• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I did some figures also. Just because I'm a masochist apparently.

Won 1 from 7.
Won 2 halves from 14 (drawn 2 also).

Avg 1st half margin -2.7
Avg 2nd half margin -12

Three games we have improved in the second half or stayed the same. 4 games we have dropped off. The 3 games were against SA conference, the 4 were against Aus or NZ conference.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
2nd half points also a big concern.

We scored three tries (2 in the last quarter) to win against the Sharks, but since then...

Force = 7 pnts (1 converted try) v 14 pnts
Crusaders = 0 pnts v 15 pnts
Lions = 14 pnts (2 tries, but absolute consolation tries) v 27 pnts
Jaguares = 5 pnts (1 try) v 7 pnts
Hurricanes = 3 pnts v 20 pnts
Brumbies = 3 pnts v 33 pnts

So three times (against the top teams) we haven't been able to score a try in the 2nd half. Two other games we only scored 1 and then the other we scored two late consolation ones.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
One of the figures I extrapolated was the difference between the first half margin and the second half margin. For lack of a better word I called this the 'swing' as it showed best how much our performance changed between the first and second halves.

SHA +8
FOR -7
CRU -28
LIO 0
JAG +10
HUR -15
BRU -33

The Brumbies and the Crusaders being the biggest capitulations and the Hurricanes being less so but still significant.

The Lions game was probably an improvement even though the swing was zero because we lost both halves by 15pts but played the second half with 13 men for a period and 14 for most of it.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I still support Stiles

We have a great forward pack but the front row and definitely, the second row are not performing to the required level. Only brightish spots are Higgers and Smith.

Is that the players fault? or a valid Stiles criticism? To me and in particular, Moore, Douglas and Simmons, all very experienced Wallabies have been quite poor. Those guys should be able to flick a switch on game day but they cannot seem to find the fucker.

Rodda was great in first game but has had injury and disappeared.

Frisby has been a disappointment this year. Thought he would go up another notch after the EOYT but ? Tuttle looks OK but just.

10 spot is a shambles. Quade hasn;t played well at all and McIntyre just continues with his game. I seriously doubt whether he has the capacity to ever become a good one.

Someone mentioned the lacking of passion blah blah.. I agree that if you bring in non Queenslanders or old ones (like Moore) some of that "passion" won't be there.

Home grown produce gives the best yield

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
One of the figures I extrapolated was the difference between the first half margin and the second half margin. For lack of a better word I called this the 'swing' as it showed best how much our performance changed between the first and second halves.

SHA +8
FOR -7
CRU -28
LIO 0
JAG +10
HUR -15
BRU -33

The Brumbies and the Crusaders being the biggest capitulations and the Hurricanes being less so but still significant.

The Lions game was probably an improvement even though the swing was zero because we lost both halves by 15pts but played the second half with 13 men for a period and 14 for most of it.

Where did you get a swing of -28 points from?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Simmons is kinda like nonu was, shithouse at Super Rugby most the time. Sooner Rodda develops the better. Also heard last night that Slipper is out for 12 months potentially. Shame to hear Houston is keen to bail back to Europe but I can understand. Hopefully this allows us to bring back Naisarani if the Force fold. Also...DHP would be a pretty handy pickup!

Who else from the force (if it's the force) would you prefer to have come to the Reds/home to Queensland?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Where did you get a swing of -28 points from?

We won the first half 20-7 and they won the second 15-0 for a full time score of 22-20 to the Crusaders.

Second half margin (-15) minus first half margin (+13) = -28

Basically we won't the first half well and they won the second half well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We won the first half 20-7 and they won the second 15-0 for a full time score of 22-20 to the Crusaders.

Second half margin (-15) minus first half margin (+13) = -28

Basically we won't the first half well and they won the second half well.

I don't think that logic really holds.

If it had been a nil-all second half and the Reds had won 20-7 your 'swing' statistic would have been -13 in a game you won comfortably.

If the Crusaders hadn't scored a point in the second half an you'd scored less than 13 points you'd still be showing a negative swing.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Putting aside new players on the market, there are some very interesting contracts up at the end of the season for the Reds. From what I can tell Rob Simmons and Cadeyrn Neville are both done (I'd cut Simmo and keep Neville), Timu and Tui (Tui will go, Timu depends on the next few months I guess).

