• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I'm not so sure.

The Reds were easily the most 'fragile' of the three franchises during that time (04/05/06).

The Brumbies were coming off a competition win in 2004, the Tahs made the final in 2005. Both clubs were very much in a happy place with coaches who were well respected. The Reds on the other hand had finished in the bottom half of the competition pretty much every year from 2003 with a fair bit of player movement. They were definitely ripe for targeting.
Heard it on "the breakdown" podcast about how Rugby lost its way in Australia

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Heard it on "the breakdown" podcast about how Rugby lost its way in Australia

Oh yeh I'm not disputing that it would have made things easier.

Was more a general comment that the Brumbies and Tahs seemed to have their houses in order around that time. Harder to breakup a winning formula. The Reds on the other hand were cellar dwellers, an opportunity for more money and a new opportunity would have been more appealing to their players.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I wonder if the sponsorship is for the entire calendar year?

Would the Reds be able to release a Jersey with a new sponsor before the end of the year and not breach the contract, especially if St George are remaining in a lesser form?

2022 jersey released and no primary sponsor at this stage, which isn’t great news. Good news if you want a clean jersey though.

Im not sure about the gold trim.
59FB2747-28D9-4EA5-B9F1-333EED3C0877.jpeg

C53E12DF-D938-4A1F-8BD5-DB2905E6B0B3.jpeg

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think it's a great jersey, but you're right about that primary sponsor being a worry. At least we appear to have built up a really strong list of sponsors below that, hopefully they have something big in the works to cap it off.
Would have thought reds would be in better position for primary sponsor. How much does primary sponsorship attract?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I’ll throw this into the off-season rumour mill, this is all pure speculation on my part so please don’t take it with any seriousness.

A mate saw Thorn and Wayne Bennett having a passing chat at a cafe in Red Hill the other morning. Nothing unusual with that, Thorn lives in the area.

It got me thinking though, Thorn has always been a high achiever across codes. Wouldn’t be a bad spot for him to sit under Wayne at the Dolphins for a few years and then takeover, similar to what Demetriou has done at South’s. He could become the first HC to win Premierships in the NRL and Super Rugby, a trend similar to his playing career.

I honestly don’t think the Wallabies gig is on the horizon for Thorn, he doesn’t have the technical nuance. He came into the Reds setup with a S&C background and that translates to any code. I’m also not opposed to coaches transitioning out of clubs after a period of time, it freshens things up, assuming there is a capable replacement.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Would have thought reds would be in better position for primary sponsor. How much does primary sponsorship attract?
It’s not so much the demand, but whether the asking price is too high.

it’s hard to know, but I’d say the asking price has gone up a bit with the addition of FTA and the championship last year. Maybe they’re asking for too much.

Also these days you have to consider the ethics of the sponsors you’re attracting, already they have Santos and Rio as major sponsors, some brands may not want to be associated with them.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I’ll throw this into the off-season rumour mill, this is all pure speculation on my part so please don’t take it with any seriousness.

A mate saw Thorn and Wayne Bennett having a passing chat at a cafe in Red Hill the other morning. Nothing unusual with that, Thorn lives in the area.

It got me thinking though, Thorn has always been a high achiever across codes. Wouldn’t be a bad spot for him to sit under Wayne at the Dolphins for a few years and then takeover, similar to what Demetriou has done at South’s. He could become the first HC to win Premierships in the NRL and Super Rugby, a trend similar to his playing career.

I honestly don’t think the Wallabies gig is on the horizon for Thorn, he doesn’t have the technical nuance. He came into the Reds setup with a S&C background and that translates to any code. I’m also not opposed to coaches transitioning out of clubs after a period of time, it freshens things up, assuming there is a capable replacement.
Thorne seems to have done amazing things from an organisational perspective. I can see a more technically nuanced coach sitting under him, with Thorne in a director role.

Losing him at this point would be a huge blow IMO.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

maybe but that’s an ambitious 5 year plan as Thorn is signed at the Reds until 2023, I also doubt Bennet will still be coaching in 2025 and don't think they would look to throw someone like Thorn into the hot seat of a new club after only one season back in the game.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
maybe but that’s an ambitious 5 year plan as Thorn is signed at the Reds until 2023, I also doubt Bennet will still be coaching in 2025 and don't think they would look to throw someone like Thorn into the hot seat of a new club after only one season back in the game.
Yes true the timing is probably too tight. I assume Bennett will have someone under him from 2023 who is a clear favourite to take the reigns once he retires/moves to coaching director role.

