• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Question for all super sides not just reds. When does the pressure heat up in the coach?? 0-4??
It's 1-9 if you go back to last year.

Thorn is safe for this year. There's no clear replacement waiting in the wings and they couldn't afford to pay him out.

He'll be wanting some good performances over the next little bit before contract negotiations in April though

Reactions: dru

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Surely the lessons of the coach revolving door horror show will not have been lost.

I think there is clear and obvious improvement. I believe he should be safe for as long as that continues to be the case. Wins will flow so long as the improvement continues. The squad is very young. The Reds have invested in a complete rebuild, i'd be very surprised if they don't see it through with Thorn until the end of 2021 at least.

The price Thorn commands will be effected by the short term results no doubt, but i'd imagine the board would be pretty comfortable with the direction the program is heading.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I think regardless of Thorns efficacy at producing wins they'd see him through to 2021. Thorn has shown he's effective at player development and preparing guys for Test Rugby. If we don't get wins before Thron's contract is up we will likely bring in someone established, likely with a winning track record at Super Level (or Europe). As for Thron I could see us moving him into a player Development role (perhaps something like a 'Director of Rugby Development' role to not move him backwards, or we might just let him go. But I don't see too many scenarios where the Reds sack Thorn early, even if the wins don't come our players are getting better we ought to have a very strong Wallabies contingent (along with a lot of guys in serious contention for spots). Worst case, Thorn as a coach is an awful 'winner' but an excellent developer of talent. Best case he's better than Ewen.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Bearing in mind that Lukhan at Left Lock gives you increased mobility as well.

Wright gives you a legit 3rd jumping option too.

I wouldn't be too worried by trying to play "traditional/positional" body types in the back row. That shit gets dwelled on way too much. Play your best guys and if that gives you a different type of match up advantage with increased speed and mobility - so you can play with some tempo , without compromising your set piece ,then fantastic.

Just like the Tahs. Nah, don't think so. I reckon Liam Wright is next in line to take over from Hooper as Wallaby No 7. He might get found out a bit a No 6 due to his size (98kg iirc). Even though he could one day be the best of them all, Fraser might have to bide his time.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
My criticism of Thorn so far has been that I wasn’t sure there was evidence that he was a good coach from a tactical point of view.

But I think we are starting to see an emergence of a smarter, more tactical game and some of the things I’ve been frustrated with in the past seem to be getting addressed (although some are still a work in progress).

We’ll see how things play out over the next few weeks, but I think (or at least am hopeful) we are seeing a more tactical game style emerge.

Better clearance kicking would help - but Thorn has clearly put emphasis on that, the players need to execute better.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Just like the Tahs. Nah, don't think so. I reckon Liam Wright is next in line to take over from Hooper as Wallaby No 7. He might get found out a bit a No 6 due to his size (98kg iirc). Even though he could one day be the best of them all, Fraser might have to bide his time.
To be fair our game plan isn’t anything like the Tahs. Adding McReight to the back row won’t materially change that.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Isn't our gameplan just knock the ball on, win the scrum penalty (against the feed), kick down field, and if the other team have the ball put on big hit's till they knock it on, oh and also try for pilfers. /s

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I see a pack focused on hit ups just a little wide of the ruck, making busts for go forward. Not entirely unlike Cheika attempted with the WBs. Backs also focused on 10-13 with outside picking up more or less on opportunity.

Similarly there is effort in D on the ruck and reclaiming possession - though the penalty count suggests it needs plenty of tidying up.

There is effort in our set piece, especially the scrum. Line out has plenty of room to improve.

Exit and territory strategy seems a little nascent but I get the feeling that it is actually a work in progress.

Looking forward to seeing a game live to get a better feel for defensive positioning and thinking - though on (lost ball) turnover there have been a couple of occasions with players caught out of position and having to work hard at the change.

We play more risk than previously.

There are some real fundamentals building which seem like improvements through changes in the broader coaching team as well as Thorn developing as HC. It is looking pretty good so far, irrespective on the W/L account.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Yeh I think we've seen Thorn develop some actual gameplans this year.

Last season there were moments of brilliance (Brumbies game at Suncorp) but it was too easy to fall back on the standard, win/dominate set piece, crash ball Kerevi, forwards reset, crash ball Kerevi, yada yada yada.

New combinations in key positions have changed that and I think the Reds actually look better with ball in hand this year.

B

Bobby Sands

Yeh I think we've seen Thorn develop some actual gameplans this year.

Last season there were moments of brilliance (Brumbies game at Suncorp) but it was too easy to fall back on the standard, win/dominate set piece, crash ball Kerevi, forwards reset, crash ball Kerevi, yada yada yada.

New combinations in key positions have changed that and I think the Reds actually look better with ball in hand this year.

Kerevi hampered the development of the side as he refused to adapt his game.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Bloody sad news for him, but interestingly it's about 21 weeks until the u20s world cup. Jordan is still only turning 20 this year, if he's on track and his body is right I'd like to see him go to the under 20's rather than attempting to rush him back to the wallabies. He needs time playing rugby and given the injuries he's had a bit of time in his own age grade is probably the place to get it. Otherwise time in the gym to get his body right.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Kerevi hampered the development of the side as he refused to adapt his game.

I don't disagree but at the same time, how much flexibility do we think Kerevi was given? It was clear he was the most dominant ball running back in Super Rugby, and the Reds built their team around him playing that style of game.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I don't disagree but at the same time, how much flexibility do we think Kerevi was given? It was clear he was the most dominant ball running back in Super Rugby, and the Reds built their team around him playing that style of game.

I don't think the blame is necessarily on Kerevi. Outside of defensive issues he showed improvement in his kicking game last season but needed to do more regarding his decision making.

The blame should probably be shifted to those outside and inside Samu. Why weren't they doing more with the opportunities that Kerevi got them i.e. why weren't they on his inside hip during a break, why didn't they use him more as a decoy etc etc

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I don't think the blame is necessarily on Kerevi. Outside of defensive issues he showed improvement in his kicking game last season but needed to do more regarding his decision making.

The blame should probably be shifted to those outside and inside Samu. Why weren't they doing more with the opportunities that Kerevi got them i.e. why weren't they on his inside hip during a break, why didn't they use him more as a decoy etc etc

I just had to go and relieve myself thinking about 2011 Digby running off a Kerevi line break.

Fried_Chicken_and_Beer

Stan Wickham (3)
Even though we aren’t winning, god I love the Reds.

That we do Bobby! My partner asks me every week,

'Why do you follow them when they disappoint you every weekend?" or

"It's so nice when it's not footy season because you won't be disappointed come the end of Saturday night."

I can't offer anything up other than it's been a lifelong love affair since I was a kid.

Can't take it back now.

B

Bobby Sands

Im not saying he had negative intent, just that he didn’t do any of the other players any favours. I used to get infuriated at Samu not creating space for others. With some minor tweaks he could be one of the best players anywhere.