• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Reviews, system optimisation and recommendations by one person on another's program within the same organisation certainly sounds like someone who is senior.

Are there examples within Australian Rugby/NRL where a similar coaching coaching construct has worked?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Reviews, system optimisation and recommendations by one person on another's program within the same organisation certainly sounds like someone who is senior.

Are there examples of within Australian Rugby/NRL where a similar coaching coaching construct has worked?

I really doubt that this 'director of coaching' that amirite says will be the TT role at the QRU is, or will be, in fact the case.

Why? In 2015 (IIRC) Daniel Herbert was promoted to a new role within the QRU as (something like) Head of Rugby Department. This role was recommended by that year's 'major review of QRU rugby operations and coaching' (that btw involved an ARU board member, the ties run deep, and then endorsed RG for his continued HC role) and was, inter alia, to do the types of things amirite notes.

Seeing the serious declines in the ARU's finances in the latter part of 2016, the new QRU CEO Barker made the Herbert role and Herbert redundant at that time (along with at least c. 8-12 other QRU redundancies I believe).

Late 2017's Reds' gate income has collapsed and I cannot see the QRU endorsing new pure 'senior rugby department administrative' type positions given the recent Herbert demise and serious concerns re QRU finances into 2018.

If the TT rumours are correct, my assessment is that the QRU is seriously panicking over the Reds' 2017 season on-field and business outcomes, realises they have, at best, an unproven and underperforming Reds' coaching group and instead of making the required gutsy major changes they have yet again gone to type:

(a) don't admit yet another serious error in coaching appointments (RedsHappy Golden Rule No 4: no one is ever accountable for anything in Australian rugby) and don't face the hard calls re the Reds' coaching needs, and​
(b) with no serious evidence in actual achievement in support, gone again for the 'fine QLD rugby man mate returning to the fold' as the basis for hoped-for salvation to 'mentor and support' the QRU's 'learning and developing' N Stiles.​

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hey, I didn't say Director of Coaching first, I was repeating others. I was more making the point that people who consult on process aren't necessarily the most senior person in an organisation.

T

TOCC

He isn't the only person in the backline whose tackling technique is lacking, Paia'aua, Perese and Cooper have poor tackling technique as well..

Reds need to build a sand pit and have these guys work on tackling in the offseason.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hopefully the Reds put a clause in his contract that for every Yellow or Red Card he gets, he's required to repay X amount of dollars.

yeah, sure, there's been some dumb things but he's scoring tries.

8 in 14 games.

Latho scored 10 in 11 back in 2002.

Shipperley (8 in 17 back in 2012) and Ben Tune (8 in 12 in 1996) are the only other Reds to get that many in a season in Super Rugby.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't think that's true mate. The Rebels have had at least Uelese, Tupai, Lomax, Goddard, Tuipolotu, and Maddocks.

I'm not sure if Tupou, Leota, or Tuimalealiifano got a go. Hopefully Tupou will this weekend.[/quote

Not all of them in the same matchday 23 which I think is what he said but definitely more then the 3 of the stormers. Reds had 10 that were 21 and under last week...10 20 and under is just wow

This weekend at 20 or younger the Rebels will have Uelese Haagana Tuipolotu Maddocks and maybe Tupou. So that's 4, maybe 5.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Trouble with TT is that a lot of players think he belts them way too hard and for too long in the weeks training schedule and gives little or no time to recover from training before the game.

I'm not talking about training soft but TT seems to be focused at the other end of the scale. Similar comments probably apply to Chek

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Totaliser, Stiles, Arnold, Gilmore. Does anyone feel inspired?

I had also thought that people had been excited with the return of Damian Marsh, though the Cheika critics seems to be giving a hand to every single HC in Australian Super Rugby right now. And he left early by the sounds of things. Who is directing/developing the off-season fitness schedule?

Our young guns gave some hope last week, after that I've got nothing.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
You're suggesting this is the sum total of options?
They would have already given it to some guy skulking round the Ballymore carpark.

It would be like a scene from The Walking Dead out there with zombies just milling about waiting for coaching jobs.

Anyway, everyone knows most jobs on Seek are fake.

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

Reactions: dru

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
They would have already given it to some guy skulking round the Ballymore carpark.

It would be like a scene from The Walking Dead out there with zombies just milling about waiting for coaching jobs.

Anyway, everyone knows most jobs on Seek are fake.

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

Hmmmmmmmmm....................................................................maybe we should get Matt Taylor, Jim McKay and co. and tell them to loiter in the Ballymore car park?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Reds' fans wil be bursting with a new enthusiasm for next season to know that Totality Tony is definitely heading to the Reds for 2018 to 'assist as an ally' our 'high-potential' existing HC Stiles.

This today from that astute and insightful rugby journo, Jim Tucker in all news.com.au online editions (my emphasis):

OUTGOING Melbourne Rebels boss Tony McGahan is set to join the Reds next season as an ally for Nick Stiles in a huge boost to Queensland’s coaching clout.
McGahan’s expected involvement will add to the experience around the Reds and the feeder pathways to help transform this year’s disappointing four-win season into something far better.
McGahan and the Rebels agreed to go their separate ways a month ago and it was a logical ending after this injury-plagued season lurched into a tortured one-win campaign as the Super Rugby saga drained everyone in the background.
McGahan’s final duties were on Friday night when the Rebels bowed 32-29 to the Jaguares in Melbourne in the hours after the Reds’ own 40-17 demise to the far slicker Highlanders in Dunedin.
The far better reflection of McGahan’s acumen were the 2015 and 2016 seasons when the unrated Rebels grabbed seven victories in both seasons.
McGahan is a devout Queenslander from his Warwick roots to his 1999 club premiership as a centre with Easts to the first coaching gigs that were his springboard into senior coaching in Ireland more than a decade ago.
Stiles will undergo a full review of the Super Rugby season over the coming weeks and a defence that leaked 61 tries in 15 games will be in sharp focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.