• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Wilso apparently came back from the Wallaby bubble a little on the "chunky" side.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) looking as fit as I've seen him.

However many kilos Wilso is over ASY (Angus Scott-Young) , I don't think they would be all that useful. ;)

Reactions: TSR

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Wilso apparently came back from the Wallaby bubble a little on the "chunky" side.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) looking as fit as I've seen him.

However many kilos Wilso is over ASY (Angus Scott-Young) , I don't think they would be all that useful. ;)
Wilson has the look of a fella with a cat funt inside him snuggling to get out.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
But if an internal trial tonight. Number 1 team seemed to be as expected. Somewhat.

15 Jock
14 Jordy
13 Hunter
12 Stewart
11 Daugunu
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
9 Tate

8 Wilson
7 McReight
6 ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
5 Blyth
4 Smith (I think)
3 Tupou
2 Mafi (BPA didn’t train but looked good)
1 Zander

Can’t take too much away from it other than Hegarty looked VERY sharp and JP looked like he was still in end of season Wallaby form.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
But if an internal trial tonight. Number 1 team seemed to be as expected. Somewhat.

15 Jock
14 Jordy
13 Hunter
12 Stewart
11 Daugunu
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
9 Tate

8 Wilson
7 McReight
5 Blyth
4 Smith (I think)
3 Tupou
1 Zander

Can’t take too much away from it other than Hegarty looked VERY sharp and JP looked like he was still in end of season Wallaby form.

I'm hoping that Petaia does not get pushed around in positions to become Hodge #2.

Who is 4. Smith? Is he better than 4. ASY (Angus Scott-Young)?

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

15 Jock
14 Jordy
13 Hunter
12 Stewart
11 Daugunu
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
9 Tate

8 Wilson
7 McReight
5 Blyth
4 Smith (I think)
3 Tupou
1 Zander

Any eyes on Hoopert?

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
This is the list of top school rugby and league players from 2020. As far as I can see we have Taj Annan and Floyd coming through which are rated 8 and 11 respectively. Are Andrew Romano and Zac Hough in the Reds Academy or are both heading back home to NSW maybe the Waratahs? We are light on with upcoming development players. Who are the players to keep a look out for in GPS this year?

Who were the top players in the The Langer Cup, GPS First XV and AIC First XV rugby (rating not position)
1. JACK HOWARTH (Brisbane Boys College) STORM
2. MASON GORDON (Brisbane Boys College) REBELS
3. TOM WEAVER (Palm Beach Currumbin SHS) LEAGUE
4. DAVE VAIHU (St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace) REBELS
5. XAVIER WILLISON (Palm Beach Currumbin SHS) LEAGUE
6. JO JO FIFITA (The Southport School) TITANS
7. JOHN BYRANT (St Laurence’s College) LEAGUE
8. TAJ ANNAN (Brisbane Boys College) REDS
9. JAHREAM BULA (Keebra Park SHS) LEAGUE
10. ANDREW ROMANO (Brisbane Boys College) ?
.11 . FLOYD AUBREY (Marist College Ashgrove) REDS
12. OSKAR BRYANT (PBC SHS) LEAGUE
13. ZAC HOUGH (Brisbane Boys College) ?
14. RYAN RIVETT (Palm Beach Currumbin SHS) LEAGUE
.15. KLESE HAAS (Keebra Park SHS) LEAGUE

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm hoping that Petaia does not get pushed around in positions to become Hodge #2.

Who is 4. Smith? Is he better than 4. ASY (Angus Scott-Young)?
Petaia has only really played 13 and 14 right?

Reds backline, injuries permitting, is looking rock solid. Hell if Vunivalu hit's his straps Petaia could be looking at a bench spot. Think he'll be taking whichever jersey he can atm.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Petaia has only really played 13 and 14 right?

