• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
He can't be involved with the QRU at any level.

The emotional piggy bank is so far into the negative territory now that he would be a massive distraction if he were to ever walk the halls at Ballymore.

Totally - how anyone could think for a nanosecond such an arrangement could work well both within a coaching group and within a player group leaves me incredulous.

And then there is the issue of accountability, at the heart of any soundly-run enterprise - where would such a nonsensical scenario demonstrate to coaches, players, etc that sustained failure to deliver the required outcomes will not be tolerated or accepted?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Three cheers for intruder.

Everyone currently talking boycott, could I suggest a holding pattern for now? It seems to me that a split board will end up with winners and losers. The losers position would surely be untenable and would have to go.

The winners may well be the non-RG Board members. And it surely (surely?) can't be much longer for the bloodletting to be public.

I'd support a petition right now though.

For the record, I am a Reds fan who lives in Sydney and would usually make two or three home games a year. I made none in 2015. It will likely be the same in 2016 if this is not rationally resolved. It's not a threat, just a very likely outcome.

Reactions: Ash

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
If Intruder is right he'll just be mentoring the backs coach, the rest will be grown up enough to coach with eachother.

If the QRU are worried about how much QC (Quade Cooper) could cost us, why don't they just use the cash set aside for a backs coach to keep him around next year? God knows he'd be more astute at that than Dick.

LRB

Stan Wickham (3)
I for the life of me cannot work out why the QRU have not announced a new coach or confirmed that they are formally seeking one and RG is in a caretaker role until the end of his contract. Alternatively they can announce RG has had his contract renewed.

I can understand that the Board is waiting for the findings to be delivered by Frawls, but their conduct shows a timidity that IMO does not bode well.

Any outcome would allow me to renew my membership or to finally finish that novel I've been partially attending to over the last couple of years.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It was my understanding that the senior players didn't approach carmichael - it was the other way round.

My mate spends about $10,000 a year on box/memberships etc. He has said he will not renew if RG is reappointed. He will wait for an announcement prior to committing. Bloke has been a member and paid that sort of money since arrivng from Africa several years ago. He is shitty........

Sad state of affairs

D

daz

I can see that there is some serious probability of some of you keeling over under the weight of expectation, so I'll tell you it won't be long now. News is in the pipeline.

Your trusty mailman is saddling up to make the rounds.

More to follow.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
As such a committee will be formed and the QRU will call for any final expressions of interest in the roles of Head Coach and Attack and Defence Coach with a view to finalising those appointments early next month.

That's something at least, even if it goes on to say RG will be included in the process.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This has to be good news:

Further recommendations will be to continue the work that has already been completed around coaching structures, including an exhaustive local and international market assessment. As such a committee will be formed and the QRU will call for any final expressions of interest in the roles of Head Coach and Attack and Defence Coach with a view to finalising those appointments early next month.

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/Ne...-Queensland-Reds-High-Performance-Review.aspx

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Stunned that a review performed by board members suggests that organisational structure is the issue, not the appointment of and continued failures of a coach.

If we had have won 8 games this year the organisational structure would have been fine, nor would a 5th year, 2 franchise head coach need a babysitter.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Stunned that a review performed by board members suggests that organisational structure is the issue, not the appointment of and continued failures of a coach.

If we had have won 8 games this year the organisational structure would have been fine, nor would a 5th year, 2 franchise head coach need a babysitter.

Thinker, I'll bet London to a brick that a major part of the politics of this whole 'review' process is that RG has heavily blamed 'poor structures and organisational support resources' for the various on and off field problems of the Reds HPU and that accordingly he, and the Reds' results, have suffered from 'a serious lack of best practice HPU structures'. (Note Large Finger Pointing In Direction of CEO's Office.) His numerous blind-eyed supporters on the QRU board may well have been swayed by this convenient post hoc concoction.

And that 'once this major organisational and structural problem' is corrected, the support required for the team's improvement 'will be of far superior quality' and accordingly 'far better results can be delivered (by RG) in 2016' especially with 'new support coaches chosen with the help of a new GM of the HPU as recommended by the review' and where such a GM HPU role 'should have been in place some time ago'.

In this helpful scenario, 2 full seasons of highly mediocre Reds results can be largely ascribed to 'serious deficiencies in the QRU's organisation' that can 'finally be corrected' as a result of the 'independent' review.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
What about "Yep, we got that wrong. Learnt our lesson and are moving on"?

Saying RG to be involved in process probably cost them another 1,000 memberships today alone.

At least the call for interest means Graham is gone right? I mean as incompetent as the board are, surely they couldn't re-appoint him?

His initial appointment was incredibly controversial and he was just a run of the mill bad coach then. His record is much worse now, despite inheriting a finals standard team.

Another issue I'd like addressed now, alongside the potential ethical/legal issues of the past, but where was the expressions of interest for any of the roles fill since 2011? And I know Link appointed guys without a formal process, he has on many times however addressed why he appointed them etc.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There are issues with this Reds news item. The most glaring being RG continues in the mix. Surely the response from the diehard fans and reputed thought of team members, simply means he must be cut.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Can anyone here actually imagine a top line coach, say like Blackadder, now putting his hand up to say, "Hell yes, I express my interest!".

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
I seriously think it's time to form a committee, or even a sub-committee, to determine the make-up of the new committee that selects the committee to recruit and appoint the General Manager, High Performance Unit.

The General Manager, High Performance can then make recommendations to the committee (that selects and appoints the GM HPU) as to how we undertake the process of recruiting a new Reds Head Coach, and Attack and Defence Coach.

Once the recruiting of the GM takes place we'll be in a position to think about recruiting (with the committee's authorisation) of the said HC, and ADC.

Of course, time is not of an essence ...

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
RG has such gravitational effect, I reckon he crapped out those dodgy burritos we found on Friday night, Cote! They had the density of lead.

The density was indeed approaching that critical mass. I do believe the Snow Leopard had a slight problem for some time afterwards that smelt much like RG's coaching. The link is becoming firmly established.

Status
Not open for further replies.