• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
The commentators last night made reference to the lack of Stewart as the reason Vunivalu didn’t see more ball.

But, as has been pointed out on here, Stewart has hardly passed the ball in Super Rugby this year, instead being used as a crash ball runner/defensive stopper & breakdown body. I also note that Daugunu got plenty of ball last night - albeit partly because he Brumbies sent every kick off there. I do want to see us play more expansively to our backs given the strike power we have there, but that needs to be a collective effort across the group including Stewart, Paisami, Petaia & Campbell.

In the meantime I’m happy to just sit back and support whoever is on the field. Stewart has done his time in purgatory so hope he’ll be back in the mix soon but the one thing I think we can be confident in is that no one is going to get gifted a jersey.

On a related note I thought JOC (James O'Connor) was superb last night and rewarded Thorn’s faith in him.
Agree on all aspects. I probably would have been calling for Stewart if we lost.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah - I gotta say for me that’ll be an unpopular opinion because I think your wrong.

Uru has been great. Salakai-Loto is better and you’ll note that even though it was his first game last night he didn’t get taken off.

Edit: on that point I think Neville has been the form lock of Super Rugby and it was notable last night that LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) seemed on a personal mission to nullify him. Was instrumental in the Reds still being there at the end (even though I still though Neville went well).

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Uru has a great running game which is a big benefit late in the game. But against teams with formidable tight work Salakai-Loto is crucial

Reactions: TSR

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
So who's got Stewart coming back in after it looked like the Reds backs defense was a bit exposed and both Hunter & Jordie were very quiet aside from their match winning try? I feel like after that match we just have more questions over who our best backline is.

I'd have Uru starting at 6 and probably ASY (Angus Scott-Young) to close out the game as he can cover 6/7/8. Also Anyone feel like McReight is due a big game? The dude was playing out of his skin last year and hasn't quite been up to those lofty standards yet this year. Otherwise IMO forwards say more or less as they are LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/Blyth and then Uru/McReight/Wilson. But I wouldn't mind some tall timber pushing for contention via the bench - Ryan Smith could step up?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So who's got Stewart coming back in after it looked like the Reds backs defense was a bit exposed and both Hunter & Jordie were very quiet aside from their match winning try? I feel like after that match we just have more questions over who our best backline is.

I'd have Uru starting at 6 and probably ASY (Angus Scott-Young) to close out the game as he can cover 6/7/8. Also Anyone feel like McReight is due a big game? The dude was playing out of his skin last year and hasn't quite been up to those lofty standards yet this year. Otherwise IMO forwards say more or less as they are LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/Blyth and then Uru/McReight/Wilson. But I wouldn't mind some tall timber pushing for contention via the bench - Ryan Smith could step up?

I don’t think missing Stewart had much to do with how things panned out. The loose forwards (+Uru) have previously made plenty of m giving space for the halves. This game they were largely contained so JOC (James O'Connor) was (deeper than normal deep) and the centre’s we’re working in more traffic than normal.

I would think Stewart will enter the rotation but that Paisami is a starter between 12 and 13.

Agree on Uru, as much ch as I like ASY (Angus Scott-Young) I’d be giving Uru a start at 6 at some point.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I know we need his height , but Blyth has been a little underwhelming and his dumb/soft penalty tally must be leading the comp.

Think Uru is more likely to replace Blyth than any of the other back five if you take it purely on form.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The commentators last night made reference to the lack of Stewart as the reason Vunivalu didn’t see more ball.

But, as has been pointed out on here, Stewart has hardly passed the ball in Super Rugby this year, instead being used as a crash ball runner/defensive stopper & breakdown body. I also note that Daugunu got plenty of ball last night - albeit partly because he Brumbies sent every kick off there. I do want to see us play more expansively to our backs given the strike power we have there, but that needs to be a collective effort across the group including Stewart, Paisami, Petaia & Campbell.

In the meantime I’m happy to just sit back and support whoever is on the field. Stewart has done his time in purgatory so hope he’ll be back in the mix soon but the one thing I think we can be confident in is that no one is going to get gifted a jersey.

On a related note I thought JOC (James O'Connor) was superb last night and rewarded Thorn’s faith in him.

The ball got to the wings when Stewart played, he may not have passed the ball to them, but maybe his positioning and other work allowed the ball to get to the wings?

I am at the point where I am not too fussed by who plays where, I just want people who dont drop the ball all the time.

Once we can maintain a grip on the ball we will be awesome to watch and capable of doing what the Brumbies did to the Tahs.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It’s easy to forget that Petaia is only 20 years old, he is the youngest guy in a team full of young kids.

Edit; turned 21 today.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It’s easy to forget that Petaia is only 20 years old, he is the youngest guy in a team full of young kids.

Edit; turned 21 today.

I was looking at the 2011 Reds team. I don't think these guys can use "young" as an excuse, which they are not. But I don't think it unreasonable for the fans to expect more than "youth" caveats either.

It is time for Petaia to perform. He has everything he needs. Training. Secure squad. Fabulous team. Opportunity. Natural gifts. Time for him to pull it together.

We'll all be there behind him as he does.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I was looking at the 2011 Reds team. I don't think these guys can use "young" as an excuse, which they are not. But I don't think it unreasonable for the fans to expect more than "youth" caveats either.

It is time for Petaia to perform. He has everything he needs. Training. Secure squad. Fabulous team. Opportunity. Natural gifts. Time for him to pull it together.

An injury free run would be handy

Reactions: dru

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I think you're being a little harsh there Dru. I agree Jordy could do better. But the bloke has gone through a lot in the last 12 months especially with losing his father last year.

But, to give you some context, using 2011, the major linchpins of our success in Genia and Cooper were 23 at the time. The only players younger than them in the team that ran out in the final was Tapuai (22) and Gill (19 and from the bench).

If you want even more context, with Jordy P now being 21, Quade was getting caught up with that stolen laptop business.

With the talent around him in JOC (James O'Connor), Tate, Daugunu, Hunter and Suni, there is no need to Jordy to overplay and should just focus on getting through more games and learning when and where he can inject himself.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Dru not making excuses, just observing how young Petaia is, something I forget given how long he has been in the system

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Having seen Petaia play since he was a schoolboy, think the issue is how easy it was for him as a junior and how little time he has had on the rugby field since finishing school.

He was seriously dominant as a schoolboy, could do whatever he wanted. Hasn’t yet had enough time playing against similarly talented opposition to develop game intelligence that is required to play consistently well against good opposition.

He has been in the Wallaby system now for a couple of years , but just hasn’t had enough game time.

Really hope he gets a decent run at developing what is an amazing talent .

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He's just a little out of form. Pushing a few passes and things. Working back into form from the wing or bench shouldn't be much of an issue.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think you're being a little harsh there Dru. I agree Jordy could do better. But the bloke has gone through a lot in the last 12 months.

Some very interesting context there Ignoto, I appreciate. But I actually think I'm being supportive of the bloke.

An injury free run would be handy

Ah, now. There's a thing. Absolutely TSR. Cross fingers for the bloke in 2021.

Dru not making excuses, just observing how young Petaia is, something I forget given how long he has been in the system

Adam, I wasn't really thinking you were making excuses, though it was your post that I was responding to. Well that and my revisiting the 2011 Reds. Petaia is young. And highly talented. I'm not dissing the guy at all. Though I am saying "OK bloke, this is it, we're with you, let's go."

He's just a little out of form. Pushing a few passes and things. Working back into form from the wing or bench shouldn't be much of an issue.

I'm with you Derpus.