• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Incidentally, that game has two of the past Reds' No 10s directly facing each other. Quade v Ben Lucas. Also, Lachie Turner showed a good turn of foot and still has his finishing skills. Funny how Quade and Lachie look like different players over there.;)

For Montpellier, I thought Mowen had a really strong game, and his YC was a bad joke by the ref.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Quade copped a lot of criticism about his style of play over the past two seasons dispite his injuries he was made to change his game under the RG new vision of how the Reds should attack and it's affected him. He went from attacking at the line to sitting back almost 10 meters and distributing to his team mates. It's too easy for defenders to read his attack from so far back.
Lachie was close to the most consistent back last season and is showing the QRU that he isn't as slack as people make him out to be. Although I believe he has lost zip he knows how to read the game as well as any other winger in the game. Good for both of them.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I honestly think going to Toulon will be a great career move for Quade, and JOC (James O'Connor) too.

In Australia, as JOC (James O'Connor) pointed out this season, they are subject to constant scrutiny and they often have huge expectations placed upon them. When you couple this with the fact that these players have been riddled with injuries, its almost impossible for them to get any confidence back. When they do, we sing their praises and demand that they replicate their form each week. When they don't, we heap criticism upon them and demand that they are dropped / sacked / exiled from Australian rugby.

In France, however, they are just another player in a sea of stars. Not only that, but the training regime seems to be lighter (although I think a lot of the Toulon based players seem to be in fantastic physical condition - compare Drew / Giteau to before they left Australian rugby) and the culture seems to be focused upon enjoying your rugby first, and then through that enjoyment, playing good winning rugby.

I have a friend who is a fantastically talented natural athlete. You should see him play touch. He throws magnificent ~30m cutouts, executes chip kicks to perfection, has a great short game and most of all, reads the game fantastically well. Absolutely dominates the game, and the majority of my close friendship circle play 1st / 2nd grade Shute Sheild, or have played 1st colts in the past so its no cakewalk in terms of skill levels.

And while he was a good player at school, he was never the player he could have been. He heaped huge expectations on himself, and when it came to contact and games that mattered, he retreated into a shell. Self doubt can destroy a player.

When we play touch, and his focus is upon enjoying himself, he plays with confidence, and its beautiful to watch.

From seeing Giteau's and Mitchell's respective journeys in France, it seems that the relaxed culture there has reminded them that, at the end of the day, rugby is just a game, and that games are meant to be enjoyed.

At the World Cup, I don't think they really cared if they won or lost the grand final. I honestly believe that. I think they just wanted one last shot to redeem themselves for the way the squad had played in the past. They just wanted to give it a good crack, and I'm sure they are now resting easy knowing that they gave it their everything.

I think Quade will undergo a similar journey, and from watching the game on the weekend, I think its already begun. He's playing with confidence, and whilst I don't think Toulon is necessarily where he wants to be right now, I think it is exactly the place he needs to be.

Good game Quade, lets hope you can replicate it on the weekend.

If not, go and enjoy one of the several thousand other things you can enjoy in the sunny South of France.

Theres more to life than rugby. I hope Quade et al embrace this fact.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Great post.

I've certainly gotten tired of the constant QC (Quade Cooper) criticism which can often seem more emotive than reality. On song he is an explanation of why I love rugby.

Toulon may just hold my rugby enthusiasm as we get ready for an anticipated tough season at the Reds.

Crack on Quade.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
FYI

If you were wondering why Eurosport isn't televising any Top 14 games this weekend or next, it's because none are being played.

It's the first two rounds of the European Champions & Challenge Cups (tier 1 & 2). Next Top 14 games are the weekend of 28 November (Clermont v Toulon of interest).

We don't get any coverage of Champions Cup matches on Oz TV that I'm aware of (Toulon are playing Bath this weekend).

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Not true.

BeIN has the games.

Racing 92 v Glasgow is supposedly live.

Yet to check the other fixtures, but that one should hopefully be quality as long as Racing play wider.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
www.espn3.com has been airing Top 14 games for as long as I can remember, although I'm not sure if they have access to the entire broadcast catalogue anymore.

If that ends up being geo-blocked for anyone here just shoot me a private message and I will sort you out.

Reactions: dru

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Lots and lots of games on BeIN.

I count 12 live or delayed both Champions Cup and Challenge.

Toulon v Bath on at 2.15am on Monday Morning.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It's a live streaming service, but there's a channel on Fox as well. Go to their website. $16 a month, so it's pretty expensive standalone, but for me at least, they've got 3 Pro12 and 3 Aviva games per week, plus most of the Challenge Cup and Champions Cup, plus 6 Nations live and some Tests. Plus I watch SPL, Champions League and a couple of other things too.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Not true.

BeIN has the games.

Racing 92 v Glasgow is supposedly live.

Yet to check the other fixtures, but that one should hopefully be quality as long as Racing play wider.

What Channel Number is that? I've never heard of it or seen it on Foxtel.

Is it like Setanta used to be - where you pay for it as an extra?

Shame they're not showing it on Eurosport.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Correct. Took over from Setanta.

Channel 525.

The long and the short is that BeIN has Saudi money and they're looking to be a Global network. They've picked up quite a lot of Football worldwide, for Aus, a lot of licenses formerly held by ESPN and Fox, including Champions League and Bundesliga, while in Australia they've seemed to retain a lot of Rugby licenses too, I'm not sure whether thats an active decision by them or the knowledge that as the inheritor of the Setanta licenses, they've got a ready made fanbase for that sort of coverage.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Lachie Turner is a possible re-signing for the Reds. He has now completed his medical joker period in Toulon and he is believed to be returning to Brisbane with no real news of him re-signing or picking up a full contract over in France. The Reds might have had him signed before heading abroad

T

TOCC

Richie Arnold has moved west, Reds had their eye on him as well.. What other locks are there running around in the NRC/QPR?

Arnold said he had been in discussions with the Queensland Reds throughout 2015 as well but opted to move to the west to give himself the best chance at playing in a Super Rugby starting line-up.
Regardless of a host of ongoing injury woes in the past, Arnold says he is finally back to full health.
“I was talking to the Reds about possibly going there but I sort of had a look at their roster and thought it’s going to be pretty hard to get a shot there,” he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.