• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I will say, having watched his video, that did look like a couple of times he has wandered into a pathways game. The first poor kid in particular looked like he came up to his waist.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think we are sometimes a bit over keen to move our best wingers.

Guys like Campo, Tune, Jonah, Roff & Habana played the vast majority of their game on the wing and are recognised as some of the games best. Campo, Jonah & Habana are legend status.

I get that some of this is played driven - the players themselves see themselves as being suited elsewhere. But, IMO, premium wingers are worth their weight in gold.

I’d never normally say that out loud of course and, if challenged I’ll claim I was hacked, but I’m looking forward to seeing Daugunu & Vunivalu in partnership on the wings - hopefully for the next 5 years at least.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think we are sometimes a bit over keen to move our best wingers.

Guys like Campo, Tune, Jonah, Roff & Habana played the vast majority of their game on the wing and are recognised as some of the games best. Campo, Jonah & Habana are legend status.

I get that some of this is played driven - the players themselves see themselves as being suited elsewhere. But, IMO, premium wingers are worth their weight in gold.

I’d never normally say that out loud of course and, if challenged I’ll claim I was hacked, but I’m looking forward to seeing Daugunu & Vunivalu in partnership on the wings - hopefully for the next 5 years at least.
I agree. I’m not sure if it’s a carry over from League where wingers themselves are always keen to move to fullback where they’ll get paid more.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I agree. I’m not sure if it’s a carry over from League where wingers themselves are always keen to move to fullback where they’ll get paid more.

I think it is a carry-over of trying to get them involved more. Nothing sinister just wanting you most electric players getting the ball more

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
But that hasn’t really been a problem for top level wingers for some time. Generally they are most likely to get a roving commission and be allowed to attack across the field.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
But that hasn’t really been a problem for top level wingers for some time. Generally they are most likely to get a roving commission and be allowed to attack across the field.
Agree but it doesn't mean they do it. Koroibete is actually the best in years. That guy is everywhere.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
all future reds wingers should be forced to watch the 2011 "Short inside ball to Digby" highlights package for tips on injecting oneself.
Misnomer. Ioane would touch the ball a maximum of 10 time per game max. Daugunu/Koroibete touch it well more than that.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think Reds should look at some guys like Mack Mason and Shambeckler Vui for 2021, both players are Queenslanders and have loads of potential in their positions in which the reds are short, just haven’t had the right opportunities. Should come reasonably cheap as well given salary cap restrictions.

Maybe on Shambeckler. Is Mason what we need though? I genuinely believe we need a true play-making 10 not a distributor. We went through a long period of creating distributors - Jake, Stewart. It’s been a while since I saw Mack but a Reds pedigree from that period isn’t the first place I’d be looking.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m not sure I see the value in Mack either when we already have Hegarty. Unless he has significant potential above what I’ve seen.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think Vui has headed overseas but agree both would be worthy signings. Mac could be our long term 10 and give him some time under Jimmy McKay and a matter of fact no-nonsence coach in Thorn, things could work themselves out.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Without wanting to spruik the Shute Shield too much on a Reds thread, the Reds should look at Tane Edmend playing for 10 for Eastwood. The Tahs already have Harrison and Donaldson signed so Edmend is unlikely to get a contract with them. I know there are young 10s coming through the ranks in QLD like Carter Gordon but he's a seriously good young player and Australian rugby would benefit if he could land a Super contract in the next couple of years.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Carter Gordon and his brother have jumped shipped to the Rebels.

We try not to talk about it here as it involves he who shall not be named.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^ Tane was the NSW 1 starting 10 in 2018 at the national schools comp.

He unfortunately had Carter Gordon and Reesjan Pasitoa in front of him that year for Aussie Schoolboys , but he can definitely play.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
^ Tane was the NSW 1 starting 10 in 2018 at the national schools comp.

He unfortunately had Carter Gordon and Reesjan Pasitoa in front of him that year for Aussie Schoolboys , but he can definitely play.

That’s a bloody decent crop of 10’s for one age group

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I think Reds should look at some guys like Mack Mason and Shambeckler Vui for 2021, both players are Queenslanders and have loads of potential in their positions in which the reds are short, just haven’t had the right opportunities. Should come reasonably cheap as well given salary cap restrictions.
Mack Mason would be primo. There’s a lot to like about his game being a classic flyhalf. Thorns style of coaching would be right up his ally. Unfortunately the Waratahs didn’t know his value and was held back.

Reactions: dru