• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Tupou is signed for a few years.
Timu is off contract, looking at all offers.
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is at risk of returning to NSW for family reasons, Reds have treated and managed him very well since the Robina incident last year.

Rumours are rumours, they happen every year often driven by managers leaked to reporters to drive up the value of their players contract.

Last year there were a lot of rumours about players wanting to get out and then nothing seemed to come of it - players re-signed and it was held up as evidence that Brad Thorn was doing things right. So has something changed and there is some substance to these stories or are they just managers trying to up contract renewal offers?

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
With the current Ru Australia rules re wallaby eligibility I think the vast majority of aus based rugby players would be keen for a UK or Japan based contract for the "window" of the two or three years before the next world cup. Without the rule these guys would be less attractive to the UK clubs during this time because they would be eligible to return for test duties in the test window which is when the clubs need them to cover local test player availability. IE Skelton gets most game time for Saracens when imoje on test duty.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
That's a depressing rumor, and not surprised at all if it's true. Why are we letting the Reds die for Brad Thorn? There were a number of people, myself included, who were so disappointed with his actions and those of the QRU that we went along on Saturday as Rebels supporters. That felt pretty weird, as someone who has barely missed a game the Reds have played in over a decade.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
That's a depressing rumor, and not surprised at all if it's true. Why are we letting the Reds die for Brad Thorn? There were a number of people, myself included, who were so disappointed with his actions and those of the QRU that we went along on Saturday as Rebels supporters. That felt pretty weird, as someone who has barely missed a game the Reds have played in over a decade.

Wow that’s lame dude.

Players and coaches come and go.being a fan if your team is for life.

But saying you went to support an opponent a conference rival over a disagreement about how the coach strategy of building a team.

Why not just boycott the reds with your wallet rather then support a rival?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Is that because you don't support the storm?

Rebels is dark blue.

If you want purple, there's an abundance of it for sale at the two Rebel stores I visited on the weekend. Notwithstanding all the Broncos gear; seemed like half the store as full of Broncos gear!

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

Ok it’s past noon. Pls tell me this was a April fools post. Cause I’m sitting here at lunch after being on high alert and realised I just got fooled by random internet poster

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Could never in my wildest imagination barrack for any team vs Qld in any sport/activity/past time.

Yeah I'll rag on them and call them shithouse, call for the board to be sacked, boycott watching them etc. but hope they lose? Never.

I'm not sure what the issues are. It's not just coaches, hell even Eddie struggled and he was by far the best candidate at the time. They tried to bring back Knuckles as a consultant, that was by all accounts a disaster but I don't know what the story was there.

Link has been the only success in a long time. Geez what a great loss to rugby he was.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Lots of doom and gloom, of which I am happy to share but still.....

8 wins probably makes the finals. So that means 6 more to go. And it's a pretty good draw
No much chance from the away games (Bulls, Sharks, Rebels, Chiefs, Brumbies). The aim would be to pinch on of the last two on current form

But I think the aim would still be to win all remaining games at home (Stormers, Sunwolves, Tahs, Jags, Blues). Doable, if this team is actually any good

That would mean 8 from 16 and a trip to the finals. At least with my maroon coloured glasses on.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
That's a very appealing home draw. Honestly as a fan I'd be thrilled if we won 4/5 of those home games, got some revenge on the Rebels and buried the Brumbies one more time. I've muted my expectations slightly since the season started but that would give us at a minimum an 8 win season, two better than last year and hopefully some confidence for 2020. Although if we lose a bulk of players post-World Cup it's probably starting from scratch again...

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
If hypotethcially we lose some players after this season, what's the odds we could sniff around the Sunwolves carcass and pick up some replacements there?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
If hypotethcially we lose some players after this season, what's the odds we could sniff around the Sunwolves carcass and pick up some replacements there?
These guys are already established in Japan. Can we outbid the Top League clubs especially with no RA top-up?. Probably not

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This is really a Reds 2020 thread but it's too early to start that isn't it?

So the Smiths and Tupou are rumored for a release. They also all recently re-signed for 2020.

Stuff them. They stay.

Salakai-Loto has also re-signed relatively recently. He's one I consider giving a compassionate release to because he's from NSW and has had some tough personal events of late. But it would only be a release to go to the Tahs.

Big bollocking backrowers will be in big demand. Timu (apparently) and you'd think Higgers will both be gone. We do have some excellent young talent coming through with the likes of Harry Wilson, Tom Kibble and Matt Gicquel. Plus Fraser McReight. I don't doubt the talent of any of them. In fact think all of them are excellent, but different players to the above. But a move of ASY (Angus Scott-Young) to 8 with any of those combining (with or without Liam Wright) at 6 or 7 is ok.

Kerevi and Paia'aua going are concerns obviously with Sefa not helping things. I can't imagine Aidan Toua will be around next year either and who knows about Matt McGahan (both contracted to 2019).

We're chasing Billy Meakes but I can't imagine his new best mate QC (Quade Cooper) giving Brad a ringing endorsement.

Looking interstate though and Cam Magnay and Sione Tuipuluto are both off contract this year. Maybe Len Ikitau or Andy Muirhead would want to come home too?

Jack McGregor is a very good signing but not sure we can fit anymore flyhalves in the team.

And who knows? Maybe Izzy Perese may get sick of a year playing at Recliffe.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Brad Thorn may be a polarising factor with the current playing group, but as a prospective new signing I think there is massive amounts of appeal in terms of how you could develop physically as a player.

He is arguably the most decorated footy player (both codes) to play the game, clearly knows how to run a gym program and is building a team of strong coaches around him. If you considered yourself a fringe Wallaby and needed just a few steps forward to reach your potential, I think playing under Thorn, Ryan, Alred etc. is a decent place to start to up-skill.

Thats a long winded way of saying if Meakes (or any player for that matter) was serious about playing for the Wallabies one day I think you'd ignore the biased Thorn mail and give it a go.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Meh, Thorn won all his accolades by being a giant hard ass enforcer.

Hardly the requisite skillset for coaching or player development.

Meakes best chance of making the Wallabies is to win Super Rugby this year with the Rebels.