• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So fast track to about the last 5 mins here:

Reg, I have said previously that you and Brett are important commentators on rugby for the serious rugby fan. Filling a similar sort of role on different fora. I'm not on my own wrt Jock. Whether the Reds system wishes to recognise it or not, Jock is gaining support toward a gold jersey. Not great support from the Reds, but support nevertheless.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Whether the Reds system wishes to recognise it or not, Jock is gaining support toward a gold jersey. Not great support from the Reds, but support nevertheless.

Reds system doesn’t recognise it?

Brad Thorn literally compared him to Darren Lockyer and Ben Smith just two weeks ago and said he could step up to the next level

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Reds system doesn’t recognise it?

Brad Thorn literally compared him to Darren Lockyer and Ben Smith just two weeks ago and said he could step up to the next level

Yeah, I saw that. Hi praise indeed and I expected big things on the back of it. Not happening though is it? I'll judge Throne by his actions ahead of his talk. I like the talk. Not the action.

PS So no, the Reds system has indeed not rewarded Jocks performance.

PPS amusing that autocorrect changes Thorne to throne.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Reg, I have said previously that you and Brett are important commentators on rugby for the serious rugby fan. Filling a similar sort of role on different fora. I'm not on my own wrt Jock. Whether the Reds system wishes to recognise it or not, Jock is gaining support toward a gold jersey. Not great support from the Reds, but support nevertheless.

Dude. Chill out. Thorn is giving Petaia a game at fullback with Campbell still in the team. He hasn’t cut him QC (Quade Cooper) style. I’m a fan of Jock, big time. Always have been. But I’m not slitting my wrist because he’s moving position.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Jordan Petaia doesn't kick the ball too much on the wing, surely he will be expected to kick more often with 15 on his back?

It seems odd to me that if Thorn believes that kicking can cause hamstring problems that you would move Jordan to a position that will place even more stress on his hamstrings.

Fingers crossed he lasts the game, I guess at least we are luck to have the in form 15 playing on the wing if he has to go off.
I think you've missed the point, it's not kicking specifically it's a change in training load and associated body composition that he's talking about. Kicking is certainly part of that but it's also increased run metres as was mentioned. For Petaia, he does kick a bit but again it's training load, not the amount of kicking in a match. Aside from that they're two entirely different people coming from different places - Petaia's issue likely stem from his youth and the fact that he's still growing.

In terms of lasting the full game I doubt the intention is to play him for 80. No disrespect to Fiji but this is a pretty safe game for us so it allows for a bit more experimentation - firstly Petaia at 15, but we'll also likely see Grealy get time, probably in the position he's most comfortable in. There's a good chance we see Creighton in 10 or 12 at some point too.

I really don't get the blow up here - don't we want to see the Reds building depth throughout the squad and across the park?

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Petaia has signed for 2 more years with the endorsement of RA and the current Wallabies coach suggesting he would like to see what Petaia can do at fullback, as well as Petaia sediments. No harm in having both Petaia and Campbell putting their best foot forward. Both can be utilised into other positions depending on the opposing team and availability of players due to injury. It may reduce Grealy’s time on the field to prove himself.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Petaia has signed for 2 more years with the endorsement of RA and the current Wallabies coach suggesting he would like to see what Petaia can do at fullback, as well as Petaia sediments. No harm in having both Petaia and Campbell putting their best foot forward. Both can be utilised into other positions depending on the opposing team and availability of players due to injury. It may reduce Grealy’s time on the field to prove himself.
Gives Grealy another full season of QPR which is awesome for his development

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I really don't get the blow up here - don't we want to see the Reds building depth throughout the squad and across the park?
In my view, one of Thorn's biggest achievements as a coach has been the amount of depth and versatility he's been able to bring to build within the squad - by both swapping players in/out of the 23 and shuffling positions. The fact that we've been winning games with a pretty significant injury list is testament to this.

The decision is not a sleight against Jock, who has without question been one of the standout players of the season so far, and is simply about Thorn wanting to continue building a stronger squad (with maybe a bit of encouragement from RA). At the end of the day, Jock's rightfully still on the park, and the roles of 14/15 can be relatively fluid anyway...

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Wasn't there an article posted on here a few months ago about him looking to play QPR? His family has setup on the Gold Coast and he would be playing for Bond.

I could be confusing things with the articles about Richard Kingi playing rugby on the Gold Coast as well.
Yeah I posted this in the QPR thread late last year after seeing the article in the GC Bulletin. Interesting bit at the end about how he contacted the Reds about the chance of a one year contract, but all three halfback spots were taken.

6077CD15-ADC5-43EC-8FD0-DAF36BF1E6DF.jpeg

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Nic Darveniza does a great job writing about all things rugby in the GC Bulletin. Articles cover school and junior comps , local senior comp and a bit of QPR as well as stuff higher up the chain. Makes you realise how poorly rugby is covered in Brisbane.

Last edited:

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Nic Darveniza does a great job writing about all things rugby in the GC Bulletin. Articles cover school and junior comps , local senior comp and a bit of QPR as well as stuff higher up the chain. Makes you realise how poorly rugby is covered in Brisbane.
It’s great to have a rugby tragic writing about the game - although he’s just recently moved to the Townsville Bulletin as their sports editor, so not sure what that means for his coverage

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Things looking up behind the scenes at Ballymore:

Plenty of money there to pay the superw players with...
Reported operating profit is $4.1million, but that includes some Ballymore redevelopment grants and COVID stimulus, the $1.57million (2020: $162,182) mentioned by Jim Tucker is excluded those government grants

Yes they posted a profit but the organisation is still paying off past misgivings and aren't sitting on a pile of cash, although QRU core debt has decreased from $9million in 2016 to $1million in 2022.

Some good cash in the foundation too. It’s a big focus moving forward
$1.7million in it with a total of $2million pledged moving forward, my understanding a large chunk of this is for the Ballymore upgrade?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
That is true, but I would imagine keeping Tupou would be of more benefit to the Reds overall and they may be able to afford to keep him with that profit.
I think that's all on RA at this point, the way player contracting works.

As far as I can tell it wouldn't take more than $100,000 to match the financial commitment the force made to their women's team this year. Seems like a good starting point, and a good investment in the game.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)

I'm in agreeance mate. Seems mad to me to move the best performing 15 in oz super to the wing to accommodate an experiment.

However for all we know they could be trialing the 2 fullback system. Still imo a slap in the face to Jock. Yes he isn't dropped but, history will show, he isn't a winger and his performance will likely drop being out of position. I understand your frustration. Until jordy outplays him I don't think their positions should have been swapped.

What Jock brings from 15 is also a ball playing option coming into the line. It'll be interesting to see what impact that will have on the game having what is essentially a strike 15 in his place.