• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Good for the Rebels , thought he initially was only on a one year contract.

Well done if you now have him for longer.

I can't find it now, but there's an article floating around where he's quoted saying he's excited to be in Melbourne for the next couple years. Could just be being polite and as we know professional sport doesn't care for player's feelings. But I don't see him moving now that he's number 1 flyhalf at the Rebels.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I still don't see the point of Mason following Carter down to Melbourne when they're constantly flying up to Brisbane (when the spicy cough isn't locking Vic down) to play in the QPR.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's interesting that McReight has already been elevated above him (at Wallabies level at least). I know they're not like for like but posters on here have been saying for a while McReight is the heir apparent and Wright is keeping his seat warm for Fraser. I didn't expect it happen so quickly though.

McReight hasn't hit his stride at this level the same way Wilson has, yet. I think Wright is still the better 7.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I still don't see the point of Mason following Carter down to Melbourne when they're constantly flying up to Brisbane (when the spicy cough isn't locking Vic down) to play in the QPR.

I would have thought when there was no rugby for him to play down there he would have been based in Brisbane, following the Rebels training program. It's not like he's any chance of playing for them currently.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
McReight hasn't hit his stride at this level the same way Wilson has, yet. I think Wright is still the better 7.

Interesting - I thought Wilson had a massive 2020, but suffered from some second year syndrome this season. Maybe teams were just ready for him or maybe my expectations were just too high.

Whereas I think McReight was more consistent across 2020 and 2021.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Interesting - I thought Wilson had a massive 2020, but suffered from some second year syndrome this season. Maybe teams were just ready for him or maybe my expectations were just too high.

Wilson was your best player in TT. He slowed down a little in Au but was still pretty consistent IMO.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Wilson was your best player in TT. He slowed down a little in Au but was still pretty consistent IMO.
Agree , he played his best footy against the Kiwi teams .

Would go as far to say he seemed to lift to the challenge of playing them.

Not sure if Thorn used him differently in TT , but he was more effective in nearly facets of his game.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Agree , he played his best footy against the Kiwi teams .

Would go as far to say he seemed to lift to the challenge of playing them.

Not sure if Thorn used him differently in TT , but he was more effective in nearly facets of his game.
Yeh Wilson seems to have a great mindset as he definitely rose to the challenge and seemed to lift a gear when playing the kiwis. Can’t be anything but impressed by his talents and keeps on this path can lay claims soon to be best 8 in world rugby...

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I can't find it now, but there's an article floating around where he's quoted saying he's excited to be in Melbourne for the next couple years. Could just be being polite and as we know professional sport doesn't care for player's feelings. But I don't see him moving now that he's number 1 flyhalf at the Rebels.
One was a 2 year and the other on 3 year contract. Not sure which one was on what.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

Agree. In the next year I think we’ll see both step up the next level.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Disappointed that we didn't get Pasitoa, I feel he would have been a great fit in a young backline. Guess he would have been behind JOC (James O'Connor) but they could have managed the two of them. Maybe big things expected of Lynagh, hopeful he's like his brother who played well for Quinn this season.
I like that Pasitoa has gone to the Force with the possibility of a start. It really spreads our young flyhalf talent across all franchises. Even though Pasitoa plays more of an inside centre game. Lynagh needs to be fast tracked at flyhalf especially so we don’t get a repeat of the last couple of games without JOC (James O'Connor). We don’t have a strong backup going into 2022.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I like that Pasitoa has gone to the Force with the possibility of a start. It really spreads our young flyhalf talent across all franchises. Even though Pasitoa plays more of an inside centre game. Lynagh needs to be fast tracked at flyhalf especially so we don’t get a repeat of the last couple of games without JOC (James O'Connor). We don’t have a strong backup going into 2022.

Agree with this 100%.

Every team has at least one young and developing 10 - Force (Pasitoa), Rebels (Gordon x 2), Tahs (Harrison, Donaldson & Edmed), Brums (Lolesio) and Reds (Lynagh, Grealy(?). And we also have JOC (James O'Connor) & To'omua here to get games in gold until these guys have truly earned it - at least one of those two should be at RWC 2023. Best position we've been in at 10 for a long time.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'd love for Lance to be back for 2022 (only). A solid performer and experienced campaigner to step in if JOC (James O'Connor) goes down and/or needs a rest.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
After Super Rugby AU maybe, but Wilson took his game to another level in TT and McReight was found out. He looked sluggish in the game he started against the Crusaders and slipped off a few tackles when bought on against the Chiefs. Hopefully just a case that his young body was tired after a taxing season, is it his first uninterrupted pro season after all. Predicting he will bounce back if given a chance off the bench against the Frogs

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So I don't think we can expect the drip feed signings like other clubs do. The QRU seem to just name the whole squad, plus I don't now if there's much recruiting to do.

From our records on the front page we have 24 players signed for next year.

24 signed
Hookers – Alex Mafi & Josh Nasser
THPs – Taniela Tupou & Zane Nongorr
LHPs – Harry Hoopert
Locks – Lukhan Salakai-Loto, Angus Blyth, Ryan Smith, Tuaina Taii Tualima, Wilson Blyth
Backrower – Harry Wilson & Fraser McReight
Scrumhalf – Tate McDermott & Kalani Thomas
Flyhalf – James O’Connor
Centres – Hamish Stewart, Hunter Paisami, Jordan Petaia & Josh Flook
Wings – Suliasi Vunivalu, Iliaisa Droasese & Filipo Daugunu
Fullback – Jock Campbell & Mac Grealy

Now, I am not entirely sure if Wilson Blyth is on a development contract again next year or a full one (he probably should still be on a development one as I don't think he's quite ready).

From the un-signed guys of this year I think we can add in:
- Dane Zander as another LHP and Feao Fotuaika who can play both sides. Hoopert probably as 12 months to prove his worth.
- Liam Wright, Angus Scott-Young and Seru Uru as backrowers (with Uru covering lock as well if needed)
- Bryce Hegarty as back up 10 acknowledging that Hamish Stewart proved a reliable back up late in the season plus we have young Lynagh and Anan in the development program.
- Isaac Henry deserves a full time contract too

That takes us up to 31 which must be close to the mark considering the reduced salary cap. We need another hooker as Nasser isn't up to it yet (but is a fine back third option). James Hanson could be one, but depends on salary cap. Perhaps we get Rhys Van Nek back or consider Richie Asiata a hooker option.

A third scrumhalf is needed too. So we either take James Tuttle who is keen to come back apparently or chase Ben Meehan or do we back another youngster in Spencer Jeans or the like.

In short, the same squad basically as this year. Which will be fine for Super Rugby AU (Force one to watch next year, Brumbies look shaky). But it's going to require a mammoth improvement across the squad (playing and coaching) for us to be competitive with the kiwis.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Out of the 2021 regular matchday players, I think Hergarty most likely to leave.

Henry likely to be offered a contract and provides goal kicking cover, Grealy looked good at his time in 15 and JOC (James O'Connor) obviously planning on locking down the 10 spot for another two years. Stewart was good 10 cover as you said.

Hergarty still has value in the squad if you lose any combination of JOC (James O'Connor)/Stewart/Grealy at the same time. But he might want too much $

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Losing Carter Gordon seems like such a blow. There aren't many areas that squad needs upgrading, but he would have addressed the main one, being cover for an aging and injury prone JOC (James O'Connor).

Hegarty is decent as a second playmaking option but that's it, unless you want to play the Kiwi sides on hard mode and give them space and broken play inside your own 40, over and over again.