• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
One thing that I did not last night was the default Wallabies Captain getting a pat on the head and losing his bottle to start a push and shove with a forearm to Coleman's face. The bloke is not a starting Hooker for the Wallabies on form and is perhaps the worst Wallabies Captain in the modern era along with Elsom. The fact that in a team with the worst disciplinary record in the comp he was so easily riled up and baited should speak volumes.

The "Leaders" in the Reds are part of the problem in terms of discipline and the carry on from the coach hasn't helped, much like Cheika's ranting and raving, it generally achieves little of worth.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
For fuck sake get this through your heads.

Link is never coming back!!!!

But, but, you are so close. The time warp machine parts are on order, you got QC (Quade Cooper), back, Higgers, Smith, Moore, Douglas, you still has Frisby and Simmons and I am sure Genia and even Gill can come back. So if you keep the Link fantasy alive how much more of the past do you need to be successful?

Even the Tahs are doing there bit by being mediocre like the past.

I suppose if the time warp machine idea is a bust you can go back to the Youtube "next big thing" selection policy.:D

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I won't name names, but interesting that in December last year I was talking with a mate who is a current player (and after a few too many beers) when discussing this years Super comp, I made the point that the Brumbies would struggle without a top 10, and I thought the Reds would be best placed as they had the most complete squad. He said to me Brumbies would play conservative no risk rugby and top the conference, but don't expect anything special. He was completely dismissive of the Reds and said they are a fractured side no real complete plan. He predicted a last place finish.

I should have listened more and followed with my tipping - this is my worst results ever tipping on the basis of potentials and what the outcomes should be.

Did he say why he reckons the reds are fractured?

Haven't developed chemistry with each other yet or conflict between players?

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
One thing that I did not last night was the default Wallabies Captain getting a pat on the head and losing his bottle to start a push and shove with a forearm to Coleman's face. The bloke is not a starting Hooker for the Wallabies on form and is perhaps the worst Wallabies Captain in the modern era along with Elsom. The fact that in a team with the worst disciplinary record in the comp he was so easily riled up and baited should speak volumes.

The "Leaders" in the Reds are part of the problem in terms of discipline and the carry on from the coach hasn't helped, much like Cheika's ranting and raving, it generally achieves little of worth.

I agree with your post, but in addition, I see it as also a bit of frustration creeping in to squeak. Not to mention words may have been exchanged.

I also reckon (semi-related) that Cheika wants the Australian teams playing a similar gameplan to the wallabies - one of the problems with it though is that they cannot achieve balance between aggression and discipline and will go too far over to one side or the other

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Stiles reminds me of the coaches I had in high school. No idea how to motivate a team, just thinks that the 'old-school' hard arse approach is the way to go. In what world is public humiliation of your players considered to be acceptable, let alone ideal, coaching practise?

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I'd like to know, during my insomniac night in the wee early hours, if the players took the loss as hard as we fans.
I can't help thinking that they were probably downtown in Eagle Street, or over at the Valley, throwing their under-earned dollars around like confetti with dolly birds vying for attention, saying "next week we'll win".

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'd like to know, during my insomniac night in the wee early hours, if the players took the loss as hard as we fans.
I can't help thinking that they were probably downtown in Eagle Street, or over at the Valley, throwing their under-earned dollars around like confetti with dolly birds vying for attention, saying "next week we'll win".

I reckon they probably would.
Definitely took it harder than me. I didn't give a fuck that they lost. In fact the most frustrating thing is that the fucking train left right as I arrived @ Milton station :mad:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Lee Enfield nailed it further up - Reds can score enough tries to win games, but their biggest problems, not unlike the Tahs, is the highly inconsistent application in defence, and the propensity to give away really stupid penalties (and cards). It seems to me that these two teams, and to some extent the other Aus teams (less so the Brumbies) have serious mental application issues and cannot focus for entire games, or even significant periods of them. I won't try to make this a simple issue as the causes would be multifactorial - overall squad morale, understanding and trust in a game plan, but also individual application.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Lee Enfield nailed it further up - Reds can score enough tries to win games, but their biggest problems, not unlike the Tahs, is the highly inconsistent application in defence, and the propensity to give away really stupid penalties (and cards). It seems to me that these two teams, and to some extent the other Aus teams (less so the Brumbies) have serious mental application issues and cannot focus for entire games, or even significant periods of them. I won't try to make this a simple issue as the causes would be multifactorial - overall squad morale, understanding and trust in a game plan, but also individual application.

The reds are consistent in defence - consistently bad

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm going to assume the silence on the matter means everyone has come to the conclusion it's time for another world-wide search?
Wonder who else is skulking around the car park at Ballymore? That puddle would have to be pretty shallow by now.

