• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Doubt if the Tahs want to have a dog in the Tui imbroglio, they have more than enough back-rowers ATM. Second-rowers, different scenario.

I'd snap him up ASAP, and worry about the details later. He's just the thing they need.

Reds people, what the hell is actually happening up there? People are talking about culture issues, but what does that actually mean?

Tired of losing? Bad morale? Poor leadership? Anger about the treatment of QC (Quade Cooper)/KH/JS?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Doubt if the Tahs want to have a dog in the Tui imbroglio, they have more than enough back-rowers ATM. Second-rowers, different scenario.

The Tahs backrow has good mobile players but it's one-note and lacks power. Lukhan Tui brings something different.

On the other hand, Tui can also play second row. That might be his "repoaching" scenario.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Reds people, what the hell is actually happening up there? People are talking about culture issues, but what does that actually mean?

At this stage, I'd probably suggest its Tui's agent shopping him around to get more cash out of the Reds if he's off contract.

If you follow Football (soccer kind), you'll know its transfer/silly season right now. So you don't get too phased about the murmurings until something is made official on a clubs website.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I'd snap him up ASAP, and worry about the details later. He's just the thing they need.

Tired of losing? Bad morale? Poor leadership? Anger about the treatment of QC (Quade Cooper)/KH/JS?

1. Years of incompetent, insular and self-deluding board leadership at QRU top level

2. This manifesting itself in many destructive ways, but principally in years of extremely poor HC and AC appointment-making whilst simultaneously preserving executive survivors in key positions that hold no respect and whom have delivered poor results (eg Cordingley in recruitment)

3. A key consequence is no proper CEO and board-level rugby capacity in oversighting the Reds coaching and player development systems

4. Despite the obviousness of the above since c. 2012 and the fact that it is the QRU's primary funder, the ARU/RU has sat idly by and watched this systemic debacle unfold as though impotent and incapable of intervening

Bad has led to worse; worse has year-by-year deteriorated to potentially catastrophic (see Reds' crowd numbers at never-before lows).

Thorn's reported 'cultural change' is mythical - with players like Kerevi and Perese wanting to leave, plus much else, the evidence is clear.

Other than that, things are pretty good really.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Tui isn't off contract though.

Ta, had to re-check Reg's post on the first page to see he's signed to 2020. It could still be an agent wanting to get more dollars for his now hot Wallaby commodity.

If Tui does push for a move it'll speak pretty loudly and I'd hope to see executive heads roll.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Ta, had to re-check Reg's post on the first page to see he's signed to 2020. It could still be an agent wanting to get more dollars for his now hot Wallaby commodity.

If Tui does push for a move it'll speak pretty loudly and I'd hope to see executive heads roll.

He has a contract. He needs to honour it.

B

Bobby Sands

So Tui wants to leave the reds because he is homesick.

Amazing how all the Brad Thorn haters are spinning it being a issue to do with culture.

Don’t see the reds letting him go unless the Waratahs pay some kind of transfer fee. I expect Tui to be a Red in 2019

Your profile pic is a dead-ringer for Jason Gilmore?

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
It's a weird old joint the Qld reds right now.....

3 Wallaby blokes under contract that want to play there but the Reds won't pick.......

3 more who don't want to play for them anymore and they won't let them go.......

Someone (CEO/Chair/ Anyone!) there needs to sort this shit out. It's way beyond a joke now.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not sure Cooper is the best choice as starting 10 for Brisbane City. I reckon there's a pretty strong argument Dalgleish should start.

What they do with him next season is a real problem. It's a lot of dollars and it really doesn't seem he will leave on his own accord.

I tend to think Slipper will find another option if he's not going to be selected by the Reds. Hunt I have no idea about. I think he'll need to go overseas.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Sonny Bill thinks Quade can make it in rugby league!

Clicky

I don't share that confidence, but it would be a win all round.

More likely Cooper will keep playing park rugby until his contract runs out.

After that, unless he takes a much, much reduced paycheck, then I'd say he's done at Super level and either looks to somewhere like Japan or retires.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm not sure Cooper is the best choice as starting 10 for Brisbane City. I reckon there's a pretty strong argument Dalgleish should start.

What they do with him next season is a real problem. It's a lot of dollars and it really doesn't seem he will leave on his own accord.

I tend to think Slipper will find another option if he's not going to be selected by the Reds. Hunt I have no idea about. I think he'll need to go overseas.

Don't necessarily disagree. Don't necessarily agree either. He's been atrophying a bit. I think comments of him being out of form (implying of no use again to the professional game) are wide of the mark. Last game his defence was very solid - yes I'm talking about Quade. He's clearly been working on it. His boot was a little out, but some of this is Souths not necessarily reacting quickly enough. Kicking at goal is not a selling point.

His passing is still good. He still doesn't run it up much.

He is not Super quality right now, but he's fit and it might not take long for him to take the City 10 slot. I wouldn't call it until the squad gets a bit through training.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
1:38.36 in this clip.

Note it is the elimination final that Souths ended up losing and are now gone.

Has there been a more Quade moment? Superb vision and skill. Ridiculous decision given the game moment and time etc.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
If Brad Thorn somehow welcomes Quade back into the reds squad for 2019 I bet there’s going to be a little chat about the above play. Can’t be having Adlibbying like that in such a important moment of a playoff match.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Unusual? Yes
Poorly executed? Yes but close.
Adlibbed? Not a chance, that was known before he took the call.

Appropriate for Super? Probably not. Here? Don't know, ask the Souths coach.

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
The Reds will lose either Lukhan Tui or Izack Rodda sooner rather later to the Waratahs. Rodda is off-contract and is yet to re-sign at the Reds for the 2019 season and Tui is exploring options for an early release post 2019 season. Korzyck is another set to leave Ballymore as well as Kerevi and Parese who are likely going to join those departing this season.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Just proves why he isn't a Captain. Crazy stuff to do that 5 metres out, follow-up with a nothing kick in general play and not 5 minutes later to take a 40M penalty shot.

Absolutely the Carlos Spencer of Australian Rugby. Certainly exciting to watch but never in a pink fit would I have him as captain.