• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He might be - he hasn't really excelled.

I'm still mystified at how bad the Reds are at using him as a crash baller. Completely telegraphed and easily handled by the opposition.

Quade may have more luck unleashing Vunivalu than James as Quade Cooper loved having Digby on his hip

You would think he would be running that inside channel off every lineout, even if doesn't get it, it must square up wider defenders and give the others space

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
You would think he would be running that inside channel off every lineout, even if doesn't get it, it must square up wider defenders and give the others space
Yeah, that could be an option. Either the backline needs more bodies in motion to cause doubt in the defenders mind, or Vunivalu would be better off come back the other way rather than starting on the inside.

Perhaps that's our downfall of having both Stewart and Flook at 12/13. They both hit the line hard, but, multiple defenders aren't going to be dragged in stopping them.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Perhaps that's our downfall of having both Stewart and Flook at 12/13. They both hit the line hard, but, multiple defenders aren't going to be dragged in stopping them.
Yes I am not sure Stewart and Flook would be the long term centre combo for the Reds. Neither of them considered a huge attacking threat on their own, I really like Flook but unless he's doing to work on his kicking and becoming a supreme defensive stopper ala Ikitau, I don't think he can hold that spot down with someone like Stewart at 12.

It will be interesting to see how hard the Reds pursue Kerevi, he would be a welcome addition especially with Paisami's issues thie year. I do worry about Mafi and Kerevi's relationship, they are very close and with Mafi moving to the Rebels, maybe they've pushed themselves up the ladder if Kerevi wants to return to Super Rugby.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

My recollection of the Quade-hip Digby scenario, was that it was more likely when things were getting a bit broken down, rather than from set piece. But I don't disagree with your thinking at all.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My recollection of the Quade-hip Digby scenario, was that it was more likely when things were getting a bit broken down, rather than from set piece. But I don't disagree with your thinking at all.
Randwick used to run pretty well the same move continually, just with different receivers; and lots in motion

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Randwick used to run pretty well the same move continually, just with different receivers; and lots in motion

The Reds should bring back the old ‘chiropractor’ play as some of my old coaches called it. The 12 or 13 receives the ball deep and pivots to turn his back on the defense, lots of runners in motion, the ball gets popped to someone. I’ve seen it work a number of times as a Hail Mary in finals series, but true to its name the ball player usually ends up with a very sore back.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought I heard they both re-signed in Japan with contracts that would take them pretty close to the 5 year qualification, but I can't find where I saw it. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing one or both back but it'd probably only work if they made the approach.
I don’t see the problem going after Lucas or hocking as they took a legitimate legal option to opt out when contracts cut in Covid. Whatever you think they were entitled to do it and can’t afford to hold grudges on something like this to stop signing quality players. If reds have this attitude they will continue to be underwhelming as to me they made a mistake to let slipper go given reasons for his indiscretion could have justified retaining him after finishing the stand down period. To me reds own worse enemy.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don’t see the problem going after Lucas or hocking as they took a legitimate legal option to opt out when contracts cut in Covid. Whatever you think they were entitled to do it and can’t afford to hold grudges on something like this to stop signing quality players. If reds have this attitude they will continue to be underwhelming as to me they made a mistake to let slipper go given reasons for his indiscretion could have justified retaining him after finishing the stand down period. To me reds own worse enemy.

I tend to agree. The counter is the culture piece, which by all feedback Thorn has done very well.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I tend to agree. The counter is the culture piece, which by all feedback Thorn has done very well.
Fair point I guess he set a high standard but did feel given slippers circumstances a little more leniency could have been shown after a stand down period. But yes you could argue the other way I agree and appreciate divided views on that.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Fair point I guess he set a high standard but did feel given slippers circumstances a little more leniency could have been shown after a stand down period. But yes you could argue the other way I agree and appreciate divided views on that.

You're going to have to explain what your interpretation of what was reported as from memory, James popped twice and the first time, there was a lot of understanding about why and an attempt to forgive seemed to have been made.

It was the second time he tested positive was when he was then suspended and ultimately, did not have his contract renewed.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
You're going to have to explain what your interpretation of what was reported as from memory, James popped twice and the first time, there was a lot of understanding about why and an attempt to forgive seemed to have been made.

It was the second time he tested positive was when he was then suspended and ultimately, did not have his contract renewed.
Agree with this. I actually thought it was 3 times adding even more leniency from the Reds.

Either way Slipper moving on has been the best for both parties and it was done without running his name through the mud. He is a great player and bloke, I was sad to see him leave the Reds but ultimately happy to see him find top form and support in Canberra.

All the best to him, we could use him now but perhaps the front row curse in QLD would claim him too. Best he stays down there.

I'd like to see Lucas come back to fill that gap behind JOC (James O'Connor). I can't see James playing all season next year and don't think his current backup offers enough upside for us to not look for another one. Lynagh is still unlikely an option until 2024 as he develops.

