• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Seems like our backrow and locks have some good depth. What is the general thoughts on the front row and backs? Tate will have benefited from the Wallaby tour and seems like a player who lifts, is O'Connor still our best option at 10 and who should be the back up? We seem to have options on the wings but what is the centre combination and who would you start at fullback? Is anyone not available at the moment due to injury or vaccination status? Seeing how the BBL and A League teams are being hit with infections when their season is on, and then the NRL teams being ravaged in training with positive cases how are the Reds going?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Tate & JOC (James O'Connor) clearly our best halves IMO. I know a lot of people were critical on JOC (James O'Connor) on the EOYT, and not without reason, but he was excellent last Super AU. He is still a very good player. Probably not a playmaking in the traditional sense, but skilful and good vision. Seems to have developed a habit of playing too deep, too often which is weird because he is at his best when he is direct with runners working off him.

For mine, I would rather see Paisami at 13 which I still think is his best spot, with either Henry or Stewart at 12. Any three of Daugunu, Vunivalu, Petaia and Campbell in the back three. Happy to back the coaching staff of what they see as the best fit there. Whoever is left out of Henry/Stewart + the leftover from the back 3 selection on the bench.

Last edited:

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Tate & JOC (James O'Connor) clearly our best halves IMO. I know a lot of people were critical on JOC (James O'Connor) on the EOYT, and not without reason, but he was excellent last Super AU. He is still a very good player. Probably not a playmaking in the traditional sense, but skilful and good vision. Seems to have developed a habit of playing too deep, too often which is weird because he is at his best when he is direct with runners working off him.

For mine, I would rather see Paisami at 13 which I still think is his best spot, with either Henry or Stewart at 12. Any three of Daugunu, Vunivalu, Petaia and Campbell in the back three. Happy to back the coaching staff of what they see as the best fit there. Whoever is left out of Henry/Stewart + the leftover from the back 3 selection on the bench.
We have good depth in our backs. McDermott and JOC (James O'Connor) the obvious best halves combination. Where Petaia is positioned will be key, with the mounting curiosity over him having the skills be able to play fullback. Until we see this, the strongest backs starting team:
9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Vunivalu
12. Paisami
13. Petaia
14. Daugunu
15. Campbell

21. Thomas / Jeans
22. Stewart / Henry / Flook / Creighton
23. Grealy / Droasese

How is the Lynagh lad going?

The front row have some solid developing players and with their second year in I think we’ll see some notable improvement with Nonggorr and Zander.
Pretty damn happy with the players we have and in comparison to the other teams we should have the AU comp locked up.

Last edited:
Reactions: TSR

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hearing some very positive reviews on Lynagh. Can run a backline (at least in training). He has grown too and doesn’t look the schoolboy he was when he arrived. Still he hasn’t played a game for a couple of years so prem rugby likely his domain for a while.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah great to have the internal competition for spots , good options and depth in back row , midfield and outside backs. The trick will be keeping them all.

Guess the concern is the lack of depth in the front row and at 10. Locks are sound , particularly if Blyth rips in .

Overall coming along well

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Has been mentioned already but here's a source for the players out with covid or as close contacts:

Looks like there's only 3 still positive and they're expected back in the next couple of days, along with the wallabies players next week. Not ideal for preparation, but the administration should now be in absolutely no doubt of the potential impact covid can have this year, hopefully that means they'll be as prepared as possible for any in season events.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
F45 new sponsor for the Rebels. Maybe Dallan can pull some strings and also get them to sponsor the Reds.
Good pick up for the Rebels, but I wouldn't be too comfortable with us having them as a major sponsor as well. Nothing to do with the company, I just don't want to see multiple teams in Australia covered by the same major sponsor, particularly at the moment.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Reds have been on the market for a major sponsor since July last year, they’re either getting close or asking too much $$

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Good pick up for the Rebels, but I wouldn't be too comfortable with us having them as a major sponsor as well. Nothing to do with the company, I just don't want to see multiple teams in Australia covered by the same major sponsor, particularly at the moment.
Better than nothing.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
QRU don't have a great track record is securing team sponsors in recent years. Didn't the Brisbane City NRC team go sponsor less for the first few games and then secure the sponsorship with a law firm in exchange for them running the after game bbq.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
QRU don't have a great track record is securing team sponsors in recent years. Didn't the Brisbane City NRC team go sponsor less for the first few games and then secure the sponsorship with a law firm in exchange for them running the after game bbq.

they’ve had the longest term, (highest value?) team sponsor for the last decade….

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It's been up and down, but given the current situation the whole sponsorship package they've secured is pretty bloody good - the alliance airlines sponsorship last year was a great pick up beyond just money.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah, well that’s where the concern is. Decent sponsors will seek their opportunities rather than being coerced. If an organisation doesn’t have the enqiry or potential investors fighting over the top sponsorship position then then value is questionable. Rather than trying to sell a single $500,000 to $1M major sponsor package, offer multiple at a lesser value, and make sure your marketing team are all over it prove the sponsors investment. It’s more embarrassing for an organisation to switch a major sponsor every few years than switch out a couple of premium sponsors over the years.

How do you know they aren’t negotiating with multiple parties?

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hearing some very positive reviews on Lynagh. Can run a backline (at least in training). He has grown too and doesn’t look the schoolboy he was when he arrived. Still he hasn’t played a game for a couple of years so prem rugby likely his domain for a while.
2 or 3 months ago the word was that he had requested to start off playing Colts - which I think is a pretty smart move. Takes the pressure off and lets him find his feet and ease his way into the scene.