Reds backline, injuries permitting, is looking rock solid. Hell if Vunivalu hit's his straps Petaia could be looking at a bench spot. Think he'll be taking whichever jersey he can atm.
At Super level yes , but played a lot of 15 as a junior and that is apparently still the position he prefers over 13 & 14.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Geez the tone has changed here a bit. A few months ago the suggestion that Petaia or Paisami might end up on the bench was rubbished, ‘you can’t do that they’re Wallabies!’. I don’t think we will get THE backline for a few weeks, lots of variables at play in the Reds team and blokes playing multiple positions. Let’s not forget JOC (James O'Connor) was flown into the Wallabies two years ago as a 13 and is currently the first picked 10. He could still be moved again.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Geez the tone has changed here a bit. A few months ago the suggestion that Petaia or Paisami might end up on the bench was rubbished, ‘you can’t do that they’re Wallabies!’. I don’t think we will get THE backline for a few weeks, lots of variables at play in the Reds team and blokes playing multiple positions. Let’s not forget JOC (James O'Connor) was flown into the Wallabies two years ago as a 13 and is currently the first picked 10. He could still be moved again.

Not by me. Always said they might be good enough for WBs but were unproven for the Reds. Different game plan, different incumbents.

Sensible money would be that they make it, but the likes of Stewart, Hegarty, Campbell - will all have something to say about it. As will, I expect, Thorn. For me, either Petaia or Paisami makes 13. The other to the bench. But won't be surprised if the coaches see otherwise.

Mike Bishop

Peter Burge (5)
This is the list of top school rugby and league players from 2020. As far as I can see we have Taj Annan and Floyd coming through which are rated 8 and 11 respectively. Are Andrew Romano and Zac Hough in the Reds Academy or are both heading back home to NSW maybe the Waratahs? We are light on with upcoming development players. Who are the players to keep a look out for in GPS this year?

Who were the top players in the The Langer Cup, GPS First XV and AIC First XV rugby (rating not position)

Most of these were as expected though looking at their schools. The only one I’d question would be John Bryant. I thought he was at Souths this year?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hail our new overlord - JOC (James O'Connor).

Wow.

Look, I fully understand that this is not JOC (James O'Connor) 2.01. It is JOC (James O'Connor) 3.32,548.

But it is an extraordinary turn around from drugged up dipstick to leadership. I dips me lid.

Take us forward, James.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
You've gotta judge a guy by what they do, on and off the field. What was done in the past is in the past, and on what he's done these last 12 months, I don't think there is anyone more deserving.
He's playing bloody good fotty, he's easily in the Wallabes XV probably for as many as 3 diffrent possitions. He's been very consistent for the Reds, he will at times take the team by the scruff of the neck and drag them towards where they need to be. He's a smart footballer, makes good decisions and never places blame on others. Honestly, I don't think there is anyone better for the role. Long term captain, I'd be a little nervious due to the off season mess involving the Chiefs, but for the season I love the move.

I actually would love to see him captain the Wallabies (wouldn't that be a story!), I think it's pretty obvious Rennie needs to go a different direction, Hooper isn't giving us anything postive as our Wallabies Captain, so why not pick a JO'C to lead the team for a year or so to then have some time for Rennie to figgure out who his man is (because if he want's to win then Hooper it is not).

manwithcaninhand

Peter Burge (5)

Pretty sure John Bryant has been training with the Reds Academy and will play rugby for Souths this year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You've gotta judge a guy by what they do, on and off the field. What was done in the past is in the past, and on what he's done these last 12 months, I don't think there is anyone more deserving.
He's playing bloody good fotty, he's easily in the Wallabes XV probably for as many as 3 diffrent possitions. He's been very consistent for the Reds, he will at times take the team by the scruff of the neck and drag them towards where they need to be. He's a smart footballer, makes good decisions and never places blame on others. Honestly, I don't think there is anyone better for the role. Long term captain, I'd be a little nervious due to the off season mess involving the Chiefs, but for the season I love the move.

I actually would love to see him captain the Wallabies (wouldn't that be a story!), I think it's pretty obvious Rennie needs to go a different direction, Hooper isn't giving us anything postive as our Wallabies Captain, so why not pick a JO'C to lead the team for a year or so to then have some time for Rennie to figgure out who his man is (because if he want's to win then Hooper it is not).

How about when he wanted to leave the Reds to play with a different team just a few months ago?

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I'm not sure that actually came from O'Connor, but I did not that as an issue for him as a long term captain, but regardless he's here for the year so why not use him.