• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Fried_Chicken_and_Beer

Stan Wickham (3)
Fair enough.

What do you like about Lukhan at 6 that he does offer at 4/5?

Genuinely curious, as to me all it leads to is I’ll discipline and missed tackles in wider channels.

I used to think along these lines regarding LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). However, what he has been producing at lock thus far has been nothing short of impressive. Could be a case of a player that has the skill set to play 6 but is better suited at playing lock. Having those skills as a lock can only be an asset to LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)'s overall game.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
That we do Bobby! My partner asks me every week,

'Why do you follow them when they disappoint you every weekend?" or

"It's so nice when it's not footy season because you won't be disappointed come the end of Saturday night."

I can't offer anything up other than it's been a lifelong love affair since I was a kid.

Can't take it back now.

I feel the exact same for the Brumbies, some of my best memories have been in Canberra at the concrete eski with mates screaming my head off in the pouring rain.

It will be till the day I die or they do..

Fried_Chicken_and_Beer

Stan Wickham (3)
Enough time has past now and I feel comfortable sharing. Who else finds watching the Reds emotionally draining? I can't watch them but can't not watch either, I find myself finding things to do around the house whilst watching the tele. By full time I am totally shattered.

Every single time! I was mowing the lawn last Sunday morning because I just had this inkling that it wasn't going to be our morning over in Argentina. I hate when my inklings are right.

B

Bobby Sands

I used to think along these lines regarding LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). However, what he has been producing at lock thus far has been nothing short of impressive. Could be a case of a player that has the skill set to play 6 but is better suited at playing lock. Having those skills as a lock can only be an asset to LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)'s overall game.

To be clear, my thinking was that he is a lock not a 6.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That we do Bobby! My partner asks me every week,

'Why do you follow them when they disappoint you every weekend?" or

"It's so nice when it's not footy season because you won't be disappointed come the end of Saturday night."

I can't offer anything up other than it's been a lifelong love affair since I was a kid.

Can't take it back now.
Get out mate. No one should feel locked in an abusive relationship.

There are support groups available.

There is one gathering this weekend at Suncorp.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I've gota mate who refuses to watch the Reds after 60 minutes. He has to leave the room and wait for the disappointing news

I watched the first half of the Reds game and had to then go out - saw the result from the second half and had to keep away from this site for the week given Brumbies loss at death and then Reds second half capitulation....too bloody dissapointed with Oz Super Rugby sides inability to get a result against overseas sides.

Dusky W

Allen Oxlade (6)
Comments around Wright and lack of size for 6 sort of gets you thinking around a bigger issue about how backward Rugby is in its thinking compared to other contact / collision football codes here in Australia and also overseas.

Best performing running backs in the NFL range between 5'10 to 6'1 (lower center of gravity)and come in between 96kg to 102kg. ..... Increasingly, in other collision codes , it's about carrying less mass and projecting more power and speed.

So...I'm not phased in a seemingly more unorthodox line up in the back row , if it were to pass, that ran Wright /McReight/Wilson as our starters.

You can build your own advantage with that.

Nice post Garry (see18/2 for full post). I had a check of the rb's this year, and 13 of the top 15 were under 6'1. Looking at some of the all-time great lists, also had over 90% of them under 6'1.

McReight certainly clocks up impressive post-contact meters with his speed and balance. Hooper (who i am a grudging fan of wrt actual play; off field and between play is another matter) also punches above his weight for meters gained. the bonus with these "shorter" loosies is the odds of a high tackle and yellow/red cards are very much reduced.

As soon as his match conditioning is up, I would be very surprised if McReight isn't starting open-side, with Wright at blindside. Then ASY (Angus Scott-Young), HW and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) can fight it out for the No 8 spot.

B

Bobby Sands

Nice post Garry (see18/2 for full post). I had a check of the rb's this year, and 13 of the top 15 were under 6'1. Looking at some of the all-time great lists, also had over 90% of them under 6'1.

McReight certainly clocks up impressive post-contact meters with his speed and balance. Hooper (who i am a grudging fan of wrt actual play; off field and between play is another matter) also punches above his weight for meters gained. the bonus with these "shorter" loosies is the odds of a high tackle and yellow/red cards are very much reduced.

As soon as his match conditioning is up, I would be very surprised if McReight isn't starting open-side, with Wright at blindside. Then ASY (Angus Scott-Young), HW and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) can fight it out for the No 8 spot.

Lukhan does not have close to the required skills to play 8, and no man alive would take ASY (Angus Scott-Young) over Wilson at 8. Harry owns that jersey now, Fraser will probably do something similar at 7 and Liam will adjust accordingly.

Years ago I was very excited about Quirk, Shatz, Gill - I hope this backrow is more successful.

Reactions: dru

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

All of this completely ignores 75% of what a 6 does (or should/could) do on a rugby field. A running back has one job, maybe two if you include blocking. There are many other considerations for the roles required at blindside

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think we could see ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Wilson rotate through the No.8 position to manage fatigue

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
All of this completely ignores 75% of what a 6 does (or should/could) do on a rugby field. A running back has one job, maybe two if you include blocking. There are many other considerations for the roles required at blindside
Sure. And agreed.

I meant to refer to collision power generally , although , I do admit I specifically referenced post contact meters that everyone geeks out on these days. But collision power also is meant to cover the ability to stop or keep attacking players behind the game line as a defender

Also on my checklist that requires less mass ( or works better without it if the focus is on strength-power/movement velocity ) is :

• Lateral movement / foot speed ( which is why I am not an ASY (Angus Scott-Young) fan who consistently gets beat on the outside shoulder defensively - this ability to get greater area coverage , defensively, in space, is important )
  • Moving the furniture at the breakdown
  • Engine / Endurance to maintain similar consistent power as the game goes on
  • Skill / Link capacity to function as a 3rd Centre in attack and especially in blindside forays
  • Set Piece ( Lineout ) as the 3rd Jumper where you likely will be jumping at the rear where fine margins in vertical leap , hang time , adjusted capacity to contest in the air .....
All offset the lazy selection of a 3rd lock who sees himself as a 6/8 and has a bit of Tarzan -Jane syndrome happening ( Ned Hanigan anyone ? )

So yeah give me someone with the abrasiveness and mentality of Sean McMahon but with the set piece / ball on ground / link game of Liam Wright .

I also do believe that we tend to look at positions and types / styles of players singularly too much without considering how they complement other players - where those dynamics do matter. Just on this I think Wright is very controlled and I have all the time in the world for him as a player . Wilson's overt confidence and aggression seems like an ideal complementary fit . McReight also projects a tonne of confidence in his manner as a player and may not be as animated as Wilson but definitely plays with aggression. I like the possibilities of the skill mix and the dynamic mix of these 3

But out of interest what is on your 6 checklist Cobber ?