• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I actually think Vunivalu will be an asset in 2022 based on what we've seen. We haven't seen enough of him with ball in hand but I like the NRL like tactics of kicking to his wing.

If that tactic keeps working, teams will need to adjust their defensive strategy. That means more space out wide for a dynamic runner like Paisami to take advantage of wingers dropping back to cover.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I like it!
We’re paying big bucks for a developing rugby player. Those bucks could have bought us a prop, a hooker and a bench half back.

We don't need another bench half back, I'm OK with our development of props internally (Thank you Cameron), and we have decent Hookers. One that could throw would be nice but perhaps develop rather than buy.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
We don't need another bench half back, I'm OK with our development of props internally (Thank you Cameron), and we have decent Hookers. One that could throw would be nice but perhaps develop rather than buy.
All for the development, but just saying what good dollars buy.
Talking half backs, there’s a young lad Louis Werchon who’s started with Brothers this year who has it over Thomas. Bench for Prems and pretty impressive. I’d be looking at him moving forward. He was away last week with Junior Wallabies.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Talking half backs, there’s a young lad Louis Werchon who’s started with Brothers this year who has it over Thomas. Bench for Prems and pretty impressive. I’d be looking at him moving forward. He was away last week with Junior Wallabies.

Or we could build Vunivalu from a base that threatens to meet world standard before we start. Give the bloke more time.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
There’s a lot of 9’s playing prems that have it over Thomas. Unfortunately for them they never got the easy run.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I actually think Vunivalu will be an asset in 2022 based on what we've seen. We haven't seen enough of him with ball in hand but I like the NRL like tactics of kicking to his wing.

If that tactic keeps working, teams will need to adjust their defensive strategy. That means more space out wide for a dynamic runner like Paisami to take advantage of wingers dropping back to cover.
If you guys don’t want him we will happily take him.

Reactions: dru

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Have you been personally victimised by Vunivalu? You’re making it sound like the bloke has been signed from the Dalby Under 8s and needs to learn how to tie his shoe laces.
Not personally victimised but possibly the Reds bank account victimised if the investment doesn’t prove its dividends by the end of the TT. He might just get the hang of the game by then, and prove to be our real life Koroibete. Hats off and glasses up.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Not personally victimised but possibly the Reds bank account victimised if the investment doesn’t prove its dividends by the end of the TT. He might just get the hang of the game by then, and prove to be our real life Koroibete. Hats off and glasses up.

What do you want from a winger at this level?

Koroibete has not scored a try all season, and Vunivalu has two from one match of TT.

I realise that there is more to being a winger that just scoring tries, but it is a pretty good starting point.

Vunivalu is historically the equal highest try scorer in Trans Tasman history:D, what more can he do!!! https://super.rugby/superrugby/competition-stats/

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Literally just put on Stan to watch the Blues vs Rebels, so can’t answer that yet, other than the Vinu was gifted two balls at the try line by two precision kicks, against shorter opponents. Maybe that’s his calling if the rest of the team can defend and pass.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Literally just put on Stan to watch the Blues vs Rebels, so can’t answer that yet, other than the Vinu was gifted two balls at the try line by two precision kicks, against shorter opponents. Maybe that’s his calling if the rest of the team can defend and pass.

Vunu gifted tries? Not sure what that means. Intentional and targeted kick to a known kick receipt over the goal line?

OK we agree then.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

he is tackling at 90% and has two try assists.