• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It’s good to hear such positivity about some of these young guys coming through.

We’re never going to keep them all, especially with the level of competition for signatures but at least if we are producing them that is a great starting point. Looking forward to seeing some of these young guys in Maroon as they blossom.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
While we are talking about Mac.

Dion Samuela was selected ahead of him for Oz Schools last year (rightfully or wrongfully) and was circled hard by league, but chose to stay in rugby. He is in Brisbane somewhere as well, does anyone know what he's up to?
He was playing Colts 1 at Bond at the start of the season before COVID , haven’t heard where he is playing now .

J

JeepsTragic

I don't know if that lockdown rule is actually still a thing? I'm fairly sure Felemi played for GPS one weekend and then came off the bench for the Reds last weekend.

I know when the competition was announced as resuming, they said they'd only be selecting players in the 'bubble' but it seems to have loosened a bit, at least in QLD.

Felemi hasn't played for GPS this year. Emosi Tuiqiri and Freddy Burke have started all 3 games.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
While we are talking about Mac , both he and Sam Wallace were called up into the Reds senior squad from UQ Prems around the same time as Flook , Thomas , Nonggor and co.

Sam still is with the Reds squad , Mac has been released back to UQ despite them getting a good look at his talents.

He will benefit greatly from a season of QPR.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Felemi hasn't played for GPS this year. Emosi Tuiqiri and Freddy Burke have started all 3 games.

Yeah Sean Farrell hasn’t played for Souths in QPR either but turned up on the reds bench on the weekend, seems the bubble exists. He is looking bigger as well, apparently put on 5-6 kg in during lockdown

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

You are probably right to be honest, but I'm fairly sure he started against Wests - he was definitely named in the starting side, although I must admit I can't remember for sure if he played. Anyways - maybe the bubble does exist if you're correct.

B

Bobby Sands

While we are talking about Mac , both he and Sam Wallace were called up into the Reds senior squad from UQ Prems around the same time as Flook , Thomas , Nonggor and co.

Sam still is with the Reds squad , Mac has been released back to UQ despite them getting a good look at his talents.

He will benefit greatly from a season of QPR.

Who on earth is Sam Wallace?

Do you mean that backrower?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I am also addicted to UberEats.

Dont we all, by the looks of him on the weekend it was healthy weight.
He had been told he needed to put some weight on, his cardio wasn't the issue, he was just playing a bit too light for a hooker in Super Rugby.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Interesting there has been radio silence on Vunivalu. You’d think a journo would have pulled him aside by now for the standard ‘have you been watching your future team post-Covid they’re not bad are they blah blah blah’ chat. A player of his profile (he’s been playing very well for the Storm) you would think they RA media would want more in the spotlight.

Considering how well Daugunnu and Petaia are playing I would imagine something as simple as ‘Reds wingers in Wallaby contention will be a good headache for Thorn in 2021’ would hit the spot for the QRU media team. Spark some interest!

Definitely makes me wonder if the deal is going south.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Well he just broke his jaw so he wont be saying much.

But more broadly, he is still contracted to and playing for the Storm, I think it would be in bad taste to keep hitting him up for headlines on the Reds when he has a job to do in the NRL first.

Double Agent

Allen Oxlade (6)
I posted this in the Waratahs 2020 thread so apologies if I am breaking rules, but is this the answer to our flyhalf issues?

NEW South Wales Waratah great, Mack Mason will be swapping his sky blue jersey for a Roma Echidnas jersey as the joins the local boys in the fight against the Toowoomba Bears tomorrow, Saturday, August 14.

I was listening to 2SM Talkin' Sport here in Sydney yesterday - Brett Papworth is on the panel a few days a week along with ex-league players Graeme Hughes and Peter Tunks and ex-cricketer Gav Robertson. The Echidnas Club President (I think) called in to talk about exactly this - Mack playing for them last weekend. It's a great call/interview about a good grassroots rugby story. He talks about how Mack has been staying at the family property after the Tahs didn't invite him back post-Covid and he's likely to go to USA next year to play. Apparently he just showed up at training and asked if he could train and get a game... funnily enough they said yes. Sounds like a top young bloke. Drew a huge crowd to the game.

If anyone wants to listen to it here is the link to the show for Tuesday 19 Aug - https://2smsupernetwork.com/talkin-sport-on-the-19th-of-august/

Launch the audio player and go to around 1:24:00 on the timer when the call starts.

Don't listen to the rest of the how unless you want to hear their usual band of crazy regulars...usually just endless calls about the league bunker.... but I find it strangely addictive when stuck in traffic.

Mods - hope it's OK to add this link.

J

JeepsTragic

Interesting that the Reds have picked Josh Nasser as reserve hooker. I hope it goes well for him. He has been reasonably good around the paddock but his scrumaging has been second rate. He could barely hold up a scrum in club rugby let alone in Super Rugby so the move from tight head to hooker could be a stroke of genius.

The other interesting selection is Flook at 13 instead of Petaia. Are they trying to shield Petaia by playing him on the wing? I thought his position was 13, so it is a bit perplexing that they would keep him on the wing when Hunter was ruled out. Is this a mistake or another stroke of genius?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The other interesting selection is Flook at 13 instead of Petaia. Are they trying to shield Petaia by playing him on the wing? I thought his position was 13, so it is a bit perplexing that they would keep him on the wing when Hunter was ruled out. Is this a mistake or another stroke of genius?

I think it's more about the fact that Flook is a 13 and Petaia has experience on the wing and has already gone well there. Better to bring the young guy in to the position he knows and understands for his first start.

Certainly don't think it's about shielding Petaia.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Interesting that the Reds have picked Josh Nasser as reserve hooker. I hope it goes well for him. He has been reasonably good around the paddock but his scrumaging has been second rate. He could barely hold up a scrum in club rugby let alone in Super Rugby so the move from tight head to hooker could be a stroke of genius.

I'd find it amusing if he came on and nailed all his lineout throws.