• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
doesn't look like a scrummaging session to me.......
An old coach of mine had us train in mouthguards every session, the theory being, train the way you play, your breathing is obstructed during a game so simulate those conditions at training.

My comment re Zanders boots was lighthearted, but at the same time, if he’s going to be wearing heavier cleats around the paddock with long longer studs in a game, I reckon using them during training would be beneficial (marginally, these days boots are all the same I guess).

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
An old coach of mine had us train in mouthguards every session, the theory being, train the way you play, your breathing is obstructed during a game so simulate those conditions at training.

My comment re Zanders boots was lighthearted, but at the same time, if he’s going to be wearing heavier cleats around the paddock with long longer studs in a game, I reckon using them during training would be beneficial (marginally, these days boots are all the same I guess).

I agree and disagree, there's a time and place where near match conditions need to be simulated as close to as possible, and other times where they don't. You don't have to wear boots if lifting weights or doing sprints and agility, at certain times any extra toughness/familiary is offset by increased risk of injury.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I’m going to back the super rugby winning coach and player rather than the internet rando, on this one.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Has anyone seen this before?

Non-genuine Reds gear for sale, I wonder how they can get away with it, surely the Reds would trademark world wide to protect their products?

On another note, I see that genuine Reds jerseys are $150 on the Reds site, from memory they were about $170 last year, would they be cheaper without a sponsor?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

Wouldn't you use the shortest and lightest boots that you can get away with in any given situation?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Has anyone seen this before?

Non-genuine Reds gear for sale, I wonder how they can get away with it, surely the Reds would trademark world wide to protect their products?

On another note, I see that genuine Reds jerseys are $150 on the Reds site, from memory they were about $170 last year, would they be cheaper without a sponsor?
Ever heard of Ali Baba/Ali Express? They’ve been selling Asian ripoffs of all major sporting teams for 20 years. The Reds should feel lucky to have themselves worth ripping off.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’d pay more for it to be free of sponsorship but don’t like the polyester match day jerseys, for starters they’re too slim cut for me and I don’t like the texture either.

I’d prefer the traditional style cotton variant that comes with a proper collar.

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I agree Adam. Having said that I know I had two pairs of boots because my playing boots took a much bigger toll on my feet and ankles. Even allowing for the fact these guys are wearing much better quality of boots then me I would assume that would be even more pronounced at the level these guys train. Personally I would have been more surprised if they did wear their game boots for their field sessions.

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Changing topics I’d be interested on people’s views on our backrow and how we think things will play out.

Firstly, let me say, I though McReight and Scott-Young were outstanding last year and two of our very best. Having said that Wright is such a good player - hard to see him being left out - even before allowing for the fact that he is Captain.

One solution is for Wright to play 6 and Scott-Young to play in the row, but I just felt like when we tried that last year we lacked a bit of punch. Personally I’d prefer either Blyth or Smith kick on this year and give us some more muscle in the row.

I do wonder if our best balanced row might be 6. Uru 7. Wright 8. Wilson. Yes, that leaves out McReight and I expect most will see that as crazy. Fair enough. I get that but my rationale is that Uru brings a dynamic to our backrow that none of our others offer and would add a dimension to our pack we don’t currently have. Of course, we could well lose more than we gain.

Anyway - it’s January. Perfect time for crazy, untested ideas to be thrown up. Interested in others thoughts.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sorry Reg, should we stop giving our opinions on this internet chat forum or?? Not much else to discuss at the moment…
Opinions are fine. An assertion that you know better then a professional athlete is quite laughable though

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Changing topics I’d be interested on people’s views on our backrow and how we think things will play out.

Firstly, let me say, I though McReight and Scott-Young were outstanding last year and two of our very best. Having said that Wright is such a good player - hard to see him being left out - even before allowing for the fact that he is Captain.

One solution is for Wright to play 6 and Scott-Young to play in the row, but I just felt like when we tried that last year we lacked a bit of punch. Personally I’d prefer either Blyth or Smith kick on this year and give us some more muscle in the row.

I do wonder if our best balanced row might be 6. Uru 7. Wright 8. Wilson. Yes, that leaves out McReight and I expect most will see that as crazy. Fair enough. I get that but my rationale is that Uru brings a dynamic to our backrow that none of our others offer and would add a dimension to our pack we don’t currently have. Of course, we could well lose more than we gain.

Anyway - it’s January. Perfect time for crazy, untested ideas to be thrown up. Interested in others thoughts.

Im an unabashed Wright fan but he struggled last year after injury. If he can get back to 2020 form then great.
I’d start:

8 Wilson
7 McReight
6 Wright
5 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
4 Smith

with ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Uru on the bench.