still there at this stage even if he is eventually moved on, either this year or next.

Reactions: gel

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Is there a 'real' way to send a message to the Reds that as well as the dozen or so players that approached Reds management, the vast majority of the fan base also don't want Graham anywhere near the joint and his removal needs to happen now?

Is a petition an option? Would it be taken seriously? Is there anything else? Boycotting membership I don't think will have the immediate effect we want.

Hunger strike outside of Suncorp Stadium?

hungry-hungry-homer.jpg

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
By all means have a say, have many, loud, says. But stay committed in every way.

Didn't Jim Jones say the same thing during the consuming of the Kool-aid in Jonestown?

Personally, I hate being told to do something "because", if we give the QRU our blind faith, no-one would call them out on their crap. We've seen clearly that they don't objectively assess the situation so why should we reward this behaviour?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
They won't even bother to respond to an email or publicly acknowledging the fans concerns. The only Avenue left is our hard earned cash.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Intruder had some modifications to make - but at least a good positive thread with douglas coming but bad news about slipper. Hope Hunt and JOC (James O'Connor) stay as per instruders comment, and hopefully mine are wrong, mainly because there would be serious depth issues without them. Turner to leave aswell apparently?

And why did we sign korczyke but not fakasolia yet?

so now we have schatz, browning, korzyke and quirk as all undersized 6/8s..still missing that go-to ball running BRer

I wouldn't get rolled up into that article. I am still hearing that Graham will not be head coach, however here maybe the confusion. The board are not yet ready to let him go seeing him as possible attack/backs coach taking over Meehans role.

Coach: Matt O'Connor
Backs: Rich Graham
Forwards: Nick Stiles & Brad Thorn

Turner is still not signed, EOD, Robinson and Quirk all possibly being moved on after NRC. Also Fakaosilia has another year left on his contract.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Since '06 I've had three season memberships to my name, one for my partner, and a spare one for my brother when he is in town. I was on the fence regarding memberships this season as I was unsure of Graham but the signings of JOC (James O'Connor) and Thomson convinced me that perhaps the Reds were a franchise worth supporting in 2015.

The whole Cooper thing left a really bitter taste, now this news about Graham being retained is the straw that breaks the camels back.

I can categorically state that I will not be buying a single membership for 2016 if Graham has anything to do with the Reds.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
Here's the thing, I've heard very strong assertions from reasonably placed sources that contradict each other about RG being Head Coach next season.

To me this goes to the heart of Smith's article that there is a deep division, an impasse even, around RG's future at Ballymore.

By any performance measure RG should not be kept as HC but it's clear that a different set of criteria are being applied here.

The ARU faced a similar choice when it went blinked and signed Deans for a second run after RWC2011 and the game has never recovered. What that signing showed was that on field success was no longer a pre-requisite to an ARU contract.

Similarly, if the QRU is to re-sign RG it will prove to all involved that a pass mark is 28% and the Reds will only attract talent that has roughly 28% of the talent required to be successful.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The board are not yet ready to let him go seeing him as possible attack/backs coach taking over Meehans role.

He can't be involved with the QRU at any level.

The emotional piggy bank is so far into the negative territory now that he would be a massive distraction if he were to ever walk the halls at Ballymore.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
http://www.millsoakley.com.au/managing-conflicts-of-interest-at-board-level/

Given there would be conflicts with McCall, Connors, the "Manager" and the "Accountant". I wonder who is left to contribute to the decision. If RG is re-appointed it is clear that Frawley is pro-RG too.

Frawley isn't pro RG however he can only submit the review/report. It is up to the board on what they do with it. The problem is the review by all accounts will be fairly critical of the board and CEO so how much they actually release of this report to the public will be interesting. RG's position though is clearly unattainable. He will not be head coach and from the sources I have heard there is no way the players will let him be associated with the team from a coaching perspective. From my own point of view why would you want him to be our attack coach? Have they or anyone who has looked at the Reds for 2 years not noticed attack has been non-existent.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
how the F, could a coach go from Head to Underling and still retain the respect / confidence of the players. Is Knuckles going to mentor the new bloke as well ?
If Intruder is right he'll just be mentoring the backs coach, the rest will be grown up enough to coach with eachother.

Status
Not open for further replies.