• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Two guys that the Reds are paying and they have hardly taken to the field in 2 years??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How does it work if you're injured playing for someone else? Does the Japanese club's insurance pay for his salary and rehab while CFS is out?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
CFS is the classic case of a brilliant schoolboy whose rose to the dizzy heights of a wallaby jumper (for a few times) but has regressed remarkably since that time.

Bloke should have been cut years ago.

Now that is one lad that would have a wonderful highlights reel

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
CFS is the classic case of a brilliant schoolboy whose rose to the dizzy heights of a wallaby jumper (for a few times) but has regressed remarkably since that time.

Bloke should have been cut years ago.

Now that is one lad that would have a wonderful highlights reel

The guy was only 22 when he last played for the Reds.

He'll (probably) mature a bit, realise he does actually want to put in the work, and have a fine career somewhere for someone.

But I agree it probably won't be at the Reds

T

TOCC

I'd argue that CFS hasn't regressed, and that he never really earned the Walllabies jersey to start with, rather he was selected on potential and physical attributes he was displaying at the time, and still does today.

Magnay is only 20years old and has shown enormous potential through the U20s circuit, he now just needs to get some game time in the QPR.. too early to write that guy off just yet

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^
Certainly not writing Magnay off. Lad just needs to get back into contention and he will grow from there.

Other bloke is so injury prone and I think his head space has not been right for years.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Magnay just had a shoulder injury in NRC. It happens in rugby. He shouldn't be far away.

On Quade's Instagram he looks bloody fit though.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'd argue that CFS hasn't regressed, and that he never really earned the Walllabies jersey to start with, rather he was selected on potential and physical attributes he was displaying at the time, and still does today.

Magnay is only 20years old and has shown enormous potential through the U20s circuit, he now just needs to get some game time in the QPR.. too early to write that guy off just yet

Scoring a try on his second touch of the ball (and a linebreak on the first) maybe helped as well

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Anyone know how Timu went for Souths today? Korczyk offering zero go forward at 6 now and Reds need it so hopefully Stiles wakes up & puts Houston or Timu there next weekend.

Reds need to get a Sports Pyschologist or 20 in there asap. Seemingly no belief in the squad they could actually stay with the Brumbies tonight.

Either that, or sack Stiles & bring back Link.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Timu only played his first full game last weekend, he needs to get more games under his belt, he went ok but didn't stand out..

Houston has been injured, think he is back this week.

As for Link, he would need his own psychologist to consider making a come back after the way he was treated by Australian rugby..

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Timu only played his first full game last weekend, he needs to get more games under his belt, he went ok but didn't stand out..

Houston has been injured, think he is back this week.

As for Link, he would need his own psychologist to consider making a come back after the way he treated by Australian rugby..

his plan against a certain future Tahs centre who is returning from Englland would make for violent reading

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
I guess given Sanday's performance off the bench we will see if Stile's hypocrisy exceeds his coaching talents.

The real question I'd like to know is how bad does our performance need to be before Jason Gilmore gets dumped? Players allegedly get dropped for conceding a penalty, where does 54 missed tackles land one? Or the 31 points per game conceded this season?

Heck, since Stiles joined the organisation we have won 13 from 55. At what point does that become a concern?

But hey our scrum is rock solid :rolleyes:

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
#thuglife
C7AC0746-00C6-4F40-B161-A6BC143B1683_zpsgefqgqbx.jpg

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
With a rookie coaching lineup, a completely incompetent organisation behind them, and a recent history of abject failure it would be folly to think that we would be anything other than competitive in our home games. Anything more would be a bonus (and bordering on the miraculous).

I am a little bemused by the expectations that have been floating around since before this season. There's an enormous cultural inertia to arrest and reverse before the Reds start winning well. That simply can't happen in an off season, or half a dozen matches. It's a season and a half kind of thing.

If nothing else, just think of the sports journos that talked up the Reds pre season - that's the giveaway that a Reds immediate resurgence to the top was laughable. Journos are informed of a lot, but seemingly understand very little.

