• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
From https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ra-plots-massive-reforms-20211208-p59fte.html

"They are plotting a wholesale centralisation of high performance, streamlining coaching and athletic development roles, ending the warehousing of players in the major nurseries of NSW and Queensland, and centralising the contracting of players.

It will require approval by a vote of all member unions, a stumbling block that could yet scupper the reforms with Queensland and NSW holding the majority of votes."

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
From https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ra-plots-massive-reforms-20211208-p59fte.html

"They are plotting a wholesale centralisation of high performance, streamlining coaching and athletic development roles, ending the warehousing of players in the major nurseries of NSW and Queensland, and centralising the contracting of players.

It will require approval by a vote of all member unions, a stumbling block that could yet scupper the reforms with Queensland and NSW holding the majority of votes."
Why do QLD and NSW hold majority of the votes? I would have thought 5 Super Rugby votes and potentially 2 ARU votes.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Why do QLD and NSW hold majority of the votes? I would have thought 5 Super Rugby votes and potentially 2 ARU votes.
That claim may be out of date. although it might rely on what kind of majority is required to vote through the changes.

QRU + Reds have 3 votes and NSWRU + Tahs have 3 votes = 6 of the 16 available votes.

each state union gets 1 vote
each Super Rugby team gets 1 vote
and unions with over 50,000 players get an extra vote - currently only QLD and NSW meet that threshold.

But if this needs a super majority or something similar - they could still be a blocker.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
That claim may be out of date. although it might rely on what kind of majority is required to vote through the changes.

QRU + Reds have 3 votes and NSWRU + Tahs have 3 votes = 6 of the 16 available votes.

each state union gets 1 vote
each Super Rugby team gets 1 vote
and unions with over 50,000 players get an extra vote - currently only QLD and NSW meet that threshold.

But if this needs a super majority or something similar - they could still be a blocker.
Centralisation and privatisation both come with their advantages and disadvantages. Would I be correct in asserting that the current board/management at ARU are making better decisions than their previous counterparts over the past 15 years? Centralisation is a structure for growth and privatisation is a structure of proven growth and confidence. Interested in other people’s views…

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Paisami has re-signed until 2023 by the sounds of it

Key signing for the Reds and RA.

Depending what RA do about international players, JOC (James O'Connor) and Paisami will be the safest 10/12 option going forward to next RWC, assuming of course they stay healthy and hold their form.

I feel a lot of criticism got heaped onto them both once Quade and Kerevi left the team, but hopefully they can have a great 2022 for the Reds and prove why they were the best mid-field option for the Wallabies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It’s just whether he’ll be 12.

if he is then our 13 options are basically Flook and Petaia, who we’ve been told may well be fullback.

If Hunter plays 13 then that opens up 12 for Henry or Stewart. Which is probably my preference.

Well my actually preference is that Jordy realises he’s an awesome 13 and just stays there and kills it. Not convinced that will happen though.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yes good points. I have a feeling Thorn might want to keep Paisami at 12 though and keep working on his distribution game.

Not many great backup 10 options if JOC (James O'Connor) goes down with injury. Keeping Paisami closer to first receiver probably gives the a team a bit more confidence if Lynagh needs to take the reigns or Stewart.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Key signing for the Reds and RA.

Depending what RA do about international players, JOC (James O'Connor) and Paisami will be the safest 10/12 option going forward to next RWC, assuming of course they stay healthy and hold their form.

I feel a lot of criticism got heaped onto them both once Quade and Kerevi left the team, but hopefully they can have a great 2022 for the Reds and prove why they were the best mid-field option for the Wallabies.
They were the best combination in SRAu and SRTT 2021. Paisami remained the best Wallaby No 12 option after Kerevi left, and his form in the last two tests was excellent.

JOC (James O'Connor), on the other hand, did not play to his Super Rugby standard after he came back from injury. His form in the tests leaves his spot open to competition. Shame really that we have so few No 10 options.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
They were the best combination in SRAu and SRTT 2021. Paisami remained the best Wallaby No 12 option after Kerevi left, and his form in the last two tests was excellent.

JOC (James O'Connor), on the other hand, did not play to his Super Rugby standard after he came back from injury. His form in the tests leaves his spot open to competition. Shame really that we have so few No 10 options.
Absolutely, but you can't right off JOC (James O'Connor) completely based off a handful of average games at the back end of a largely uninspiring tour. His form in those games was still better than the slop Quade was throwing around before he left Australian shores, and now he's back to being the messiah.

I don't think anyone in the backline really has a cemented spot unless their part of the Special K trio, Kerevi, Kellaway or Korobiete, and the availability of 2 of those blokes is unknown.

It will all come down to form in 2022 Super Rugby for JOC (James O'Connor). If the Reds do well again, and he stays healthy, I still think he's got the inside run for selection.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I wish Hunter was a few kilos heavier.
I think most of us wish we were a few kilo’s lighter, me included.

But on a serious note Hunter is a pocket rocket for his height / weight and I think he has proved he is fine as he is as very cut / muscular player like Perese. He will just never be a Kerevi size wise and hence will be different style of player, but still very effective.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Oh and Tom Lynagh doesn’t look like a schoolboy anymore. Not a giant but comparable to Mac Grealy if not a little bigger. Have heard good things about his field work too. Not hyping him up to be the saviour next year but it will good to watch him play Prem Rugby.