• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Sacking Stiles is not an answer except paying out another few contracts.

The Reds like the rest of Australian Rugby are reaping the crop sown by the ARU and State Unions since the advent of Professionalism. The systems have been "professional" only in the payments to everyone involved and the answer has been more staff and more consultants all of which have produced no results and held no accountability.

The core problems are the lack of skills. How many dropped balls from the Reds, how many fundamental skill errors. That on top of yet another two yellow cards. I am surprised that there are people again posting how the Reds were screwed by the referees with the cards. The FACTS are stark, the Reds have the worst disciplinary record in the competition and this has had a material effect on outcomes when they were actually in a position to win, despite having a one man attack plan.

Whoever the attack coach for the Reds is woeful, without doubt, but without basic skills they cannot execute anything more adventurous. That said look at the results being obtained by Wessels at the Force in his first year with a pretty bare bones squad, far better than the Reds with so many Wallabies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
What bothered me in the last coach selection panel was the involvement of the ARU. Belatedly and impossibly talking about coaching pathways in subtext to the QRUs international_search_3.0. Turned back by the ARU at the exit gates of the car park, the QRU should now be quite familiar with the Balymore grounds as well as the offices.

I have no idea how good Stiles is or how good he is capable of being. But the trio is a failed experiment. Probably always was. Thought Stiles did OK with the forwards. He has previously achieved impressive possession stats and an excellent set piece. What happened to that?

To the guys saying the issue is fundamental regarding skills building, yes. BUT.

Plenty of these guys have had success internationally and success at Soup where handling did not let them down. It's a who's who of big rugby names in 2017. We have lost some of that experience (check the two benches last night) but the starting 15 remains an impressive list.

Our issue is coaching and strategy. Discipline. Not convinced with the results of our S&C either.

Back to the song! (It's kind of catchy.)

Moonrat

Frank Nicholson (4)
As I stretched across four seats last night barely in hearing distance of another soul sipping on some of the worlds most expensive "disco piss" out of a plastic cup.
I asked myself am I enjoying this - do I want to continue to spend, and lets be honest its not cheap, another $100+ on this shower of s@$t and the answer is no.
Losing is one thing, being beaten by a better team is acceptable, being beaten on the final buzzer by a poor reffing call kills you but atleast you feel alive. Watching your team being out enthused by a lesser team (no disrespected intended) drives me crazy.
QC (Quade Cooper) pathetic attempt at a tackle again (how can people crow about his attacking prowess when he can't do a basic of the game and is hidden all game in defence), Eto's yellow (what the f%&k was he thinking) Frisby you idiot.
I hated Stiles pre game chat about giving respect, in my mind talking in those terms demonstrates you have little respect for the team, he openly slags of his players in press conferences the arrogance he portrays reeks of everything that is bad within the group.

The season is done - use the remaining time to give next years crop some much needed experience and start to work out how to exit out of the very expensive contracts you do have, QC (Quade Cooper), Hunt, Eto, Moore, Douglas, Simmons, Tui (gone).
Give me a group of young, enthusiast, Queensland rugby union boys and I will be back. continue to use hasbeens, league converts and self promoting individuals and you will never have a dollar off me again.

Anyway bring on todays game - heading to Easts v Souths as the bretheran have a bye today should improve my mood

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
While my previous rant and so many could be have been written anytime over last four years (and probably has been) I'll still be there every damn week because that's what I do.

The most frustrating part of all of this/these 4 years is the sheer contempt that everyone at the QRU has for the fans. They are quite happy to take exorbitant membership fees and charge top dollar for match day tickets, but then resign the franchise to bottom of the table finishes despite a very strong playing roster.

Many here said Frawley was an improvement but so far he seems as incompetent and complicit as the previous administration.

This team has been on track to have it's worst season ever since round 2 and not a single effort has been made to save the season, even an empty gesture to show the fanbase that "hey, we are trying". Instead, its about coaches collecting paychecks and board members feeling important.
I think the whole organisation needs to be rebuilt.

I started my membership in 2014 (in newborn daughters name). 6 weeks after paying I had to call to ask when membership package would arrive, 2 weeks later it arrived and dod not have what it was meant to, another 5 weeks later it arrived.

2015- paid membership and waited 10 weeks for membership package, contained wrong items and then a few weeks later the correct stuff arrived.

2016- paid membership and received no emails, contacted reds and checked email address, told problem was fixed and received no emails. Contacted again and told it was fixed....gave up and received no emails for the entire season.

2017-added membership for newborn son the day before first game. Baby membership includes a birth certificate and I had to remind the girl on the phone that she need my sons full name for this. After round 4 I called asking where membership was and was told there had been delays and it would arrive within a week. Called 2 weeks before fist bye and told there was a delay and that membership package should arrive within a few days. Yesterday spent 30 minutes on hold and gave up. I am hoping my membership cards arrive during the season!!!

I hope I am an exception to the rule but I have absolutely no faith in the Reds off the field and wonder if the whole organisation is poorly run? This could explain a lot of the issues on the field.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Having never played super or international rugby, I don't think the Reds attack is the problem. They consistently score around 4 tries a game, which should be good enough to bag wins. The problem is the defence is non existent, discipline is non existent, basic skills are poor, fitness is poor. All of those problems can be corrected by the head coach and his assistants and support staff, that is what the offseason is for and training during the week in season.