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Blues, Clan and Ponies left to play this season. I would like to put forward we close this thread now and delete it. Nothing good can come of it from here.

At least we can still dream of success in 2018.....so long as we aren't the one's dumped by the ARU.

They have Red Dog all trained up to run the kicking tee out to Quade, why don't they just do it? Would at least give my kids something to look forward to and it wouldn't make us play any shiter......surely.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Did he say why he reckons the reds are fractured?

Haven't developed chemistry with each other yet or conflict between players?

Yes I was told but wont drop anybody in the shit.

Suffice to say an effective leadership group and coaching staff would've addressed it and that is another reason why I have no faith in Moore, Simmons and other "senior" players as leaders. Though the coaching group can undermine said Senior Players efforts as well.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't entirely disagree with @Scrubber2050

QC (Quade Cooper) has always tended to do what he wants, when he wants.

The problem now is that he clearly is not PRACTISING any of his tricks, so they just don't come off. No one is stopping him, and I don't think anyone has the balls to try, because he'll just pout and fuck off somewhere.

Take the cross field kicks for example - his execution this year is abysmal. His success rate with them this year puts them in the random chance category. If he's not PRACTISING these and having them (regularly) come off at training, then it just should not be attempted on the field. Just wastes good quality ball and opportunities to build pressure.

(Similarly with Frisby's box kicking, by the way - clearly there is no PRACTISING)

Don't even get me started on QC (Quade Cooper)'s restarts. They are just so clearly fucked that it's not even funny.

underthesticks

Bob McCowan (2)
I think the whole organisation needs to be rebuilt.

I started my membership in 2014 (in newborn daughters name). 6 weeks after paying I had to call to ask when membership package would arrive, 2 weeks later it arrived and dod not have what it was meant to, another 5 weeks later it arrived.

2015- paid membership and waited 10 weeks for membership package, contained wrong items and then a few weeks later the correct stuff arrived.

2016- paid membership and received no emails, contacted reds and checked email address, told problem was fixed and received no emails. Contacted again and told it was fixed..gave up and received no emails for the entire season.

2017-added membership for newborn son the day before first game. Baby membership includes a birth certificate and I had to remind the girl on the phone that she need my sons full name for this. After round 4 I called asking where membership was and was told there had been delays and it would arrive within a week. Called 2 weeks before fist bye and told there was a delay and that membership package should arrive within a few days. Yesterday spent 30 minutes on hold and gave up. I am hoping my membership cards arrive during the season!!!

I hope I am an exception to the rule but I have absolutely no faith in the Reds off the field and wonder if the whole organisation is poorly run? This could explain a lot of the issues on the field.

I have had an absolute debacle dealing with the membership team. Contacted in October to renew, yep, sweet, paid by credit card over phone. My mate gets his pack 6 weeks later (same seats). I call up another 2 weeks after and apparently I havent renewed. I call up once a week asking what's going on to have the consultant say "leave it with me". Repeat 5 times, getting nowhere, I send an angry email and the head of sales takes over. 3 weeks of him fucking around and I'm still nowehere. In the end, I don't get sent a pack or anything, I get sent 8 e-tickets. Absolute idiots.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I have had an absolute debacle dealing with the membership team. Contacted in October to renew, yep, sweet, paid by credit card over phone. My mate gets his pack 6 weeks later (same seats). I call up another 2 weeks after and apparently I havent renewed. I call up once a week asking what's going on to have the consultant say "leave it with me". Repeat 5 times, getting nowhere, I send an angry email and the head of sales takes over. 3 weeks of him fucking around and I'm still nowehere. In the end, I don't get sent a pack or anything, I get sent 8 e-tickets. Absolute idiots.
There's fuck all members left, I can only assume the membership team is substantially reduced since the halcyon days.

Seriously though, the actual membership team is outsourced now I think. The guys you talk too represent other organisations as well and different organisations are responsible for different parts of the membership: payment by one company the actual packs by another etc. The Reds don't own the whole process like they used too.

A couple of years ago I got stuffed around and they pointed to partners not delivering for them. Who'd want to be a contract manager?

My hope was that bringing the CEO from radio land was going to really shake the complacency out of the place; on field and off. Radio is cut throat, I was sure he'd bring some of that with him. At only 3 wins this year, I am not sure he has brought anything other than perhaps more loserness.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
The stats have been telling the story all year.

Worst in the comp for penalties conceded, ruck penalties and yellow cards.

George Smith has made lots of turnovers and tackles, but he's almost the most penalised player in the comp.

And Nabuli has 3 yellows, unforgiveable for a winger.

Kerevi, DP and KHunt all up the top of the list for most missed tackles in the comp. 67 misses between them

One of the worst dominant tackle record in the comp

Fewest penalty goals in the comp

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Don't normally quote myself, but......... FFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.