• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
The Reds will lose either Lukhan Tui or Izack Rodda sooner rather later to the Waratahs. Rodda is off-contract and is yet to re-sign at the Reds for the 2019 season and Tui is exploring options for an early release post 2019 season. Korzyck is another set to leave Ballymore as well as Kerevi and Parese who are likely going to join those departing this season.

Korzyck and Rodda as well? Is that information accurate? Wow, if it is, along with Tui and Kerevi rumours then it really is a departure lounge.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Absolute clusterfuck at Ballymore .
Has the place ever been as bad even when RG was in charge.
The current blokes of BT Lillycrap Cordingly and of course Miller need to take responsibility.
Players not wanted players wanting or are leaving players not happy and players not wanting to come.
Maybe it's time to do a Penrirh

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I think the cultural change is present and the players leaving dont want to work hard enough for their spot or dont care.

The change is there but is not being bought by the players.

Bingo.

Some of these young men have been taken out of their comfort zones due to Brad Thorn gruelling training sessions & selection policies where no jersey is safe.

I think there’s been a culture shock betweenness Brad Thorn All blacks way compared to the moddly koddling wrap in cotton wool qld way

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Yet they work their arse off for Wallabies? Dont buy this.

The wallabies suck dude. We’ve dropped test series to england & Ireland on Aussie soil. Eddie Jones or Robbie Deans never got us this rock bottom.

I’m a Australian fan thru & thru but even I know they are underperformers

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The wallabies suck dude. We’ve dropped test series to england & Ireland on Aussie soil. Eddie Jones or Robbie Deans never got us this rock bottom.

Actually, he kinda did. We avoided losing to Ireland by about a foot with an Irish drop kick barely missing the posts (some Irish fans think it went over), and then lost to England, both in the RWC 2003. On Aussie soil. ;)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Just proves why he isn't a Captain. Crazy stuff to do that 5 metres out, follow-up with a nothing kick in general play and not 5 minutes later to take a 40M penalty shot.

Absolutely the Carlos Spencer of Australian Rugby. Certainly exciting to watch but never in a pink fit would I have him as captain.

It depends on what was happening behind the scenes in training and general discussion. But in absence of these details I agree with you.

Those things count little to his form or direct ability.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Had more to do with versing both England and Ireland at their absolute peak. England were nearly 20 on the trot when we had to deal with them. Ireland had just won the grand slam and are probably the best Irish team ever.

The Wallabies are significantly more competitive among their peers than the Reds.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Any wallabies vs reds hottake comparison is stupid anyways.

Comparing the free market/come as you are bidding war of super rugby where players are allowed to switch as they wish (once they become free agents) compared to the national jersey where defections are not allowed. It’s a Apple/oranges comprison.

The culture at the reds is fine.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I think the cultural change is present and the players leaving dont want to work hard enough for their spot or dont care.

The change is there but is not being bought by the players.

Where _precisely_ is the hard evidence for this? Not what you hope, what is verifiable fact.

I know we’ve had the media sprouting ‘culture change’ early in this year’s season, ‘heavy BT special gym sessions’ and so on, but the only meaningful evidence has to be in consistently improved team results and a manifestly better squad ready for 2019 than ended 2018.

Reactions: dru

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Absolute clusterfuck at Ballymore .
Has the place ever been as bad even when RG was in charge.
The current blokes of BT Lillycrap Cordingly and of course Miller need to take responsibility.
Players not wanted players wanting or are leaving players not happy and players not wanting to come.
Maybe it's time to do a Penrirh

For many years now, in terms of 'taking real responsibility' for the multiple debacles, disasters and deadbeats at and around the QRU/Reds, we know only too well the culture and MO has been one of a 'responsibility-free zone'.

I cannot think of an instance in the last 5 years or so when a top QRU exec or board member has stood up/out and said 'these outcomes are totally and utterly unacceptable, we the board/execs/whomever (delete as applicable) are responsible and now we are going to fix it and we must'.

A responsibility-free zone is a marker of poor and weak leadership that blame-shifts, evades and pours out an endless stream of excuses as its central way of operating.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Couple of interesting takes from that.

The QRU and Rugby AU are seeking

Performance will be measured by delivering:
  • Leadership and integrity
  • Outstanding coaching performance, including technical and tactical expertise and results
  • Learning and development – progression of players, team, staff and self
  • Contribution to the broader Reds high performance system
  • Talent identification and development
  • Contribution to National Programs
  • Collaboration and Relationships – internal (QRU/Reds) and external (Rugby AU, Clubs, community, commercial and media partners)
  • Creativity and innovation

It'd be interesting to know what the end of year review states about the current coaching team meeting these measures.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

This will be a great marker as to whether the QRU and BT are dead serious regarding the urgent need to fix the Reds and properly so.

If a genuine world-class Attack AC is found and appointed, a small scintilla of belief may return to this Reds' fan.

If we see another 'good QLD rugby man, long associated with the game here' propped up with board and QRU diaspora mates, we will know the long road to the very bad ending is thereby re-affirmed.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
SouthernXPhil Hardcastle (33)

Comparing the free market/come as you are bidding war of super rugby where players are allowed to switch as they wish (once they become free agents) compared to the national jersey where defections are not allowed. It’s a Apple/oranges comprison.

^^^^^
With respect I think your last sentence is wrong wrong and erong

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

This is fine.JPG

dru

Tim Horan (67)
"Culture" is not simply HC to playing squad.

It is also HQ and operations. The scenario with $ being left on the side line is a definite conflict between HQ/Operations and Coach. Perhaps that is at this point historical? Hard to know but it is only part of the current trend.

Wherever issues lie:-

x the reported numbers wishing to leave
x player investment simply left out
x the quantity of gaps in the squad
x absence of CEO
x reports of outside players showing initial interest and then reverting to no interest

whether or not the players desiring to leave stack up to Thorn's benchmarks, this all suggests a systemic problem.

There is no way I can arrive at a conclusion of "the reds culture is just fine". Like an alcoholic, the sooner there is admission of the problem the sooner we have a chance to hit bottom. And hopefully bounce.