• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
And you’re probably right. But I guess you only need to look at the fact that JOC (James O'Connor) is stepping down to realise it does take its toll on a players prep and I just feel McDermott could benefit from an extra year of just focusing on honing his craft.

McDermott could absolutely thrive as captain and he could play out of his skin. But we saw last year he can excel at super level without lifting his passing game to a higher level. Even at test level - I thought he was one of our best v The All Blacks. But he still ended up getting demoted.

Love McDermott and I have no doubt he will rip in because that’s how he plays. But I personally (and I might be completely on my own here) would have preferred Thorn said to him that all he wanted him to do this year was focus 100% on improving his passing.
Not a distortion at all, think we are on the same thread. JOC (James O'Connor) had a desire to 10 much younger if I recall correctly - some joshing between Wuade and JOC (James O'Connor). The fact he needed to slot there, apparently unintended, speaks to our 10 development. He has been great.

It is an interesting role to develop. Really hopefully on the potential future with Lynagh.
Stewart and Campbell can slot into flyhalf now, with hugely unproven options being Creighton, Lynagh, and Annan. I wouldn’t call this depth by any means, but manageable if JOC (James O'Connor) goes down. Thorn stacked his squad with developing 10s when Gordon left but unfortunately leaving a 2 year gap for depth.

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
And it’s not ideal from a Reds point of view - but I’d have to say it seems to have worked out from an Australian rugby point of view. Cooper is playing in the place probably best for his body; O’Connor is likely to be in prime spot at the Reds, which gives the young guns two years to grow and develop and duke it out for who is heir to the thrown; and Lolesio, Donaldson, Gordon, Harrison, Pasitoa & Kuenzle are all getting senior rugby experience leading their teams around. Lolesio obviously has a jump on the others but I feel like they are all now at the age where being starting players for their super teams is what we should expect for their age if they are going to kick on. Really looking forward to seeing this bunch kick on.

The other observation I’d make is if Gordon hadn’t left when he did I think it would have been very unlikely he would have stuck it out as O’Connors understudy for 2 more years anyway. I’d guess we’d have still ended up in roughly this position.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Stewart and Campbell can slot into flyhalf now, with hugely unproven options being Creighton, Lynagh, and Annan. I wouldn’t call this depth by any means, but manageable if JOC (James O'Connor) goes down. Thorn stacked his squad with developing 10s when Gordon left but unfortunately leaving a 2 year gap for depth.
maybe Campbell will be the next great 15 to 10 switch since Larkham!

I really hope so, for no other reason that I think he is among our best 15 and I don't think he should lose his incumbency to Petaia for the sake of trying something new.

It is a shame that in a trial the "trialling" player usually get a try at a second rate side when the incumbent is against a better team from the kick off.

Reactions: dru

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
And it’s not ideal from a Reds point of view - but I’d have to say it seems to have worked out from an Australian rugby point of view. Cooper is playing in the place probably best for his body; O’Connor is likely to be in prime spot at the Reds, which gives the young guns two years to grow and develop and duke it out for who is heir to the thrown; and Lolesio, Donaldson, Gordon, Harrison, Pasitoa & Kuenzle are all getting senior rugby experience leading their teams around. Lolesio obviously has a jump on the others but I feel like they are all now at the age where being starting players for their super teams is what we should expect for their age if they are going to kick on. Really looking forward to seeing this bunch kick on.

The other observation I’d make is if Gordon hadn’t left when he did I think it would have been very unlikely he would have stuck it out as O’Connors understudy for 2 more years anyway. I’d guess we’d have still ended up in roughly this position.
Reckon Gordon left because JOC (James O'Connor) was made 10 after arriving, he or his manager didn’t want to wait another three years for a starting spot.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hey RR. I wasn't really talking about depth, more about the longer term development of an out and out 10.

