• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I implied he could be, not that he has been.

I hope he hasn’t or isn’t going to be as he’s an immense talent, but it isn’t beyond thorn to stick him on the sidelines if he’s not part of the bigger plan.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I implied he could be, not that he has been.

I hope he hasn’t or isn’t going to be as he’s an immense talent, but it isn’t beyond thorn to stick him on the sidelines if he’s not part of the bigger plan.

Why do you think Thorn, a player who moved not just teams, but codes and representative countries throughout his career, would hold it against him and freeze him out?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I disagree with bringing Barnes in. It's unfair for Stewart. He's either good enough to be first string or he isn't. But if you keep bringing players to mentor him he never has to step up.

I’ve been completely unsure of Stewart but the NRC has gradually brought me round. I’ve been concerned that Reds didn’t have the right personnel to be building him but this may have changed with McKay. I just hope they let him develop, and use, a rugby brain rather than working to formula.

In short, I completely agree with Sully here. A backup for Stewart, not Stewart as back up in 2019.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
I’ve been completely unsure of Stewart but the NRC has gradually brought me round. I’ve been concerned that Reds didn’t have the right personnel to be building him but this may have changed with McKay. I just hope they let him develop, and use, a rugby brain rather than working to formula.

In short, I completely agree with Sully here. A backup for Stewart, not Stewart as back up in 2019.

Completely agree. Stewart is growing nicely. Good kick, defence (he doesn't have to be hidden on the wing) and pass. Game time will help develop his game management. Let him make mistakes to become a better player.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
"Scrumhalf James Tuttle has suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon"

Any informed opinion on how long this will rule him out for?

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)

i believe about 6 months, however Tuttle is young and resilient and I suspect will approach rehab with a very dedicated approach so could shorten this time by up to 6 weeks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Anywhere up to a year. The earliest returns are around the six month mark.

One third of professional athletes never return according to a study of US athletes (NBA and NFL mostly).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anywhere up to a year. The earliest returns are around the six month mark.

One third of professional athletes never return according to a stupid of US athletes (NBA and NFL mostly).

is that what they are officially known as? Seems appropriate.

Well that's devastating for Tuttle as I am a fan and thought he'd be our 9 (and we could utilise his goal kicking). Thankfully we have excellent depth there. McDermott to me the man for me with Sorovi as back up. Third place up fro grabs between Harry Nucifora and perhaps Phoenix Hunt, assuming Scott Gale will be hanging out with the stupids in the US

Reactions: TSR

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Well that's devastating for Tuttle as I am a fan and thought he'd be our 9 (and we could utilise his goal kicking). Thankfully we have excellent depth there. McDermott to me the man for me with Sorovi as back up. Third place up fro grabs between Harry Nucifora and perhaps Phoenix Hunt, assuming Scott Gale will be hanging out with the stupids in the US

Study. Apparently I need more coffee.

Slipper did his in March 2017 and whilst he was in the Wallabies squad for the Barbarians game at the end of October 2017 (7 months after injury), he didn't play.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)

I probably would have had Sorovi overtake Mcdermott last year. It is a position where Qld rugby is pretty well served at the moment. all 4 NRC 19 halves were very good.

An Achilles is a really tough injury however Tuttle does not rely on explosive speed so he might be Ok when he get back. Kobe Bryant was never the same after his and with all due respect to the Doctors over hear I am sure he got the best advice possible.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Anywhere up to a year. The earliest returns are around the six month mar.

Darius Boyd snapped his in Dec 2014 and was back running in March with his first game back in May. Fairly sure Hodges had a similar recovery period. So, that's inline with the 6-9 month period.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Darius Boyd snapped his in Dec 2014 and was back running in March with his first game back in May. Fairly sure Hodges had a similar recovery period. So, that's inline with the 6-9 month period.

Absolutely. If there are no setbacks players can definitely return in 6 months.

Boyd returning in 5 months is a remarkable recovery.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If that happened then it is certainly an issue but were they just dismissed by Thorn or given a chance to change?

I am all for firing people for indiscretions, they are pro footballers and need to earn their contracts but it seems that QC (Quade Cooper) has changed and I always wondered if Thorn was thinking about QC (Quade Cooper) 5 years ago when making decisions.

I have always liked the Melbourne Storm approach, it is a full time job as a footballer so you work full time hours. I believe that they work a 9-5 roster when not on game days to stop the ability to get involved in off field drama.

Whether thorn is right or wrong with his approach, I do actually admire him taken a strong position and sticking by it as at least consistent and maybe a old school hard nose approach is what is required to make reds great again. This is why I have found it hard to critise his position on Quade as he knew it would be controversal but stood by his belief on what was best for the team. Same with his position on drugs and hunt / slipper as hard to actually criticise someone taking a zero tolerance position on this and this is someone who would have loved hunt given another chance let alone slipper.