There has been no improvement at all as the season has gone on. The Reds don't need a broom through the place, they need a sand blaster, as this shit is engrained.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/reds-2017.16654/page-67

For quick reference that's where the discussion of the assistant coaches for the reds starts.

For the record, I still think that Stiles has what it takes to be a good head coach, but suffers from only ever being with utter losers so he has some unbelievably bad habits.

Chances of a good outcome this season were borked as soon as a completely noob coaching line-up was appointed. It was obvious to anyone with half a clue.

Keeps Stiles as head coach or not. I'm truly numb to that decision. But for fucks sake, appoint some fucking winning experience at the provincial level in the coaching setup to give the programme half a chance of success.

As for the players (the real problem here) - have a serious look at yourselves. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves for your behaviour on the field this season.

Professional is not just getting paid to turn up.

Entitled is what I'm seeing, and you deserve nothing but derision.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Mate, stop outing yourself as a QRU board member on here.

oh apologies for a simply oversight on my behalf

F*#K every useless MF on a QRU or ARU board. They all need to be sacked and bring in people who have grassroots rugby background

A lot of fat cats and corporate wigs are ruining Australian rugby because they sit on the board, collect their free tickets and go to rugby games around the world but don't know how to give back to the game.

Volunteer board members comprising of representatives from 3rd tier rugby who bleed nothing but grassroot rugby could do a better job at the long term direction of the game then what we currently have in Qld and Australia.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
A rookie head coach supported by rookie assistant coaches was a poor decision clearly. Stiles really needed to be an assistant coach for successful teams before being promoted. The current assistants are ok on paper as rookie assistants, but only 1 of them at a time, not both, and in to support an experienced successful head coach, not an inexperienced unsuccessful one.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Game plan stops at Stiles. Kicking the ball away all season when between 40m - 60m out from the opposition try line is obviously a game plan.

The only reason we beat the Rebels is we mysteriously stopped kicking with 25 minutes to go and managed to run in some tries.

Vs the Force we are behind and chasing the game and then Tuttle then Cooper both kick in decent position on first or season phase after it's already been done all game and all season, without working. You can't blame this on the players, it has to be a gameplan and the buck stops with Stiles.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Spent my whole life playing second row for obvious reasons and never once penalised for a high tackle... Never even occured to me. I was no superstar defender but never gave away a penalty. How can professional footballers continually do this??how many high tackle penalties have been conceeded? We are surely leading that too!!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The players could address many of their issues themselves.

They don't.

This problem is not just applicable the the Reds, but every player in Australian super rugby teams. Australian players have no accountability, they are happy to revel in mediocrity, and that is a generous way to describe their attitude and skills, because win lose or draw, they ride the gravy train.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Biggest problem is that QC (Quade Cooper) does what he wants. I've said it before that he is a difficult bloke to coach, in that he will still do what HE wants once on the field.. Bloke needs to be dropped and fuck, dare I say bring back McIntyre. He cannot be worse.
Too many blokes are playing for their own fucking glory (and still not achieving it)
Kerevi is just a shit captain. I don't understand why Stiles would choose the bloke over Higgers in particular, or anybody else for that matter.

Assistants need to really be the firing line as well as Stiles.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^
But QC (Quade Cooper) has been poor (even though some may still make baseless excuses for him) I'd drop him for a few reasons.
Don't like McIntyre but the "team" can't do much worse with him. And that would send a message through the whole squad.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Don't like McIntyre but the "team" can't do much worse with him. And that would send a message through the whole squad.

Dropping Quade won't solve anything on the issues that are hampering the team. Discipline and defence is our undoing. If you're wanting to drop people to make a statement, I'd suggest you'd be looking at Nabuli, Frisby and Kervi are your target men. The first two must be close to the most penalised while the former is up there with the worst tackler in the team.

But whatever, drop Quade because he hasn't been performing at 100% and that'll magically stop us leaking easy points through penalties and all the line breaks......

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^
100% you say

I think there is an extra zero in there.

But I agree with Frisby and Kerevi comment.

My point re Quade was just that he always plays HIS game irrespective of the game plan (my opinion). That was a bit different 5 years ago under the Missing Link). Bloke needs to be pulled into line (IMO) and that would send a message to the rest.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
QC (Quade Cooper) was hardly our biggest problem on the field last night even with some questionable (but seemingly within the "tactics" the side was employing) kicking and his usual mixed bag of defense (makes one good one on one tackle out wide where he's getting targeted in space and then minutes later throws a fucking dumb high shot on a guy in the midfield).

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I won't name names, but interesting that in December last year I was talking with a mate who is a current player (and after a few too many beers) when discussing this years Super comp, I made the point that the Brumbies would struggle without a top 10, and I thought the Reds would be best placed as they had the most complete squad. He said to me Brumbies would play conservative no risk rugby and top the conference, but don't expect anything special. He was completely dismissive of the Reds and said they are a fractured side no real complete plan. He predicted a last place finish.

I should have listened more and followed with my tipping - this is my worst results ever tipping on the basis of potentials and what the outcomes should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.