Frisby and McIntyre are both up I believe which is significant given the current playing performances of both (give 7s a go Pickle!)

Then we have a bunch of outside backs including Hunt, CFS, Nabuli, Kuridrani and Magnay. I am not sure what the status of Perese is.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
2nd half points also a big concern.

We scored three tries (2 in the last quarter) to win against the Sharks, but since then.

Force = 7 pnts (1 converted try) v 14 pnts
Crusaders = 0 pnts v 15 pnts
Lions = 14 pnts (2 tries, but absolute consolation tries) v 27 pnts
Jaguares = 5 pnts (1 try) v 7 pnts
Hurricanes = 3 pnts v 20 pnts
Brumbies = 3 pnts v 33 pnts

So three times (against the top teams) we haven't been able to score a try in the 2nd half. Two other games we only scored 1 and then the other we scored two late consolation ones.

Don't want to rain on your parade RR but the score against the Brumbies at half time was 10 - 10. To be accurate, Reds scored 0 in the second half.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Neville is a perpetual disappointment to me. He just seems to go missing a lot when the pressure comes on.

Simmo is good at the lineout. Damned with faint praise.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't think that logic really holds.

If it had been a nil-all second half and the Reds had won 20-7 your 'swing' statistic would have been -13 in a game you won comfortably.

If the Crusaders hadn't scored a point in the second half an you'd scored less than 13 points you'd still be showing a negative swing.

Yeah it works fine in that case. It's just a comparison between first and second half performance.

If we win the first half by 13pts and the second is nil all then the comparison between first and second halves should be negative regardless of whether we win comfortably or not.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Yeah Scoey's metric is fine, although you do have to be careful interpreting it.

Getting flogged in the first half then slightly less flogged in the second half gives you a positive score when in reality it may just be that the opposition took the foot of the gas, which is what I think happened in both the Lions and Jags games.

The Reds can put in for about 50 minutes but after that they start to miss tackles, their attacking shape disintegrates, and they start dropping the ball. It makes no difference who is starting and who's on the bench, so it's not the quality of the bench. If it's not a fitness issue, I don't know what else could explain it. And it's not just this season either, second-half blowouts have been a feature of the Reds for a few years now.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I would bid bigtime for Lance - bring him home. Both current options just not performing well.

Would keep Simmo over Neville Douglas or Rodda. Bloke bleeds Queensland. 2 of the others are both NSW - dunno about Neville. Partly about the passion and culture that players bring. The passion should be for Queensland first and not for your "heritage".

If the passion and culture argument are valid (and to me they are) then pick local lads. If the age of professionalism has outweighed the other argument then get rid of the constraints currently in place re foreign players. You might end up with a team of 23 Kiwis wearing the Reds jersey.

Personally that is not for me

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Putting aside new players on the market, there are some very interesting contracts up at the end of the season for the Reds. From what I can tell Rob Simmons and Cadeyrn Neville are both done (I'd cut Simmo and keep Neville), Timu and Tui (Tui will go, Timu depends on the next few months I guess).

Frisby and McIntyre are both up I believe which is significant given the current playing performances of both (give 7s a go Pickle!)

Then we have a bunch of outside backs including Hunt, CFS, Nabuli, Kuridrani and Magnay. I am not sure what the status of Perese is.

I thought that Frisby was announced as being re-signed for another couple of years at the start of this season? I can't imagine McIntyre being re-signed, he would be better developing his game in Japan or Europe.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Didn't Frisby just resign untill 2019:?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ahh. You're right. I missed that. Good point. Oh well. He's safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
You know things have gone from bad to (very much) worse when a journo who was a near-sycophant to the QRU for years, today says:

Capitulation to Brumbies shows Queensland Reds in dire straits

.......and, can you believe it, in the linked article also says some blame must be shared by the QRU board (pigs do fly over Ballymore, sometimes, yes they do).

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s/news-story/550fa87d5d30059a5f8ace15c6073297

Status
Not open for further replies.