• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It’s being reported that JOC (James O'Connor) is stepping down as skipper. Makes the backrow make up more interesting

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It’s being reported that JOC (James O'Connor) is stepping down as skipper. Makes the backrow make up more interesting

That is big news but probably good for the future. I am a bit disappointed that McReight is not captain, or co-captain.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would love Jock at 10, I just want him on the field, he has done nothing to lose his spot.
Jock at 10 never saw coming - has he played there previously…don’t get me wrong open to trying players In new positions where makes sense. Just don’t know enough of jocks past to know if this makes some sense.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
he won’t be pushing JOC (James O'Connor) for a start, it just allows him to offer greater utility off the bench and to play second playmaker from fullback.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
he won’t be pushing JOC (James O'Connor) for a start, it just allows him to offer greater utility off the bench and to play second playmaker from fullback.

Clearly. And from the bench we are developing others as well. I'm glad we don't simply lose him if there is a change in 15.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
he wants to focus on securing a Wallaby jersey and feels he needs to cut the distractions.

I personally don’t get the co-captain thing. Perhaps it relives the pressure of some of the off field stuff, but surely on the field there needs to be the one ultimate decision maker?
Wright isn’t even convinced he will be starting with the competition in the back-row, but he is a natural leader in the club. I think going for co-captains is evidence that he may even come off the bench some weeks.

I think Tate might still be a bit green and they don’t want too much pressure on him

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sounds like it was JOC (James O'Connor)'s call, but I like this regardless - handing over the reins to the next generation while some old (using that word loosely) heads are still around to provide guidance.

Tate will captain Australia à la Gregan - you heard it here first ;)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sounds like it was JOC (James O'Connor)'s call, but I like this regardless - handing over the reins to the next generation while some old (using that word loosely) heads are still around to provide guidance.

Tate will captain Australia à la Gregan - you heard it here first ;)
except in the articles written in this topic

Reactions: TSR

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Halfback stability has been an issue for Australian rugby as a whole for some time in my opinion.

If Tate can ascend to another level playing wise in 2022, as well as exhibit strong leadership skills, it will hold the Reds and Wallabies in good stead for a number of years.

Genia probably the last dominant halfback from a skills perspective, but many have been critical about his on field leadership at times over the years.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The statement around JOC (James O'Connor) (including my own) about him wanting to focus on Wallaby selection, may be a little simplistic, and doesn't give the man enough credit. Just listed to an interview with Brad and it seems as much about JOC (James O'Connor) stepping down for the best of the team and for his own play. He felt that the burden of playmaker, goalkicker, senior player, co-captain was too much and really wore him down come season end. You've got to really admire a guy who can acknowledge that and take that action for the best of his team.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
he wants to focus on securing a Wallaby jersey and feels he needs to cut the distractions.

I personally don’t get the co-captain thing. Perhaps it relives the pressure of some of the off field stuff, but surely on the field there needs to be the one ultimate decision maker?

With there being so much competition in the backrow, I'd imagine Liam could be more of a 'club captain' with Tate being the 'Team Captain'.

Nice to see Tate be given an opportunity, JOC (James O'Connor) during his time in Gold last year looked very spooked and lacking in confidence, so I can understand why he wants to take a backseat.

Interestingly enough, Liam Wright was on the Pick and Drive podcast this week and he talked about last year, when he was injured, he tried as much as he could to take the 'less glamorous' stuff off JOC (James O'Connor) and did all the interviews etc he could.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

Strange decision by JOC (James O'Connor). Gives Tate a good opportunity to develop his leadership skills.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Strange decision by JOC (James O'Connor). Gives Tate a good opportunity to develop his leadership skills.

JOC (James O'Connor) would know the state of his body and playing ability more than anyone. The timing of this announcement, at the end of pre-season and as the team prepare for their first game, has the cynic in me worried that he knows he won't be lasting a long time on the paddock.

The positive swing I can put on this, is maybe he's seen what young Lynagh can do, and thinks if he does go down, he might struggle to re-claim his spot from Tom. No dissimilar from Tom Brady taking over for Drew Bledsoe with the New England Patriots and winning a Super Bowl, starting the career of one of the greatest sportsman of all time. Both Brady and Lynagh are named, Tom, coincidence... I think not.

In all seriousness though, if JOC (James O'Connor) isn't 100%, or simply wants to ease the pressure on the other aspects of his game per what Thorn has said, I think its an admirable move to do this before the season starts. It means no matter the situation over the new few months, there won't be a cloud over his head regarding captaincy.