• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I am assuming that there would have been fees involved with hiring the ground and I would further assume that this may tarnish the reputation of Ballymore for the future.

Didn't the QRU have to threaten legal action against the last football team who used Ballymore as a training ground?

Anyway, Ballymore needs to be knocked down and re-built. Or sold and the QRU purchase new grounds. I've always found it weird that we have Suncorp, ANZ Stadium (or is it QE2), Ballymore, the Broncos Red hill grounds and the old Strikers grounds at Albion.

The Roar and Reds really should have worked their differences out to re-build Ballymore or the Albion grounds into a multi-sport facility.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rebels will be strong but the pack suspect at scrum time and teams that get over the ball. The squad has no player that can count pilfering as a strength

Wont be too much of an issue, I think the Rebels will average 35+ points per game if all players are fit

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
21/11/2018
QRU Media Release: Jordan Petaia signs four-year contract extension with St.George Queensland Reds

The St.George Queensland Reds are pleased to announce star outside back Jordan Petaia will remain at Ballymore through 2022.

In a deal that signals Queensland’s future intent, the 18 year-old has signed a four-year contract extension at the Reds.

The teenager was set to make his Wallabies debut against Italy in Padua last weekend, before a hamstring injury cruelled his bid to become the third-youngest player to ever represent Australia at Test level.

Petaia, who only graduated from Brisbane State High School last year, said he was excited to remain in Queensland and progress his Rugby career under Reds Head Coach Brad Thorn.

“I have learned a lot off Brad, he’s taught me a lot this year and given me the opportunity at quite a young age so I’m very grateful for that,” said Petaia.

“Samu (Kerevi) and the whole senior playing group at the Reds have helped me develop and improve as a player.

“I tried to set goals at the start of the year but obviously it’s been just one step at a time. This year, I was just trying to make the pre-season with the Reds squad and then everything just came after that. So I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing, focusing on every little step and gradually improving and working on my game,” Petaia added.

Reds Head Coach Brad Thorn said: “Considering Jordan turned 18 earlier this year, it’s outstanding what he’s achieved.

“He’s a nice young man. He's humble and hard-working who loves his footy. After making his debut and playing 11 games for Queensland, we've got a taste of his talent.

“It’s exciting to think how far his career can go and we look forward to him being here at Queensland,” Thorn added.

Petaia, a product of the Queensland Pathway, joined the Reds for pre-season training ahead of the 2018 Super Rugby season while still only 17 years-old.

He later went on to become the Reds’ youngest-ever Super Rugby debutant when he took the field as a replacement against the Brumbies in Canberra earlier this year at the age of 18 years and 24 days – and finished the Super Rugby season with 11 caps.

Following his breakout maiden Super Rugby season, Petaia finished as the 2018 National Rugby Championship’s (NRC) top try-scorer after he crossed for his 10th try of the season for Bond University Queensland Country during last month’s Grand Final against the Fijian Drua.

Jordan Petaia
Position: Outside back
Height: 190cm
Weight: 98kg
Born: 14/03/2000
Place of birth: Werribee, VIC
Senior Club: Wests
School: Brisbane State High School
Representative Honours: Combined States Schoolboys (2016), Australian Schoolboys Barbarians (2016), Queensland Schoolboys (2017), Australian Schoolboys (2017), Australian U20s (2018), Queensland Country (201:cool:, Queensland Reds (201:cool:
Super Rugby Debut: 2018 v Brumbies, Canberra
Super Rugby Caps: 11

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Don't have a problem with a four year contract for a player like Petaia. He will still be coming into his prime in four years time.

Absolutely. Unlike some other recent Long term contracts this is the sort of bloke at the right age to fully justify a long term contract.

It’s good all the way.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Maybe, the other big contracts are for proven players though (even if they aren't ones people particularly like). Petaia could easily flop.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Awesome news and I guess you have to have long term contracts to retain players these days but he is still a kid, if he stays at his current ability is he deserving of a spot for the next four years or is the contract based on predicted improvement?

We could have a great team in a few years time, it is starting to look a lot like early Link days where we can look forward to having 26 year olds with 100 super rugby caps and 30 Wallabies caps.

I just hope the coach can get the potential out of the players.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Awesome news and I guess you have to have long term contracts to retain players these days but he is still a kid, if he stays at his current ability is he deserving of a spot for the next four years or is the contract based on predicted improvement?

We could have a great team in a few years time, it is starting to look a lot like early Link days where we can look forward to having 26 year olds with 100 super rugby caps and 30 Wallabies caps.

I just hope the coach can get the potential out of the players.

^^^ This
Every word