• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So the Reds have 10 props in their squad now? How many are fit?

Dave F
Feo F
Dane Z are all out apparently.

JP hasn't played for a while but seems back.

Thor, Hoopert (just back), Stracker are fit (although did Stracker get injured in the last game?)

Zonggorr was part of the WTS but is probably full time now.

Ruan back.

Nasser now a hooker (covering for injured Mafi). Anyone I miss? Assume Felemi has gone back to club land now?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Is that photo of JP and Ruan definitely current and not from last year? I thought Ruan was out at his dads farm currently recovering from injury.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Reds put it on social media last week. The caption was "nice to have you home Ruan"

Wayne smith has a bit more detail:

After serving his quarantine and spending time at his father’s farm at Kilcoy, he was lured back to Ballymore on a short-term injury cover contract as the Reds were forced to plumb the depths of their propping talent because of an injury crisis.
It promises to be only a short stay because he is understood to have accepted a contract with Major League Rugby in the USA, but he is likely to be in the Queensland 23 for Saturday’s match against the Brumbies, along with his twin brother.

Looks like his family were all still in Brisbane so he needed to come back up at the start of lockdown and the Rebels were happy to release him. Useful cover for the last 2-3 games at least.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Geez I thought that Major League Rugby might be on skates due to COVID and USA Rugby going bankrupt (although USA rugby do not own the MLR comp). Interesting that they're picking up a bloke who most considered one of the better tightheads in Aussie super rugby last year, I thought their main targets were QPR level players and retired veterans ala Digby Ioane. Must have a bit of $$$ behind their contracts.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Geez I thought that Major League Rugby might be on skates due to COVID and USA Rugby going bankrupt (although USA rugby do not own the MLR comp). Interesting that they're picking up a bloke who most considered one of the better tightheads in Aussie super rugby last year, I thought their main targets were QPR level players and retired veterans ala Digby Ioane. Must have a bit of $$$ behind their contracts.

they also have 24 hour out clauses, at the benefit of the club, apparently...

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
they also have 24 hour out clauses, at the benefit of the club, apparently.

Interesting - my work crosses over with some businesses in the US quite frequently and I believe that type of contract isn't uncommon for white collar jobs over there. But doesn't seem overly practical for guys who are relocating their lives across the other side of the world.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

The only thing that connects MLR and USA Rugby is the sanctioning agreement in place. They're completely separate entities. With no overlap. The only way MLR could have been in danger was if those backing ran out of cash. And as there's quite a bit of money backing the league in terms of ownership groups. That's unlikely.

B

Bobby Sands

The upside of losing those two tall pea hearts is that Blythey has come on in bounds, and Lukhan is now firmly settled in his best spot.

Net positive, especially when you consider Wright now at 6 and Fraser at 7.

Give em heaps tonight lads.