• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It looked like the backline must have got some extra breakdown training since their last game, a lot more involvement and decent attempts to clear out the Brumbies.

Daugunu in particular seemed to be involved in the rucks a lot more tonight, great to see, it stretches the opponents forwards to come out wider to ensure ball security when the centres and wings are getting involved.

Plenty to like tonight, especially hearing the crowd is the biggest post Covid for Suncorp.

Who knows, a premiership and a Broncos wooden spoon could lead into a successful 2021 with big membership. I would like to think that any person who has a passing interest in Rugby can see the Reds are on the brink of something special.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I really wish the QRU adopted those aboriginal jerseys for the year. Whoever they get to design them constantly hits it out of the park and the Brumbies one looked fantastic as well.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I really wish the QRU adopted those aboriginal jerseys for the year. Whoever they get to design them constantly hits it out of the park and the Brumbies one looked fantastic as well.

The Reds version always looks good because they seem to be part of the jersey design, not just stuck on over the top of the usual design.

B

Bobby Sands

And what is scary is all of that backrow still has further growth and improvement to come given early days for all in their pro rugby career.

Fraser and Harry are rookies. Liam is 22.

The other thing is that Fraser and Harry are inseparable.

At Brothers, at training, socially etc.

They are literally our bash brothers, and more importantly really committed to winning and doing what is required to get there. (off-field and on-field).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Fraser and Harry are rookies. Liam is 22.

The other thing is that Fraser and Harry are inseparable.

At Brothers, at training, socially etc.

They are literally our bash brothers, and more importantly really committed to winning and doing what is required to get there. (off-field and on-field).
Future long term wallaby backrow written all over it

B

Bobby Sands

Future long term wallaby backrow written all over it

While it has been clear how good they are since practically school or just out - the Prems grade GF and Semi from last year is well worth watching.

They were playing against seriously Prem grade hardened packs, and basically played one of the best duo games you will see.

The entire Brothers side was handy, but they were just exceptional.

Speaks volumes, because that is seriously good rugby and they were 19/20.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
While it has been clear how good they are since practically school or just out - the Prems grade GF and Semi from last year is well worth watching.

They were playing against seriously Prem grade hardened packs, and basically played one of the best duo games you will see.

The entire Brothers side was handy, but they were just exceptional.

Speaks volumes, because that is seriously good rugby and they were 19/20.

Bobby, what do you think of Wilson's ability to go to the top level? I know he's young and will develop into his body more. I look at premiership rugby and players like Billy V, Hughes, Curry (also PSDT, Savea) will continually beat/bend the line even in quiet games. I'm apprehensive Harry's ability on the big stage.

B

Bobby Sands

Bobby, what do you think of Wilson's ability to go to the top level? I know he's young and will develop into his body more. I look at premiership rugby and players like Billy V, Hughes, Curry (also PSDT, Savea) will continually beat/bend the line even in quiet games. I'm apprehensive Harry's ability on the big stage.

Not at all from my perspective, he is one of the most incredible first year players I have ever seen.

He has been "up" for much longer than Fraser, and is probably just tiring.

He really has everything you need to be a world class 8. He is tall and naturally 110kgs, runs incredible lines, and has beautiful hands and an enormous engine/workrate.

We were family friends with Ron Archer (one of Australia's most gifted cricketers before injury) and he told me when I was a boy that the truly great sportsmen are good at everything (Ron was good at everything).

Harry is the same, in that he was a god at cricket as well - which is pretty rare for a bloke his size to have such delicate and at the same time brutal hands in cricket.

The one major issue in Harry's game is defense. Not that he is a poor defender, but he is not a natural defender and he oftens manhandles people to the ground rather than getting his feet and body into the correct position to make a more technical tackle.

But to be honest, I could not be more bullish on his prospects. His upside is unchartered.

Fraser is much more polished obviously, but he doesn't have the natural size that Harry has. Bigger athletes take longer to become physically comfortable in their body.

You have got to remember they are not even hardened yet, they are both pudgy and carrying puppy fat. While that is their natural body shape, they are nowhere near their physical peak.

One of the Jeeps S&C told me something the other day I thought was interesting about them. He said, "Fraser would hate that Harry is doing better than him at Super, it would be driving him crazy. Those two will never slacken off, as they are so competitive with each other first and foremost."

The future of QLD rugby is bright, and when QLD is strong - Australian rugby is at its strongest.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
There is no doubt that Fraser and Harry are developing into Super Rugby superbly but let’s not elevate them too much at this time. Experience will bring the most important tool of all, “consistency”. Too often we are seeing penalties against them in the breakdown and a few knock ons. Fraser is a more disciplined player whereas Harry is more explosive. Let’s not talk Wallabies just yet. Give them a year or two.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
One of the Jeeps S&C told me something the other day I thought was interesting about them. He said, "Fraser would hate that Harry is doing better than him at Super, it would be driving him crazy. Those two will never slacken off, as they are so competitive with each other first and foremost."

Great anecdote

B

Bobby Sands

There is no doubt that Fraser and Harry are developing into Super Rugby superbly but let’s no elevate them too much at this time. Experience will bring the most important tool of all, “consistency”. Too often we are seeing penalties against them in the breakdown and a few knock ons. Fraser is a more disciplined player whereas Harry is more explosive. Let’s not talk Wallabies just yet. Give them a year or two.

Agree, but they will both be in the squad this year which I think is a good thing.

Samu and Hooper are good hardened pro's that will set a good standard for them and when they replace them they will have seriously earned it - which will be excellent for their development.

God I hope we don't lose Fraser overseas by rusting Hooper onto the 7 jersey in a few years, but something tells me Rennie is seriously clued on and won't let that happen. For the record, as much as I don't rate Hooper I still think he has plenty of worth for developing these players etc.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Agree, but they will both be in the squad this year which I think is a good thing.

Samu and Hooper are good hardened pro's that will set a good standard for them and when they replace them they will have seriously earned it - which will be excellent for their development.

God I hope we don't lose Fraser overseas by rusting Hooper onto the 7 jersey in a few years, but something tells me Rennie is seriously clued on and won't let that happen. For the record, as much as I don't rate Hooper I still think he has plenty of worth for developing these players etc.
As much as I would like a QLDer in that 7 jersey, Hooper’s workload and strength is undeniable. Hooper is a must. The young ones (including Wright) will learn more from him being around the next couple of years. We all know that developing players learn more from the players around them than they do from the coaches.

B

Bobby Sands

As much as I would like a QLDer in that 7 jersey, Hooper workload and strength is undeniable. Hooper is a must. The young ones (including Wright) will learn more from him being around the next couple of years. We all know that developing players learn more from the players around them than they do from the coaches.

Agree, but if neither are given a chance to displace him (ie if we give him another golden handshake/ rusted on contract) it will ruin Australian Rugby with perpetuity. Make them go head to head for the WC starting spot, Hooper does not need any more long term contracts.

The easiest way to achieve this is for QLD to become a powerhouse again, and let results dictate selection.

Reactions: dru