• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

Wilson

David Codey (61)
That's pretty forgiving. Your current props are club level.
Of those that left only the Smiths, Talakai, David Feao and Phil Kite are still playing pro as far as I'm aware. Kite and Feao are Tonga capped which makes holding onto them more difficult. The Smiths are more or less passed it, either one might have been ok if we kept them but I don't see the value in going backwards there. Talakai I haven't seen play in a while but I always rated him and wouldn't mind having back over Fa'agase right now.

As far as what we've got Tupou is obviously excellent and I rate Hoopert. Nongorr is a good prospect but has struggled for game time behind Tupou. Foutuaika is a solid option in covering both sides, but he hasn't been at his best this year. I'm not a huge fan of Zander but he's definitely had his moments and his best has been above anything Sanday, Vanzati, Luka or Straker ever offered.

The biggest loss on the prop side of things, and the one I'd most like to see back is probably the one we never had in the squad proper - Rhys Van Nek.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Cheers for that list Wilson.

Agree on bringing back Slipper. Brad and James would need to have a chummy press conference side by side and talk about the road to redemption but I reckon they could coexist yet again.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah I think I’m ready to forgive and forget. I’d take Hockings and Lucas back.
I thought I heard they both re-signed in Japan with contracts that would take them pretty close to the 5 year qualification, but I can't find where I saw it. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing one or both back but it'd probably only work if they made the approach.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
That's pretty forgiving. Your current props are club level.

Our main prop losses outside Slipper were JP and Ruan Smith who left in their ‘prime’.

JP decided to take foot off the gas and head to MLR, now SA. He would probably be worth a shout in current squad, I think he runs laps around Zander and is probably a nose better than Hoopert.

Ruan came back to Reds, then retired, then made injury comeback for Tahs and hasn’t featured barely at all. I think he’s better off gone at this point.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Of those that left only the Smiths, Talakai, David Feao and Phil Kite are still playing pro as far as I'm aware. Kite and Feao are Tonga capped which makes holding onto them more difficult. The Smiths are more or less passed it, either one might have been ok if we kept them but I don't see the value in going backwards there. Talakai I haven't seen play in a while but I always rated him and wouldn't mind having back over Fa'agase right now.

As far as what we've got Tupou is obviously excellent and I rate Hoopert. Nongorr is a good prospect but has struggled for game time behind Tupou. Foutuaika is a solid option in covering both sides, but he hasn't been at his best this year. I'm not a huge fan of Zander but he's definitely had his moments and his best has been above anything Sanday, Vanzati, Luka or Straker ever offered.

Hard to compare a bunch of these props to the current stocks - they're essentially across different generations at the Reds and never really had to compete for spots.

Kite, Sanday, Vanzati and Talakai last played for the Reds in 2017. As you mention, Kite and Talakai in particular went on to play many more seasons for other clubs and have been very handy and would be welcome additions to our prop depth.

Hard to say whether someone like Zander (debuted 2020) would have got a shot if some of those guys stuck around.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
He hasn't made an impact since being at the Rebels so why would he do so at the Reds?

he is still super young stuck behind some quality front rowers. The reds have a front row depth crisis - anytime a player can play multiple positions on the front row… it’s a valuable trait.

the guy I want from the rebels is Efi Mafu. Former qld reds who has a ton of super rugby experience under his belt now.

theres certainly no one in clubland deserving of a reds contract… they took semi retired Stephen Moore and Albert Anae on recent road games because the reds didn’t feel confident picking from 3rd tier.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
You'd love to have an emergency loan system in place - 4 quality hookers at the Brumbies, for example, be great for the Reds to sign one on a 4-week contract.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
theres certainly no one in clubland deserving of a reds contract… they took semi retired Stephen Moore and Albert Anae on recent road games because the reds didn’t feel confident picking from 3rd tier.
To be fair - club rugby is only 5 weeks old (with one essential washout) - there hasn't been enough time to properly scope the talent this season.

We spoke about it in this Reds thread when Moore travelled with the squad, the timings of the QPR season starting and the Super Rugby season being halfway through isn't ideal at all.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

To be fair - club rugby is only 5 weeks old (with one essential washout) - there hasn't been enough time to properly scope the talent this season.

We spoke about it in this Reds thread when Moore travelled with the squad, the timings of the QPR season starting and the Super Rugby season being halfway through isn't ideal at all.
Be interesting to see how much game time Rhys VN has had this year at any level.

Could be another one that is paid to train only ie most of the wider squads because not being released / encouraged to play for clubs.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Be interesting to see how much game time Rhys VN has had this year at any level.

Could be another one that is paid to train only ie most of the wider squads because not being released / encouraged to play for clubs.

He must be injured - he did turn out for Easts tigers last year but haven’t seen him in any lineups this year.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Cheers for that list Wilson.

Agree on bringing back Slipper. Brad and James would need to have a chummy press conference side by side and talk about the road to redemption but I reckon they could coexist yet again.
Has Thorns stance of drug use changed? I don't see how they could reunite.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Why is this even being discussed? Slipper re-signed with the Brumbies until the end of 2023 only a couple of months back.
exactly. And remember that James is now in his twilight period. He has been an awesome member of the teams he has joined but doesn't have a real lot of years left at the top level.
Old Father time catches up with us all eventually.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
props generally have a longer shelf life.

the playing position least likely to pull a hammy.

happy to revisit the slipper talk in 2023.

I reckon 35yrs old is pushing it even for a prop, especially one who made his debut for the Wallabies when he was 21. Those knees will be sore.

Just to dive a bit deeper into your comment re prop shelf life - props used to be 'late bloomers' because it took a while to hone the craft, grow into their prop bodies and learn the dark arts. That all still stands, but especially in Australia we're seeing props get blooded much earlier across all levels of play. I think that will affect their long-term shelf life at the top level, although, scrums have been depowered over the last 10 years, so maybe the pressures on their bodies aren't as high.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Mafi off to the Rebels (I assume to replace Uelese)

This leaves our hookers as Nasser, Asiata and Faerrel..
who is Faerrel? or is it a typo - Farrell, Sean who is not even playing this year after being a flanker last year at souths.

Reds will find another great young one and develop him. Have faith.