• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Stats are a general indicator of a player’s game, and are not broken down to the overall effectiveness of the play. Don’t get too wrapped up on the stats. Anyone who has had experience in professional rugby coaching (and playing) knows that the stats are used primarily as an involvement indicator and game play mapping.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't think Blyth was playing very well, he certainly wasn't playing to his potential or a reflection of the length of time he has been in the system.

Smith on the other hand is a part-time player who still has a day job, yet performed to the same standard if not better, i think that's the kind of effort which Thorn likes to reward.

I expect Blyth has been given a few areas of his game to work on in club land, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Blyth back this week.

I have heard Smith is a very keen learner, does extras in the gym, reviews lots of video. Of course that would be put down to the fact he's a part-timer looking for a full fare gig. Besides that, if you've got two blokes who look able to give you similar output, you'll probably go with the bloke who is eager to do more and grow.

I'm not sure how much it is Blyth not being liked, as much as it is Smith being viewed as a higher ceiling due to his willingness to learn and improve. There wasn't anything I'd seen from Blyth that showed me had potential and skill that would make him above all others.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Thorn rewards the hard work we as fans don’t get to see , would say there is more than something to what Phil has posted above.

Blyth has been in the system since finishing school and Thorn has been his coach for quite a few of those years . He has been sent back to club rugby and would imagine has been told what to work on .

I haven’t seen all the Bond games , but the ones I have seen Blyth wasn’t exactly killing it or being totally dominant. He looked good in the lineout with Mafi throwing and Nonggorr driving through against Easts. Guess you would expect that .

Bottom line for me is Thorn knows him and his game pretty well. If he is not getting picked , Thorn would have his reasons .

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Blyth is very good at the all important lineout skills.
He also doesn't take a backward step in the engine room at scrum time.
Possibly he might be seen as a bit of a plodder around the paddock, and maybe that's what BT told him to pick up his socks on.
But in a GF, against the Brumbies, you need those first two attributes.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
With question marks over the fitness of Wilson and Petaia, will be interesting to see the lineup for the first Trans Tasman match. Bit of depth to bring in and opportunity for rotating players:

1. Fotuaika
2. Mafi
3. Tupou
4. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
5. Blyth
6. Wright
7. McReight
8. Uru
9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Daugunu
12, Stewart
13. Flook
14. Vunivalu
15. Hegarty

16. BPA
17. Zander
18. Nongorr
19. Smith
20. ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
21. Sorovi
22. Henry
23. Campbell

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I actually think Flook long term is a 15 -- not sure about his kicking game and tactical play, but just the way he runs the ball etc, he's a knifing sort of ball runner who needs that space and needs to be able to ask questions of defenders rather than outright beat them with power. A little bit like Campbell.

I think they'll need a little more rotation than what Adam is suggesting. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) & Tupou for example will be cooked, they've played so much rugby and they put it all out there last night. I think guys like O'Connor or Hegarty are consummate professionals, they'll have had a few beers with the boys but then would have been in the gym first thing Monday morning. I think you've got to be really sensitive to the fact that for most of these guys this is the first real success they've had and so many of them are really young guys, and you've got to let them enjoy that.

I reckon you run as many starters as you can from the bench and accept this first game is going to be tough, but to try to get the team in a good place for the Crusaders Rd 2. One loss is going to be recoverable but two losses is probably game over. I think they can probably field a B-Team and be competitive against the Highlanders and if you've got your rested Starters closing out the game you can probably trust them to get the job done.

1. Fotuaika
2. Mafi
3. Nongorr
4. Smith
5. Blyth
6. Wright
7. Wallis
8. Uru
9. Sorovi
10. Hegarty
11. Daugunu
12. Stewart
13. Flook
14. Vunivalu
15. Campbell

16. BPA
17. Zander
18. Tupou
19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
20. ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
21. McDermott
22. JOC (James O'Connor)
23. Droasese

Obviously this is a 'B' side but I think you've built all this depth in your squad, you've got this amazing squad that's even more than just the 23, but 33 players who you can trust at this level. I'd be giving those guys a call tonight and telling them we want to give you an opportunity, and they can stand up and make something of that but they've gotta prove that during the week and then prove that on the field against New Zealand.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
By the look of their socials , a few of them will be lucky to be sober to play next week . Mad Monday-ish .

They are young and good on them for enjoying their success.

Next weekend might be a bit scary.

As far as Wilso is concerned, the accepted medical advice is no alcohol for at least 48hrs , as if that was ever going to happen!

Enjoy lads , just please be half ready for next week , job’s only half done.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Fair call on the light workload in the past few weeks. I'd give Tate the week on the bench, and maybe start JOC (James O'Connor). But point is I think you've gotta understand they are going to cut lose a bit and make your selections knowing some of them might be a little under/over cooked and make your selections on that basis. But THIS Reds team should have 20 odd guys who are all capable of starting at Super Rugby level.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Fair point, Thorn has said similar:

“I reckon the guys won’t want to hear about this,” the former World Cup-winning All Black said following the Reds’ gripping 19-16 win over the Brumbies, “but the biggest challenge will be this next game.

“We’ve got a six-day turnaround. I’ve got to let the guys enjoy this moment and savour it and you’ve got to embrace that, so have a couple of days. We fly in [Queenstown] on Wednesday night. I’d say there will be a bit of rotation of players.”

https://apple.news/Ah3BMzCNBTduTxJ39v5W1Zw

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I know we are missing some key players this week but I reckon we’ll go okay. Thorn doesn’t seem too worried about the results in this first game. Injuries really playing havoc on Petaia these past couple of years.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Any update on how Paisami is travelling? I wouldn't be surprised that a cheekbone fracture might leave someone a little head shy until real confidence in the recovery is developed during actual game time.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Any update on how Paisami is travelling? I wouldn't be surprised that a cheekbone fracture might leave someone a little head shy until real confidence in the recovery is developed during actual game time.

Thorn said he was hoping Paisami would be back for the Crusaders game, but that call would be made next week.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I was making my ToTW and saw that Uru made 18 runs and 9 tackles against the Highlanders, great engine. Whilst Blyth made 2 tackles and missed 2 tackles. Not good man.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I was making my ToTW and saw that Uru made 18 runs and 9 tackles against the Highlanders, great engine. Whilst Blyth made 2 tackles and missed 2 tackles. Not good man.
His missed clean out over Stewart , who was admittedly crabbing sideways and doing a great job of getting himself isolated, was his biggest miss. His cleans need to be a lot more accurate and effective.