I'd love to see us get Edmed as a 10/12 particularly with the rumours of Stewart leaving. I'd be going hard for him if I were the Reds. Tahs will fight hard to keep him and the culture looks great down there so I doubt he would leave.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
My memory is a bit foggy to say the least , but wasn’t there something about the Reds not finding out about Slipper’s first offence until he got done the second time?

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
My memory is a bit foggy to say the least , but wasn’t there something about the Reds not finding out about Slipper’s first offence until he got done the second time?
Yep, I'd forgotten that:
Under Rugby Australia's Illicit Drugs policy the first test is kept confidential, with only Rugby Australia's integrity unit and the relevant doctors made aware, with a focus on player welfare, but a second positive test is made public and the player is punished.

On Reg's point, it's ironic that he was a player rep for the policy, which seems somewhat flawed in that the club can't directly provide informed support in circumstances such as James'. Although I suppose the club's doctors (who, from that quote, I assume are informed) would be able to provide guidance to the club as they saw fit, without disclosing the pop.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Agree with this. I actually thought it was 3 times adding even more leniency from the Reds.

Either way Slipper moving on has been the best for both parties and it was done without running his name through the mud. He is a great player and bloke, I was sad to see him leave the Reds but ultimately happy to see him find top form and support in Canberra.

All the best to him, we could use him now but perhaps the front row curse in QLD would claim him too. Best he stays down there.

I'd like to see Lucas come back to fill that gap behind JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor). I can't see James playing all season next year and don't think his current backup offers enough upside for us to not look for another one. Lynagh is still unlikely an option until 2024 as he develops.

I'd love to see us get Edmed as a 10/12 particularly with the rumours of Stewart leaving. I'd be going hard for him if I were the Reds. Tahs will fight hard to keep him and the culture looks great down there so I doubt he would leave.
My memory of James was related to this happening with some issues with death of his mother etc. But agree better to leave this as he has been a shining star at rebels and continued good stalwart for the wallabies so glad tuned out well for him, the brumbies and wallabies.

Not long ago I thought reds had good backs depth but with Grealy rumoured to be leaving as with Stewart maybe that depth starting to be stretched.

Back up to JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 got to be the priority. Wonder whether Lawson can be the long term option as done ok I suppose but with improvements of course still needed. Yes edmed would be great option for reds here at 10 but we should hopefully keep him as he has been great with Donaldson unable to unsurp him since returning back from injury.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
OK, I'm in some despondency following the latest Reds performance in NZ. I'll start by cross posting this (apologies Wilson):

"I don't buy into this narrative that Thorn is done, with his record, everything else that's happened this year and the long term commitment the reds have made to him I reckon he gets another year and I back him for it. Certainly if there is a change to make it makes sense to do it after the world cup, as the great coaching merry-go-round happens."

I actually don't think there is much of a narrative around Thorn's time being up. But should there be? Ages ago on these pages there was lengthy discussion when Thorn took the reigns, IMO much too early. But I thought that as the call had been made, the usual expectation of three years for a new coach should be ditched given he was learning on the run. Always thought he should be allowed 5 years.

Times up, Brad. Shit or get off the pot. This year is over, another 12 months? OK but lock it in. Perform - as seen by Reds results - or move on.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
OK, I'm in some despondency following the latest Reds performance in NZ. I'll start by cross posting this (apologies Wilson):

"I don't buy into this narrative that Thorn is done, with his record, everything else that's happened this year and the long term commitment the reds have made to him I reckon he gets another year and I back him for it. Certainly if there is a change to make it makes sense to do it after the world cup, as the great coaching merry-go-round happens."

I actually don't think there is much of a narrative around Thorn's time being up. But should there be? Ages ago on these pages there was lengthy discussion when Thorn took the reigns, IMO much too early. But I thought that as the call had been made, the usual expectation of three years for a new coach should be ditched given he was learning on the run. Always thought he should be allowed 5 years.

Times up, Brad. Shit or get off the pot. This year is over, another 12 months? OK but lock it in. Perform - as seen by Reds results - or move on.
No apologies necessary. I do think there has been a narrative building in parts of the media and to a lesser degree here, particularly around player dissatisfaction, thought it's notable that it isn't coming from any of those journalists closer to the reds that tend to have the inside line.

As far as my thoughts go it's as I said above I wouldn't be getting rid of him yet, but next year is the question. There has been steady progress in trying times and at the moment this year is a bit of an aberration, somewhat understandable given the injuries. Next year will show if a change is needed, and it's the right time in the global cycle to be making a change anyway.

If we do change coach there needs to be a proper process, not just the usual carpark candidates. With a strong young squad, an excellent player base and a Lions tour and home world cup to help with retention prove your coaching credentials we'll be close to the hottest ticket amongst non-international sides, so we'd be best to look while contracts are changing over post world cup. Just to be clear I don't mean we have to bring someone in from outside even if Thorn doesn't perform - I'd be very happy with Mick Heenan (or someone else from QPR) taking the reins, it just needs to be properly proven that they're the best candidate.