• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Well will Kerevi and Paia'aua all but gone, the RA will need to demonstrate how serious they are about moving 'wallabies' around. With To'omua coming into the Rebels, they should be directing Meakes to come the the QRU. Otherwise, I'd imagine it'll be JP + CFS in the centres.

We should be able to cover both Higgers and Timu's losses considering the latter hasn't featured this season. Although, that forward pack could definitely do with a stalwart guiding them around next season

B

Bobby Sands

Centres though? Yikes. Petaia at 13 of course. Perhaps Stewart (as some have suggested) goes to 12? That's a pretty damn good defensive pairing. Obviously players from our states may be available (we've talked Lolesio and Ikitau or Magnay and Tuipuluto before).

I keep banging on about this, so I appreciate your recall and general "across-ness" (sic) of all things Reds.

Noah should be a no-brainer target in my opinion. Re-unite that all QLD Oz schools midfield (Noah-Jordy) in a side when he could actually crack the XV.

Ikitau is just a talent that I would like to see returned to sender ;).

In the NRC game at Bottomley park, in atrocious conditions, he tore BrisCity apart.

Not bad for a kid.

Cottrell/To'omua/Isa/Wilkin/Butler/Quirk would all be pretty nice farm buy-backs as well.

But in any event, if the program is as good as I think it it might be becoming the players will want to be apart of it.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^ Agree, we already have the "workers" in house , but a hard hitting/running 8 like Isi would complement the current crop nicely.

Meakes also in the centres, especially with Sefa looking likely to head off as well.

Would love to see Lolesio back here, his pairing with JP has the potential to be very good indeed.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Higs got 3 years in bordeoux i saw - That's huge for someone of 32, with a young baby, and lost one of his japanese seasons coz of neck injury. Good luck to the big weapon - one of my all time favourite @ no.6, a running, jumping, offloading, linking 6ft4 110kg weapon.

However - need another impact runner for the BR. With no Timu or Higs, either Tui becomes permanent 6 OR we go for Australian born Sunwolves backrow weapons Gunter (21yrs, 6ft4, 115kg) or Vosayaco (23, 6ft2, 103kg).

Wilson, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Wood, - all pretty similar in the no.6 position.

Reds have been awesome at producing good but not great undersized 6 and 8s.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well will Kerevi and Paia'aua all but gone, the RA will need to demonstrate how serious they are about moving 'wallabies' around. With To'omua coming into the Rebels, they should be directing Meakes to come the the QRU. Otherwise, I'd imagine it'll be JP + CFS in the centres.

We should be able to cover both Higgers and Timu's losses considering the latter hasn't featured this season. Although, that forward pack could definitely do with a stalwart guiding them around next season

You’d have to test Thorns interest and whether WBs are headed in the “right” direction. He let Cooper, Slipper and Hunt go, unlikely too many WBs are going Red without prior Qld history and testing the understanding with Thorn. Thorns treatment of the stars will undoubtedly have broader implications.

Under the circumstances I have been hauling my arse back to remain a Red supporter, but can’t deny a growing fondness for the Rebels. With a Rebel hat on let me kindly suggest that you can fuck right off about Meakes. To'omua May unexpectedly be superfluous to requirements however.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I was a big QC (Quade Cooper) fan but i think many are too keen to ride the fairy tale story that he is performing exceptionally and BT has egg on his face.

QC (Quade Cooper) is second in turnovers (equal on 10, behind 3 on 11). Leading the Handling Errors at 13 and had 2 line breaks. The fact he is playing with the Wobs best 9, an experienced 12 and a firing pack all make life as a 10 much easier.

Interesting whilst looking at Stats (foxsports) - Tongan thor is leading the charge in a lot of the wrong metrics too.

I don't want to restart the Thorn shafting the holy trinity discussion - but do think people need to look at QC (Quade Cooper) performances for what they are.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
QC (Quade Cooper) story is hardly fairytale with the advent of Thorn. And I consider Quade on his strengths. And weaknesses. Ditto Thorn.

Doesn’t matter though, what was suggested is that the Reds recruitment might need help with attracting WBs. All I’m saying is that is harder now than say 2 years ago.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I was a big QC (Quade Cooper) fan but i think many are too keen to ride the fairy tale story that he is performing exceptionally and BT has egg on his face.

QC (Quade Cooper) is second in turnovers (equal on 10, behind 3 on 11). Leading the Handling Errors at 13 and had 2 line breaks. The fact he is playing with the Wobs best 9, an experienced 12 and a firing pack all make life as a 10 much easier.

Interesting whilst looking at Stats (foxsports) - Tongan thor is leading the charge in a lot of the wrong metrics too.

I don't want to restart the Thorn shafting the holy trinity discussion - but do think people need to look at QC (Quade Cooper) performances for what they are.
Quade always been high risk high reward....the reality is we would rather the next up and coming 10 coming through then still having Foley vs Quade debates.....but sadly we still are waiting to see another potential world class 10 under 30 coming through.

I also do believe that Quade would not have shown same improvement he has this season without moving on from the Reds.....I think he needed a rocket under his arse to perform better as anybody thinking Quade in 2017 was impressive suffer from the Quade over hype syndrome....which to be frank for first time in long time finally deserves serious consideration over Foley to warrant it. But equally again disappointing no other serious contenders stepped up and still having same Foley vs Quade debates we have had for the last 6 years.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The stream of talent leaving Australian shores is phenomenal, not just at the Wallaby level but the levels below that as well.

B

Bobby Sands

Chatting to a BSHS oldboy last night, and Kerevi & Muirhead both played 2nd XV - such was the strength of the 1s that year. Arguably the best schoolboy side in history.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think Kerevi was a lock? I saw him tweet or instagram something about someone giving him a kick up the bum at school and to move out of the pack?

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think its good. Apart from Rebels game. The team is competing where it should especially c.f. the other Aussie teams. Not exceeding expectations but he has a lot less Wobs at his disposal than the other 3.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Weird, are they missing a digit? I thought the QRU wanted a 10 year contract for him ;)

In any event, they're also reporting the following:
Former All Blacks forward and rugby league star Thorn is also confirmed to have the same Reds assistant coaching staff next year, including attack coach Jim McKay and defence coach Peter Ryan.

That's a bigger win in my books!

B

Bobby Sands

I think Kerevi was a lock? I saw him tweet or instagram something about someone giving him a kick up the bum at school and to move out of the pack?

Not sure, but the 1s & 2s took the throne pretty easily from this blokes account.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If things were as toxic as some have reported on this forum, sought after assistant coaches wouldn't re-sign this early for a post world cup year. Acknowledging it is not official yet, but if accomplished adults sign on its a good sign the direction of the reds is positive