• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
its westpac

The Queensland Rugby Union (QRU) has today announced Westpac as the Queensland Reds new principal and front of jersey partner through 2023.

The two-year deal will build on the QRU’s existing 13-year partnership with the Westpac Group as St.George shifts to the sleeve of the Reds playing jersey for the 2022 season.

Ahead of this Saturday’s Super Rugby Pacific season opener, Westpac’s iconic logo will be displayed front-and-centre on the Queensland Reds playing jersey as the reigning domestic champions host the Melbourne Rebels at Suncorp Stadium.

In an equitable deal for the Queensland women’s program, the Westpac logo will be placed on the front of the Reds Super W jersey for the next two seasons as well.

With a longstanding commitment to helping Queensland communities thrive, a focus on supporting the development of women’s sport as well as encouraging equal opportunities and involvement in the game across all levels will be central to the partnership.

QRU CEO David Hanham said: “Today’s announcement with Westpac is one of the most significant in the history of the Queensland Rugby Union.

“It is a true partnership between two organisations dedicated to delivering and supporting the growth, development and advancement of the game in Queensland.

“Westpac has a large global footprint which is exciting ahead of the inaugural Super Rugby Pacific season and the increased international exposure it’s set to provide to our partners.

“I’d like to thank St.George for their support over the past decade as principal naming rights partner. It has been critical to the development of Rugby throughout Queensland and we look forward to further growing our relationship with the Westpac group over the coming years,” said Hanham.

Westpac Chief Customer Engagement Officer Ross Miller said the partnership will also focus on developing the game throughout Queensland communities.

“We’re really excited to be building on our already longstanding partnership with Queensland Rugby Union. With over 1.6 million Westpac Group customers in Queensland and millions of rugby fans across the country, we also recognise the important role the sport plays throughout Australian communities.

“What’s really special about this partnership is that it’s more than just a sponsorship, but a collaboration that will focus on the development of the sport while also ensuring equal opportunities across all levels of the game – from grassroots to the elite,” Mr Miller said.

Recognising the important role of sport in Queensland communities, Westpac will commit $100,000 for local clubs with its inaugural Westpac Footy Grants program set to launch in 2022. Through the program, sporting clubs will have the chance to apply for funding to support with equipment, uniforms, club repairs or other administrative costs that help keep the club thriving in their local area.

Westpac will also donate $500 to the state’s Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter Service for every try scored by the Queensland Reds and Reds Super W teams throughout the entire 2022 season.

Operated by Surf Life Saving Queensland and supported by Westpac since 1976, the Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter Service plays a vital role in the state as a free community service that provides support through beach patrols, search and rescue missions and assisting with other emergency response incidents. Because of this support to date, no one has ever had to pay to be rescued.

Westpac joins an already strong list of sponsors including St.George, Santos, Rio Tinto, Dynasty Sport, TFH and Alliance Airlines as part of the Reds Family.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Recognising the important role of sport in Queensland communities, Westpac will commit $100,000 for local clubs with its inaugural Westpac Footy Grants program set to launch in 2022. Through the program, sporting clubs will have the chance to apply for funding to support with equipment, uniforms, club repairs or other administrative costs that help keep the club thriving in their local area.
Great bonus for QLD clubs in there too.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
St George still a sleeve, and community sponsor

Attachments

• 20220217_DSC_0068.jpg
    20220217_DSC_0068.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 95
  • 20220217_DSC_0092.jpg
    20220217_DSC_0092.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 100

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Purce, this is very almost the team I would pick. Congrats on selecting Petaia at 13, pushing Paisami in and Stewart to the bench, it's exactly what I would do. I'm not sure though, that it is in the Reds thinking in 2022. They seem to be opening opportunity for Petaia in the back three.

At the moment I'm unsure of Daugunu, he was rusty. Could we start Flook and shift Daugunu to bench? And of course we don't know where Vunivalu is with fitness. If he's ready we have a wing needing to be filled.

I have a little reticence with starting both Uru and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) in the row. But they are the stand outs. I'm not convinced that Smith has made his mark, so I'd be squeezing Blythe in somewhere.

Quibbles though - I like your 23.
Agree with you too dru.

No one else is really stepping up to challenge Daugunu unless you move Petaia to the wing and insert Stewart to 12. I feel like Daugunu just needs to play some consistent footy, he has shown that he has the ability (against the world's best no less) now he just needs to find consistency. I definitely see Flook as a solid 13 and not quite a winger at this level FYI. Although I did hear somewhere that he is the 2nd quickest in the squad which surprised me so perhaps I'm wrong on that.

Agree re: Uru. He is specifically the case I refer to about shifting that back 5 around as required. Horses for courses. I'm happy for any of the 3 Uru, Smith or Blythe to start there. Smith/Blythe was a bit of a 50/50 for me and better discipline got Smith over the line. I wouldn't be upset to see Blythe starting as I'm keen to see his development over the past 18 months in which we haven't seen much of him.

I'm excited to see how this squad has grown after another off-season. Hopefully we hit the ground running.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Damn, that Westpac logo looks great. Last time a logo actually matched the Jersey was the 2010? Queensland Rail logo.

Part of me wants someone to jump from the Westpac Rescue chopper and parachute into Suncorp on Saturday night as the fireworks go off.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Possibly - but if Thorn was

JOC (James O'Connor) has been a bit rusty but he’s clearly first choice flyhalf and goal kicker for this team at the moment. Wright on the other hand is likely fielding pressure from a combination of McReight, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Uru and Wilson to maintain his
Damn, that Westpac logo looks great. Last time a logo actually matched the Jersey was the 2010? Queensland Rail logo.

Part of me wants someone to jump from the Westpac Rescue chopper and parachute into Suncorp on Saturday night as the fireworks go off.
Not taking the piss here but refresh my memory why it is the Queensland Reds and not Queensland Maroons?

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Westpac owns St Georges bank, so it appears that the sponsorship has moved to the head entity to give the whole group more exposure.

I believe the buy out happened when Gail Kelly was CEO of St Georges and the rumour was that they wanted her as their CEO ......

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Westpac owns St Georges bank, so it appears that the sponsorship has moved to the head entity to give the whole group more exposure

It's two separate sponsorships - St George is still the sleeve sponsor with a focus on community engagement for their sponsorship:

The opportunity for another blue-chip organisation to join the Queensland Rugby Union (QRU) follows existing naming rights sponsor St.George moving from the front of Queensland’s playing jersey to the sleeve.
“We have been extremely pleased that St.George will be continuing their sponsorship of the Reds with a focus on community engagement which will see them continue a 14-year commitment to Rugby in Queensland,” said Hanham.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
any word as to whether they will be the "Westpac QLD Reds"?
They're saying they're a "principal and front of jersey partner", whereas St George was "principal and naming rights partner" - so I'm guessing maybe not? None of the socials or press releases have had 'Westpac Queensland Reds' either