I have no idea whether this coaching lineup will ultimately succeed or not - it'll take time to find out. There have been changes made in the way the Reds play though, so I remain (sonewhat) optimistic.

The course was set by the QRU though - and a bigger bunch of numpties I am yet to find.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
If nothing else, just think of the sports journos that talked up the Reds pre season - that's the giveaway that a Reds immediate resurgence to the top was laughable. Journos are informed of a lot, but seemingly understand very little.

The talk was justified, imagine a new competition started tomorrow with all teams having new coaches, support staff, management and club behind them.

Essentially get rid of all the baggage.

On paper you have to look at the Reds roster and think they were if not the best on paper team in Australia at least close to it. Most would also expect that when they lose they would be close games especially given the possible bench strength that the reds possess.

I am guilty of over rating the Reds but still think it was justified given the circumstances.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
The optimism for this season was justified but the risk was always the coaching staff and the management of the team.

There really is no end in sight as we've got the current set-up for a few years at least.

Wayne Smith in the Oz saying Reds are the most penalised team in the Comp which is a refection on the standards within the team.

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't mind the appointment of Stiles, acknowledging my personal connection, but the QRU should have taken a leaf out of the Force's play book and brought in some senior coaches to support him.

Not sure who as it's a thankless role really. Michael O'Connor as the attack coach could have been interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I cannot understand this 'justified over-rating' thesis pre this season.

Why?

The clear and present danger signs were there the moment the infamous QRU 'extensive global search' picked ...........'the good local QLD rugby man''.........just as they had shown was their preference in type in April 2012 in picking Graham.

Like Graham, Stiles was wholly unproven in attaining excellent results at Super level. All he had done since 2013 was improve the Reds scrum; their loose forwards play under Stiles was ordinary and uninspiring at best.

The Reds did not improve when Stiles was promoted to co-Interim HC last year.

Then the QRU poured more risk onto the burning fire of anticipatory danger, the QRU and Stiles picked a bunch of utter greenhorns as Reds Assistant Coaches.

The risk this total lack of relevant experience and track record would end in, best case, just clinging on to mediocrity, and, worse case, genuine disaster, with this entire coaching combination, went through the stratosphere.

Then they repeated their reckless love affair with 'prestige' signings at high prices - Moore, Douglas, Smith, Cooper etc - despite this approach having delivered nothing for them in the past (and btw delivering nothing now).

When has the above formula EVER delivered a top finals team in Super rugby?

This was in truth not a basis for rational optimism; it was a basis for great caution and fear of what might come of it. Even more so if one added to the mix the 'good local rugby-loving QLD-er who'd never run a sports organisation in his life' as the new QRU CEO.

The consequences - 1 win from 7 games in 2017 - trending worse than even RG's record - now unfold.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I cannot understand this 'justified over-rating' thesis pre this season.

Why?

The clear and present danger signs were there the moment the infamous QRU 'extensive global search' picked .....'the good local QLD rugby man''...just as they had shown was their preference in type in April 2012 in picking Graham.

The consequences - 1 win from 7 games in 2017 - trending worse than even RG's record - now unfold.

3 wins v 0 last year. theory disproven ;)

/s

You have also failed to consider my objective statistical peer-reviewed analysis of the Queensland Reds 2017 season and beyond which clearly shows that from next week on, we shall go on a 28+ game winning streak in which we prove THE GLORIES OF THE RED ARMY AND ITS CRUSHING VICTORIES TO COME OVER ALL OPPOSING CAPITALIST PIGS :):):):););););):D:D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p:p

/s

Attachments

• An objective statistical peer-reviewed analysis of the Queensland Reds 2017 season FIXED.xlsx
    15.6 KB · Views: 215

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
What the hell happened to the old Queensland spirit? Where's their heart? Their passion for the jersey?

Bugger me. Brave men used to tremble when they fronted up against the Bananabenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.