• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Good for him.

Hasn’t he been kicking around mostly in reserve grade

I have seen him named in a couple of brothers premier lineups … But can’t fault the kid for using the QPR as a stepping stone. Especially when there’s other front row options ahead of him at the filth.
In fairness to Vella , he has Hoopert ahead of him at LHP at Brothers. The Reds would have asked for game time out of Hoopert in QPR, so Vella’s progress somewhat blocked there.

The young prop running around in QPR that has been a massive improver this year is Alex Davies from UQ. His work around the park has always been good , but his scrummaging has improved out of sight this year. Got the better of both Ruan Smith and Zane Nonggorr so far during the season and held his own against a very dominant GPS scrum last weekend.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
In fairness to Vella , he has Hoopert ahead of him at LHP at Brothers. The Reds would have asked for game time out of Hoopert in QPR, so Vella’s progress somewhat blocked there.

The young prop running around in QPR that has been a massive improver this year is Alex Davies from UQ. His work around the park has always been good , but his scrummaging has improved out of sight this year. Got the better of both Ruan Smith and Zane Nonggorr so far during the season and held his own against a very dominant GPS scrum last weekend.
I think it is great we have now 5 sides so more pathway opportunities for the players like vella. Sounds like Alex Davies could be a target for other super rugby clubs looking to build front row depth..

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Vella has been immense for Nudgee, Queensland and Aus 18’s. Just getting into the groove at Brothers. I get why he’s taking the opportunity but I still don’t like these guys leaving Queensland. Brumbies is the ideal place for his development. I think the decision to repeat year 12 may have put him a year behind, and we will see him in a Wallaby jersey at some point. Real good kid that has great leadership attributes.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Vella has been immense for Nudgee, Queensland and Aus 18’s. Just getting into the groove at Brothers. I get why he’s taking the opportunity but I still don’t like these guys leaving Queensland. Brumbies is the ideal place for his development. I think the decision to repeat year 12 may have put him a year behind, and we will see him in a Wallaby jersey at some point. Real good kid that has great leadership attributes.

It would be nice if we could keep him, but I think in some cases moving away from family/friends/distractions allows for faster development of a player if he has the right state of mind and does not get homesick.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Even Asiati came in late ahead of Vella.

Brumbies have Sio and Slipper until end of 2022 so there will be a questions mark if only one goes through to WC.

Harry Lloyd is the 3rd string LHP at Brumbies atm, with Fred Kaihea as the development LHP.

Not sure where Vella fits in for the Brumbies in 2022 but they are obviously making some allowance for him whereas Reds have Fotuaika, Hoopert, Zander and Asiati all hanging around atm

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Heading Hanson is keen to come back to Brisbane. With BPA off over seas he’d be a good option. A better back up option than Nasser at the moment.

Would be a very solid replacement, but on the evidence of last night I think we're going to really miss BPA for several reasons;
- His lineout work has been solid, seems to always be starting when our scrum is going forward
- Makes some really important defensive plays e.g later phase turnovers against a kiwi team when their attack has us under pressure
- Is very good from 1-2 metres out, often scores from the pick and go with his nose scraping the grass
- Seems to be a key guy to bring the energy and the good vibes. Whenever you see vision of the Red in the sheds, going hands in or singing the team song BPA always seems to be front and centre, in the thick of it screaming his head off

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
Any thoughts on who we could get as a back up scrum half to Tate, very thin on the ground ATM. I haven’t really seen anything of Moses so just not sure where his form at. Any good prospects at QPR level?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Any thoughts on who we could get as a back up scrum half to Tate, very thin on the ground ATM. I haven’t really seen anything of Moses so just not sure where his form at. Any good prospects at QPR level?
Sorovi has actually been playing well in QPR and Thomas wasn’t overly impressive in his one outing for UQ this year , in fairness to him though it was a very scrappy game against Souths where UQ had their one below par performance so far this season.

Thomas should really be learning his trade in QPR, Super Rugby is too big a step up at the moment, think most people see his potential, but he is a season or two off being up for Super Rugby.

In terms of who else is QPR, the two leading candidates unfortunately are out injured at the moment in Ely Pilz from Easts and Liam Dillon from Bond. Both are significant injuries.

Mosiah Christian is killing it at the moment. Bigger body than most 9’s , has a good running game and is very solid defensively. He also plays for UQ though . What are the chances of having three 9’s signed to the Reds all from the one club?

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Does anyone have an inkling where Taj Annan would end up playing? Is he a 15, 10 or 12? Hes a pretty big unit for a kid so 12 seems possible. Isaac henry might be the real deal as well. On this forum i have read hes an excellent kicker, and he showed plenty on attack and d on the weekend. Seems a pretty complete package

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I don't think we need to go out and sign another halfback. Between Tate, Moses and Thomas, there's enough coverage there.

With Willy G being in Brisbane for a little bit, hopefully Matt Taylor can get Will down and work with Thomas, just like Will did for Tate as it paid off big time for Tate.

A Mafi and Hanson hooking combination would be great with BPA departing, hopefully that happens and Chibs has always been solid.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
Agree regarding Serovi , hard see how he isn’t wearing the #21 jersey on match days.
Politics and a good manager. I’m more interested to see if he even gets a start with UQ. If you watch the game he played for UQ this year you kind of felt that the players weren’t happy to have him there. Earn your keep first.