I haven't seen Jock doubling into the 10 role yet, but definitely I am impressed with his organisation skills. I think that utility role gives him a second life in pro rugby and I hope he grabs it with both hands. Maybe, just maybe, he can work from there into starting 10 as JOC (James O'Connor) enters his pro twilight. JOC (James O'Connor) has done well at 10, even internationally, but we didn't exactly develop him. Sort of I guess. Certainly Stewart fullfills that role of utility back (including doubling into 10) very well. He is not an outright 10 though. Never was. Nor McIntyre before him. Happy to see what everyone is talking about with Creighton, definitely will be looking out for him.

So yes, we have the bench utility role well served in terms of depth.

What I'm interested in here is how we build Lynagh (or others) into that dedicated ball playing, game playing 10. I don't think we have achieved this since Quade.

I think pretty much every other role on the rugby field, we have demonstrated being able to develop Super level ability from local skills. It would be the cherry on the pie to see us also do it for flyhallf.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Why is it a bit much? As far as I can see most of the comments are based around the fact the Reds are training him up there and most people seem to think that’s a good idea because he is a good player, but the intent is to play Petaia at fullback. No one (that I remember reading) has talked him up there - we just see value in the guy and he has skills that are adaptable. He reads play well, he’s a good organiser and often plays as a second play maker in general play.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Dru, understand that you were talking about developing players at flyhalf. My point being that we are not in dire straits until this comes to fruition. It’s not like we can’t field a flyhalf if JOC (James O'Connor) is not on the field. Thorn has brought options into the training squad giving him more depth in the coming years. Prior to JOC (James O'Connor) returning there was Isaac Lucas who was capable and Gordon as the next best thing to QC (Quade Cooper). Both left leaving us vulnerable. Thorn now closing the gap on this exposure. We are in no different position than any other AU team, maybe with the exception of the Force. But still unproven.
We need to remember QC (Quade Cooper) wasn’t in great form at the Reds before getting shafted. We didn’t even have an international level flyhalf in the country, and still don’t. All this talk about Gordon, Donaldson, Pasitoa and Harrison coming through as depth is premature and again unproven. Lolesio and JOC (James O'Connor) are not top international flyhalf players in comparison to our competition. I’ll get more excited about our flyhalf depth when I see something of the level of Marcus Smith coming through our ranks. Remember Lynagh probably wouldn’t have tested his options here in Oz if he thought he had the ability to overcome Marcus Smith.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
All this talk of Campbell as a playmaker is a bit much. Played most his footy on the wing. Granted I think he has performed better at fullback but at least Stewart has actually played in the position before.
Reds have been using him there in pre-season while JOC (James O'Connor) was unavailable.

i see it as unlikely, and hopefully isn’t a scenario which is forced to occur. But not ‘too much’ based on him actually training there.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
All this talk of Campbell as a playmaker is a bit much. Played most his footy on the wing. Granted I think he has performed better at fullback but at least Stewart has actually played in the position before.
Campbell is one of those players who fits into a team when you don’t have anything better in that position. Good skill, good foresight, good physicality, but not exceptional. Injury last year held up his development, and expecting we will see an improvement this year if he can bunker down a position. If Petaia is preferred at fullback, Dangunu and Vunivalu on the wings, then where does he fit? Regular bench warmer?
Every year I expect to see improvement in Stewart, with times of excitement then let down. A very talented player but his head sometimes doesn’t seem like he’s in it. If Stewart can master 12 with JOC (James O'Connor) and Paisami either side of him, then this could be his year to cement his existence. Best backup flyhalf we have got.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think we are in dire straits. Our 10 depth is OK, and we have talent being developed through Creighton and Lynagh. Still, life would be interesting if JOC (James O'Connor) is out for any period. Which makes the Jock scenario very interesting.

Bring on the season.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Weren't we down to our 4th Fly Half in 2012 and we still came on top of the Aussie conference?

Reactions: gel

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Dallan must of only played once or twice. Don’t even know Sam Lane. We had a few running around then.
Son of Tim Lane, the wallaby player/coach. Sam played an excellent game and a bit before his knee blew up. It was the second time he'd done it and never really recovered to the potential he had shown.