• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It was the schedule from hell. And he still pulled out three wins.

Plenty of home games to see the season out.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Positivity thread time?

I reckon CFS is playing the best rugby of his career. Tupou and Korczyk continue to improve. Liam Wright and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) are coming along quite nicely.

It's a tough competition. I think the Reds are ahead of where they were expected to be before the season started. The season will be judged on how they bounce back from a bit of a drop in form.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It was the schedule from hell. And he still pulled out three wins.

Plenty of home games to see the season out.

I think Thorn has instilled some level of pride in the jersey.
There certainly is more commitment from the boys.
He seems to have improved the "culture" around the joint and for whatever reasons dumped Quade,
dumped Frisby and finally it appears he has dumped Hunt.
He has established a "culture" quite quickly and one that will obviously become a standard as we move forward.

The schedule made it extremely difficult.

Based on tertiary markings I would rate Thorn's coaching and what he's done at the Reds (at this stage of the year) as a
DISTINCTION. The team on the other hand I would rate as a solid PASS

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I reckon CFS is playing the best rugby of his career. Tupou and Korczyk continue to improve. Liam Wright and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) are coming along quite nicely.

It's a tough competition. I think the Reds are ahead of where they were expected to be before the season started. The season will be judged on how they bounce back from a bit of a drop in form.

TBH there is plenty to go, just plenty - but yes I completely agree that the team is ahead of where I expected.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Anybody have an idea of the what the team changes will be for this week?

No idea but the breakdown and counter rucking is ultra important with Kiwi teams. Hopefully we'll pick guys who really turn up to that fight. Side normally announced Thursday.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Anybody have an idea of the what the team changes will be for this week?

Front Row should be Slipper / BPA / Fa'agasi, Smith was fine but is more of a finisher, plus Fa'agasi is just so versitile. Edit Tupou is back so duh! Slipper / BPA / Tupou to start and Smith is fin coming off the bench.

Rodda is the first player picked IMO he's doing Ned Hanigan work but being very effective at it, Douglas and Tui is a close thing, neither of them were particularly impressive against the Waratahs. I'd go with Tui because I'd like to develop our youth but Douglas has been a steady hand until this point in the season.

Back row with some configuration (including 1 bench player) of Smith, Korczyk, Timu and Wright (maybe ASY (Angus Scott-Young) will sneak in but I think we'll go with the genuine jackling of Wright over the versatility of ASY (Angus Scott-Young)). Korczyk / Timu / Wright, if Thorn continues the policy of coming back via the bench but Perese didn't abide that.

I'd like to see Tuttle and Cooper (failing that Paia'aua) in the halves, but Thorn has nailed his colours to the mast on that one -- Lance make 'em dance, so we'll have to see Tuttle & Lance. (I'd like to see Stewart given a good burn once the game is beyond doubt, maybe bring him on from fullback.)

If we go with someone other than Lance we could see Paia'aua and Kerevi/CFS (or Stewart and whoever) but obviously with Lance we are forced into SK-CFS in the centers.

Outside backs is where we could genuinely see some change, Toua has been a bit soft and underpar the last few games, and we saw him moved to the wing to make way for Stewart, I wouldn't mind seeing Stewart given the go ahead this week allowing us to have him play the Beale type role (real first receiver) while Lance plays more at fullback in attack. Maybe you move Toua to the wing but given the lackadaisical last few games from Toua maybe you make him fight for his spot off the bench, and he'd offer a lot of flexibility off the bench being capable of covering 11, 13, 14 and 15. Wings are more than likely Daugunu and Perese but we could see a surprise if Perese isn't yet at 100% (he was pulled early IIRC) and see Toua shifted to the wing and obvious Stewart/Lance at 15. I'd like it to be Daugunu / Stewart / Perese, (or Daugunu / Stewart / Toua) but Daugunu / Toua / Perese is what Thorn will pick (as he is valuing experience over future potential).

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
Would like to see CFS with more ball in hand, he is just as destructive as Kerevi in attack, and the play of shoveling it to Kerevi every time it goes out to the backline is way too predictable and easy to plan against defensively. DP may well be the guy to unlock all that.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I would like to see a backline of Tuttle, Stewart, Perese, DP, Kerevi, CFS, Daugunu but I feel that is too many changes in one go.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I would like to see a backline of Tuttle, Stewart, Perese, DP, Kerevi, CFS, Daugunu but I feel that is too many changes in one go.

Maybe it's just bringing back the former glory of the Queensland Country backline! :p

It still baffles me as to how we got to the point where both NRC captains are now playing left right out for the Reds... and Quade and Karmichael (probably our two highest paid players).

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

Interesting that you have Daugunu listed at 15 because rumour has it he was trialling with the reds at that position between the moment after Karmichael was snapped for drugs and before we had signed Aidan Toua. Heard they were impressed enough with his boot and Daugunu catching a high ball at fullback certainly would of been an XFactor attacker as well.

I'd love to of seen this happen but looks like the young kid has locked himself a wing spot with it being his job too lose.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
No idea but the breakdown and counter rucking is ultra important with Kiwi teams. Hopefully we'll pick guys who really turn up to that fight. Side normally announced Thursday.

The chat down at Brothers is that George Smith must be playing for the Reds this weekend. Played 40mins on the weekend, didn't train the other night and they have been training as if he isn't going to be playing with them.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The chat down at Brothers is that George Smith must be playing for the Reds this weekend. Played 40mins on the weekend, didn't train the other night and they have been training as if he isn't going to be playing with them.

This is what I love about this forum. You get the inside gen even if its not always right.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
According to Rugbystats app, Kerevi is equal second for missed tackles in the comp this year, and has actually missed more tackles than at the same time as last year.

Think the kiwi teams will be looking to target him

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
According to Rugbystats app, Kerevi is equal second for missed tackles in the comp this year, and has actually missed more tackles than at the same time as last year.

Think the kiwi teams will be looking to target him

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

But on the flipside of the coin. Kerevi will be targeting the Kiwis.

Not a fan of his defense, it's well documented... but my lawd, can the dude truck the tackler!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.