• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Are there any club players who've earned the shot? Having only played a handful of games the sample size may not be there.

Has Moore still been training with the Reds/UQ?

I guess Goerge Blake has played a couple of games now, but I haven’t seen much to suggest he’s ready for this.

Alex Casey at GPS? He and Tonga Maafu probably the most experienced.

I’m a Ethan Dobbins fan from Wests. Zack Crothers from Easts too.

Jake Tierney probably young enough to meet one Thorn criteria.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

Ethan Dobbins is turning into a weekly liability for wests with his yellow/red cards.

Great work ethic running around the park but boneheaded penalties leading to 10 in the bin (3 weeks in a row)

If anyone at ballymore scouting QPR hookers this is certainly Ethan’s biggest knock.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I guess Goerge Blake has played a couple of games now, but I haven’t seen much to suggest he’s ready for this.

I reckon if Asiata isn't good, they'll look at Maafu or Blake first.

Mafi has been posting more content of him back in the gym etc. I would still be surprised to see him back this season, outside of a grand final (unlikely).

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I mean the reality is the longer it goes, the further away from Moore's last actual rugby season we get.

If he hasn't even been training with any teams, the risk to himself and his performance are high.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

I heard a story that Alex Casey was on the verge of retirement this year. Took a bit of convincing to "have one more run"

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Did rugbyau end up going with that shared pool of covid cover players? Pretty sure that's where Faagase came from as he was playing for the rebels a couple weeks ago.

I believe Faagase would be the first reds player to return to team under Brad Thorn Tenture.

A Smith twin might of come back for a second stint but as they are identical they confuse me and hard to keep track of.

Can anyone else think of a second stint thorn player?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
A Smith twin might of come back for a second stint but as they are identical they confuse me and hard to keep track of.
Didn’t one of them already have a second stint a couple of years ago?

Edit: Yes, Ruan played one game for the Reds last year after departing in 2019

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I believe Faagase would be the first reds player to return to team under Brad Thorn Tenture.

Can anyone else think of a second stint thorn player?
as in someone playing under Thorn two different times?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Asiata sort of fits that description, playing for Queensland Country under Thorn before going to Toronto.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
as in someone playing under Thorn two different times?

Yes I’m generally interested to see if Brad thorn is the forgiving type and will welcome back a player with open arms that may have previously left.

Rodda, Hockings and Lucas are pretty much nogo’s in my eyes on account of how their departure played out with in media and money outstanding during COVID’s… but maybe he brings back some other players who left because of playing time issues.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yes I’m generally interested to see if Brad thorn is the forgiving type and will welcome back a player with open arms that may have previously left.

Rodda, Hockings and Lucas are pretty much nogo’s in my eyes on account of how their departure played out with in media and money outstanding during COVID’s… but maybe he brings back some other players who left because of playing time issues.

So here are all the departures since Thorn took over:
2017-2018 (Thorn takes charge for 2018, hard to say which departures were sorted before he got the gig)
Phil Kite
Kirwan Sanday
Sam Talakai
Stephen Moore
Caderyn Neville
Rob Simmons
Leroy Houston
Hendrik Tui
Nick Frisby
Jake McIntyre
Campbell Magnay
Henry Taefu
Chris Kurindrani

2018-2019
Sef Fa'agase
James Slipper
Markus Vanzati
Andrew Ready
Kane Douglas
Michael Gunn
Reece Hewat
George Smith
Quade Cooper
Jono Lance
Ben Lucas
Lachlan Maranta
Eto Nabuli
Jayden Ngamanu
Izaia Perese
Karmichael Hunt

2019-2020
Gavin Luka
Efi Ma'afu
Adam Korczyk
Caleb Timu
Scott Higginbotham
James Tuttle
Matt McGahan
Samu Kerevi
Duncan Paia'aua
Seb Wileman
Will Eadie
Sefa Naivalu
Liam McNamara
Aidan Toua

2020-2021
David Feao
JP Smith
Jack Straker
Ed Craig
Sean Farrel
Harry Hockings
Izack Rodda
Michael Wood
Tom Kibble
Scott Malolua
Carter Gordon
Chris Feauai-Sautia
Isaac Lucas
Henry Speight
Jack Hardy

2021-2022
Brandon Paenga-Amosa
Ben Grant
Sam Wallis
Moses Sorovi
Bryce Hegarty
Hudson Creighton

A few guys you might want back in quality terms, though chief amongst them are Rodda, Lucas and Hockings. I don't think there is anyone else on that list that they wanted to keep when they left that wouldn't take back/have actively ignored since. Maybe Quade, but that's not so simple.

Hell of a lot of props have left when you go through the list, but I'm not sure many of them have really kicked on either so I can't say they were wrong to lose them.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

A few guys you might want back in quality terms, though chief amongst them are Rodda, Lucas and Hockings. I don't think there is anyone else on that list that they wanted to keep when they left that wouldn't take back/have actively ignored since. Maybe Quade, but that's not so simple.

Hell of a lot of props have left when you go through the list, but I'm not sure many of them have really kicked on either so I can't say they were wrong to lose them.
That's pretty forgiving. Your current props are club level.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Yeah I think I’m ready to forgive and forget. I’d take Hockings and Lucas back.