• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Timu is a backrower and I'm sure that's where he will play and not in the centres..

Which begs the question, if the Reds sign Houston, Higgers, Mowen, Timu and retain Tui then who gets cut?

Gill is gone so that opens up one spot, but then you have Browning, Fakaosiliea, Korczyk, Shatz and Gunn... So presumably two or three of those players will depart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
TOCC, that is a very big if. I think the Reds will be lucky to end up with one of Houston, Higgers and Mowen. My preference would be the first two as they offer the most with ball in hand but all three would be valuable. As for who is cut, keeping Schatz and Mowen doesn't make sense. Schatz could play bench but I want more impact from a backrow bench option.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Sneaky mention of Cummins coming back to aus rugby at the Reds after 7s. Back to family in Qld. With tomane, mitchell & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) overseas, could be back in Gold potentially.
Not if he drops the ball over the line like at the 7s

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Timu is a backrower and I'm sure that's where he will play and not in the centres..

Which begs the question, if the Reds sign Houston, Higgers, Mowen, Timu and retain Tui then who gets cut?

Gill is gone so that opens up one spot, but then you have Browning, Fakaosiliea, Korczyk, Shatz and Gunn. So presumably two or three of those players will depart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see Browning looking for a fresh opportunity.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Was that our only injury? Seemed to be a lot of cramping at one point when they replaced Hunt, Ready and Jake. I was really surprised they took Hunt off - he was having a sensational game. I get that cramp isn't good but he didn't seem to be indicating that he couldn't go on, and I am yet to be impressed by Gorumaru - he was completely bounced off a crucial one on one tackle tonight near the end and missed a vital shot at goal. He just doesn't seem to add any edge, admittedly he has limited time but is anyone seeing anything that indicates he should get more time?

Passing Through

Frank Row (1)
Guys, not posted here before. Was at the Force game the other week while on vacation visiting family. Used to live in Brisbane in the very early 80's, was at the famous Ballymore game when Queensland beat the All Blacks.
At that Force game, the players & team just didn't show any heart, fight, etc. Today they gave everything they had for each other. Fantastic win & great breakfast viewing over here in UK. Edge of the seat stuff, lost all shape in the 2nd half but sheer heart got the win. Really really well done, hopefully a changing point in fortunes. Will be following closely. Loved the Rugby in Brisbane. Alan

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
IMO last night showed why McIntyre has the running over Greene for the 10 jersey. Best game from McIntyre, Greene's game management still need a bit more fine tuning but also tough when given the last 20 minutes. Not a great play call from Greene re. Sopoanga try to bring the game to 1 point.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
IMO last night showed why McIntyre has the running over Greene for the 10 jersey. Best game from McIntyre, Greene's game management still need a bit more fine tuning but also tough when given the last 20 minutes. Not a great play call from Greene re. Sopoanga try to bring the game to 1 point.

Agree that it was McIntyre's best game, he is a really strong defender too. I was glad to see Greene given some more time but as you say it's difficult to come on late like that. I hoped to see some of the strong running Greene is known for but he will likely be better for the experience. Who was the captain making the calls near the end since Slipper and Simmons were gone?

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Jeez Intruder. Greene gets, what, 15-20 mins, overplays and Jake is the man? Surely we need a bit of game time to close out Greene.

Brilliant game especially the first half. Good to see. Wierd the number of injuries, just had the bye and now to Africa. Yikes.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Jeez Intruder. Greene gets, what, 15-20 mins, overplays and Jake is the man? Surely we need a bit of game time to close out Greene.

Brilliant game especially the first half. Good to see. Wierd the number of injuries, just had the bye and now to Africa. Yikes.

I'm not saying Greene isn't capable or McIntyre is our saviour. I just think at this moment McIntyre has that little bit more game management, that's all. I'm a big Greene fan and was leaning towards him getting a crack but I thought Jake last night steered the ship well.

The skipper doesn't make the calls on the plays, that's the 9&10's job. In which the tap on by Greene which lead to them scoring almost cost us. However all is forgiven after the win.

I also thought he should've taken that last kick off Goromaru. He has the length for that kick and Goro has been falling short off the mark with his goal-kicking lately.

Also Simmons is a confirmed traveller to Africa.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm a big Greene fan and was leaning towards him getting a crack but I thought Jake last night steered the ship well.

I can only agree with that. Speculation as to where we would be if the game time was reversed doesnt help much. We have to run with the coaching calls.

Last night was a game for all Red fans to take heart.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have done zero research to back up this claim, but I always feel that whenever a New Zealand team make a break there is always a plethora of support runners ready to receive a simple, short pass.

Aussie teams seem to make the same number of breaks, but there never seems to be support runners (or if there are, they are too few and poorly placed). I often wonder if we make as many breaks as they do, but we are just isolated and turned over, or the play breaks down with lack of support or whatever.

Last night the reds seemed to have enough guys in support in simple positions to ensure that we had maximum benefit from our breaks.

It was good to see.

In the second half, there were a number of overlaps ready to be exploited with just simple, short passes so long as we drew the man, however we passed a little (well a lot actually) early and that allowed the clan to drift with the ball and squeeze CFS towards the sideline.

Given this wasn;t happening in the first half, I think this is still probably due to us getting fatigued and going back to the habits of RG's play that we have been training for 3 years.

That will probably take more than a season to get over, but it will continue to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.