• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I think the score accelerating can also be attributed to the fatigue levels of the Force as much as it can be to the inclusion of Hegarty.

Anyway its a handy conundrum to have, shows good depth in the squad when players can seamlessly slot in.
Hegarty controls a better backline and is more of a classic flyhalf whereas JOC (James O'Connor) will always be a centre.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Hegarty controls a better backline and is more of a classic flyhalf whereas JOC (James O'Connor) will always be a centre.

Agree he is more of a classic flyhalf, however based on 2019 form I’m not convinced he controls a better backline though

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
From what I hear some habits don’t die. I think the coaches saw a sit of that in South Africa at the beginning of the year.

I always remember a description of James O'Connor by Spiro Zavos about his antics with Quade and Kurtley back in the Robbie Deans era. Supposedly an ARU official told him: "O’Connor was the worst of the Three Amigos....he would encourage and lead his mates into trouble and then, somehow, slide away unscathed, while the other two copped the blame and the punishments."
I'd heard something similar from an ex-Wallaby who played with all three at the time: O'Connor was sneaky bad and the other two weren't smart enough to avoid getting caught up in it all.

Either way he is playing some really good footy now and I hope he kicks on.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I always remember a description of James O'Connor by Spiro Zavos about his antics with Quade and Kurtley back in the Robbie Deans era. Supposedly an ARU official told him: "O’Connor was the worst of the Three Amigos..he would encourage and lead his mates into trouble and then, somehow, slide away unscathed, while the other two copped the blame and the punishments."
I'd heard something similar from an ex-Wallaby who played with all three at the time: O'Connor was sneaky bad and the other two weren't smart enough to avoid getting caught up in it all.

Hmm don't think its quite that - its not that the other two weren't smart enough, they still got away with plenty that never made it to the media.
O'Connor was the golden haired wunderkind. His mates were a kiwi import and his indigenous friend - the targets on their backs were much more prominent.

Not saying any of them were saints back in the day but its hard to ignore that aspect of the dynamic.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I always remember a description of James O'Connor by Spiro Zavos about his antics with Quade and Kurtley back in the Robbie Deans era. Supposedly an ARU official told him: "O’Connor was the worst of the Three Amigos..he would encourage and lead his mates into trouble and then, somehow, slide away unscathed, while the other two copped the blame and the punishments."

As a Nudgee old boy I have always protected our own but I was very sceptical of JOC (James O'Connor) returning because of his deceptive nature. After hearing the media rant that he was a new person I gave him the benefit of the doubt and thought he would bring experience to our young Red’s team.
Stories I’m hearing from boys in the locker room is that he has brought a divide to the group and no one believes a word he says. I now wonder if that’s why we have had a mass departure with rumours that others wanting a release or waiting their time out. It seems his deceptive antics and social habits remain.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Another great piece of analysis on the Reds, and particularly Thor by Nicholas Bishop on the Roar

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/08/26/reds-feel-both-the-quality-and-the-width-on-the-gold-coast/

The Queensland Reds’ attacking supremo Jim McKay has certainly found a way to get the most out of Taniela Tupou’s unique combination of speed, power and ball-handling skills in the middle of the field. His ability to do something other than plough straight ahead as a ball-carrier prised open the spaces which only James O’Connor and Fraser McReight could enjoy.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
B

Bobby Sands

Always enjoy his analysis and his considered response when/if you question parts of it. Don't like being shouted down by the crowd if you suggest something different and disagree with it.

It is just to rare to have a world-class analyst put his/her thoughts in the public domain.

It only highlights just how poor the "analysis" of journalists / ex players are and that we are dished up.

It would be great to get some of these guys into the commentary box.

Horan, Kafe, Bozo, Martyn etc are holding the game back.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
It is just to rare to have a world-class analyst put his/her thoughts in the public domain.

It only highlights just how poor the "analysis" of journalists / ex players are and that we are dished up.

It would be great to get some of these guys into the commentary box.

Horan, Kafe, Bozo, Martyn etc are holding the game back.

Commercial TV is a follower. If there is enough traction they will change.

So many more opportunities/training grounds with these new mediums. Rugbypass has been on the ball picking up The Rugby Ruckus and Only/Aussie Rugby Show but also Cluch which has a couple of shows (The Midweeker and Grassroots Rugby).

Loving the reduced barrier to to this space and hopefully RA can somehow get some cash out of Twiggy to help support production of these types of shows.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Smith twins back.

4135112B-17E8-49F2-9B3B-BEA0366E072F.jpeg

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hopefully its more then just...Ruan is in Town

Hopefully, whatever the reason Ruan left for is now over and he can be a Red. Fotuaika is not up to it and Nonggoor is just a kid. Smith twins off the bench would be hugely beneficial for 2021.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think Fotuaika is an extremely promising prop and really improved during 2019, his 2020 season has just been riddled with injury from the very start. Agree that the Smith twins would be good have in the squad for 2021