Thorne seems to have done amazing things from an organisational perspective. I can see a more technically nuanced coach sitting under him, with Thorne in a director role.

Losing him at this point would be a huge blow IMO.

I definitely don't want to lose him at the Reds, but at the same time, I think he's instilled a strong culture at the club and through the current ranks that would go beyond his tenure with the club. He's about building work ethic and those values stick with players long term.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Could just be related to this coaching clinic

Beat me to it. Let's drop the conspiracy theories. All the best for the Dolphins btw, might even have me taking a passing interest in mungo when they start.

But honestly Thorn and Bennet have a long history and if they are chatting about coaching I don't see that as anything other than a good thing.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Beat me to it. Let's drop the conspiracy theories. All the best for the Dolphins btw, might even have me taking a passing interest in mungo when they start.

But honestly Thorn and Bennet have a long history and if they are chatting about coaching I don't see that as anything other than a good thing.

No conspiracy theories here - I literally prefaced my post by saying it was pure speculation on my behalf and take it with a grain of salt.

Thought it was an interesting talking point to keep people chatting during the off-season seeing as we are three months away from playing any rugby. Apologies I'll reign it in from now on.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
No conspiracy theories here - I literally prefaced my post by saying it was pure speculation on my behalf and take it with a grain of salt.

Thought it was an interesting talking point to keep people chatting during the off-season seeing as we are three months away from playing any rugby. Apologies I'll reign it in from now on.
Nothing wrong with a bit of speculation…alas you say not much else to talk about now…

I would not discount thorne considering coaching league in the future though. As would be another feather in his bow to be both dual intentional and dual professional coach in union and league and I imagine would be another challenge that might be attractive to him. Personally hope he is not interested in coaching league but as others pointed out other challenges like wallabies coach unlikely to be options for him.

I would be surprised though if he left union too early though.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Is there one or two trial games coming up? Can anyone come along?
The stock at lock and backrow is solid. Ryan Smith consistently got better as last season progressed. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) lost his mojo for awhile and apparently training up a storm. Blyth was pushed to the side and wondering if that was more of an attitude rehabilitation. The race will be on between Wright, Wilson, McReight, Scott-Young, and Uru. I think Wilson will come out with all guns blazing to prove himself this season.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Is there one or two trial games coming up? Can anyone come along?
The stock at lock and backrow is solid. Ryan Smith consistently got better as last season progressed. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) lost his mojo for awhile and apparently training up a storm. Blyth was pushed to the side and wondering if that was more of an attitude rehabilitation. The race will be on between Wright, Wilson, McReight, Scott-Young, and Uru. I think Wilson will come out with all guns blazing to prove himself this season.
Yes back row very strong , can see ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Uru being used as cover for lock.

Keen to see how Wilson and McReight respond to Rennie’s work ons , likewise Uru being told by Thorn to work on his physicality.

Assuming Wright is still the captain he has to start at 6 or 7 . If he starts at 6 , will most likely see ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Uru to the bench , one will cover lock. If Wright starts at 7 , ASY (Angus Scott-Young) probably gets the 6 jersey , but moves to lock when McReight comes on.

Then again , could also see Wilson getting a crack at 6 meaning another reshuffle with ASY (Angus Scott-Young)/Uru at #8 and Wright/McReight at 7.

Great competition and flexibility within those spots .

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Yes back row very strong , can see ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Uru being used as cover for lock.

Keen to see how Wilson and McReight respond to Rennie’s work ons , likewise Uru being told by Thorn to work on his physicality.

Assuming Wright is still the captain he has to start at 6 or 7 . If he starts at 6 , will most likely see ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Uru to the bench , one will cover lock. If Wright starts at 7 , ASY (Angus Scott-Young) probably gets the 6 jersey , but moves to lock when McReight comes on.

Then again , could also see Wilson getting a crack at 6 meaning another reshuffle with ASY (Angus Scott-Young)/Uru at #8 and Wright/McReight at 7.

Great competition and flexibility within those spots .
The naming of Captain will be telltale. Wright didn’t have a standout season at club level which is what he needed. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) seemed to have picked up in NZ from the games I watched. I can see a few shuffles early on.