• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Another dire season done and dusted. I just looked back at how confident I was before the start of the season, and whilst I was probably over optimistic it has turned out much worse than I could have imagined.

Basic skills like tackling properly and kicking are missing, mentally they were out of it after a few games. I'm ambivalent about Stiles, easy to blast your players for not doing what you supposedly tell them but as head coach if you can't get them to do what you want then you have failed... It's got shades of RG all over again. But if the players aren't listening then do you turf out the worst offenders or cut at the top?

Always will be a Reds fan but my patience has been tested to the limit and beyond and I really don't know what to expect for next year apart from more of the same listless penalty riddled poor performances.

2011 seems like decades ago, not years...

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I should clarify what I mean by "he does what he wants".

I think I does implement the game plans better than most.

However, he is also given the latitude to deviate when he sees the opportunity. I've said before that I think he's one of the best readers of the game, and I still maintain that is true. watching him live so often it's unbelievable how far ahead of everyone else he is in terms of his where the game is going to be played.

I believe that coaches were right to give him this latitude. And probably should still, to a degree.

The problem I see is that his execution these days is way off being able to take advantage of the opportunities he so often recognises.

Take that cross field kick under penalty advantage (out on the full). Take any NZ half or Fb, and that kick would have gone to hand and a try scored. QC (Quade Cooper) cannot execute it now for whatever reason. We are left with a cop out "well it was under penalty advantage so doesn't really matter" when we should really lament the lost 7 points.

Or the "flat" passes that are now called forward because drops off his pass making it look forward as opposed to continuing forward to mask the "flatness". Who's the coach that's game enough to correct that? I doubt anyone's even tried to - but really QC (Quade Cooper) needs to.

I think he's fantastic, but he's badly in need of a head doctor and maybe even a reality check.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tldr: he does implement gameplans, but he no longer has the skills to make use of opportunities as he used to (and quite rightly should do if he were capable of doing so).

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Is it just his body (knees/shoulders) can't reliably do what it used to?

What I find amazing is that someone like DP isn't practicing goal kicking every day of his life.

If he could turn himself even into an average goal kicker he'd be just about first picked.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

tragic

John Solomon (38)
It was more that I posted that before the Tahs game and they duly proved me right. It would be nice if it wasn't so predictable.

The predictability was what I was referring to.
It was prophetic but in a "I predict the sun will rise in the east and set in the west tomorrow" kinda way.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
The only positive for the Reds was the Genia story disappearing so quickly.

I cannot recall a home player ever being as unpopular as Frisby is right now and he'd even challenge the majority of the Waratahs over the years.

Friday was eerily quiet even for a small crowd of 12k, with the only atmosphere coming when the Reds scored, the deserved booing and the groans whenever Frisby got involved.

Would have been interesting trying to sell 2018 to fans with Stiles and Frisby while the most popular Reds player of the last decade (and best Australian in the position) told he wasn't wanted.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Friday was eerily quiet even for a small crowd of 12k, with the only atmosphere coming when the Reds scored, the deserved booing and the groans whenever Frisby got involved.

Next home game, to make noise, everyone attending should start chanting this at the appropriate times:

Reactions: dru

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
The only positive for the Reds was the Genia story disappearing so quickly.

I cannot recall a home player ever being as unpopular as Frisby is right now and he'd even challenge the majority of the Waratahs over the years.

Would have been interesting trying to sell 2018 to fans with Stiles and Frisby while the most popular Reds player of the last decade (and best Australian in the position) told he wasn't wanted.

I get the feeling that Stiles will do his best to offload Frisby

Reactions: gel

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Great line on the Report Card today; switch the coaches at the start of the season and the Reds probably win by fifty. It was a mistake to take Stiles over Matt O'Connor.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Agree, MOC also would have been a disaster.

Anyway, Stiles needs to go sadly.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/05/27/stiles-slams-fellow-reds-after-force-loss/

Angry Queensland Reds coach Nick Stiles says he will blood young players for the rest of the Super Rugby season after their feint finals hopes were extinguished by the Western Force.

“I’m filthy, simple as that,” Stiles said.

“We can’t sustain 80 minutes of football.

“We scored the first try and then we just go into a mode of ‘the game’s over’, and taking soft options after that.

“We ended up getting the lead (back) and then we feel content and go into our shells again.”

Stiles also slammed winger Eto Nabuli as “stupid” for the high shot that led to the team’s second yellow card of the night.

You can't tell me there's not coaching issues in there.....

With nothing left to play for, Stiles said he would play the kids.

“We’ve got some young guys coming through that we will use in the last three games to push them through, give them more minutes and chase victories,” he said.

“(Maybe that will) get the group hungry … because we’re not there at the moment.”

Awesome, back to blaming players and coaches taking no responsibility. That kind of tirade won't get his players hungry. Way to get his senior players offside with the coaching staff.

Bringing in kids to suffer 50-point hidings from the NZ teams.....I hope he's not serious.

Who will he drop? Moore, Higgers, Simmons, Smith, Tui in the forwards? Frisby (sure), Hunt, Nabuli, Kuridrani (sure) in the backs? My god, when the reserves have come on it's been shocking, we'll be slaughtered.

Sigh.

Meanwhile, Kerevi as captain was just a bizarre choice. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.