• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Yet, Rennie said O’Connor was now a genuine option of being included as a “utility player” alongside Cooper after improving his speed work.

“We would definitely not have played him a fullback a couple of months ago and prior to that because from a high-speed running perspective he just hasn’t hit any decent numbers for the last couple of years,” Rennie said.

“But he’s worked really hard and he’s the sharpest I’ve seen him.

“He’s definitely into the physical shape where we think we could use him as a utility as opposed to just a 10.”

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
that's really interesting. That S&C team doing some top work.

If you discount the guy who's been bumming around in Japan and come home via a contiki tour of party spots in the USA is now the fittest man in the Wallaby squad

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Reds Wingers and dodgy hamstrings seem to go hand in hand with one another.

Davies and CFS stand out to me, but I could have sworn, Shipperley, Morahan, Tune and Digby all spent a bit of time out with tweaks?

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
that's really interesting. That S&C team doing some top work.

If you discount the guy who's been bumming around in Japan and come home via a contiki tour of party spots in the USA is now the fittest man in the Wallaby squad

Yeah the Mad Dog has always had that amazing engine regardless of what fuel he's been putting into it.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Can we get Kerevi back in 2023 please? He and Paisami would be epic
Pretty sure unless Kerevi changes managers there would be stiff chance he ever comes back to the Reds.

I believe the Kerevi contract was one of the main issues that caused a splinter between the QRU and Picone.

Also as already pointed out - these players who are being paid overseas now have no real reason to return to Super Rugby for Wallabies eligibility.

It will work both ways though down the track - there isn’t as much incentive for overseas clubs to poach the high school leaver Aussie born players in the hopes of making them eligible for another country, as they will be Wallabies eligible regardless of where they play. So we may retain some more of that younger talent onshore.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Pretty sure unless Kerevi changes managers there would be stiff chance he ever comes back to the Reds.

I believe the Kerevi contract was one of the main issues that caused a splinter between the QRU and Picone.

Also as already pointed out - these players who are being paid overseas now have no real reason to return to Super Rugby for Wallabies eligibility.

It will work both ways though down the track - there isn’t as much incentive for overseas clubs to poach the high school leaver Aussie born players in the hopes of making them eligible for another country, as they will be Wallabies eligible regardless of where they play. So we may retain some more of that younger talent onshore.
Long term, it should be self-fulfilling too. A stronger Wallabies (feat. internationals) driving up national interest in the game, bumping up revenue, eventually leading to more $ (and clout) in Super to help retain star players locally, that will drive up interest in the game, and so forth - in theory anyway.

In saying that, I can't see Super ever being able to compete with the type of cash being thrown around in Japan and France, but hopefully it gets the local game to stage where the attraction of playing for a Super team nullifies the salary difference a bit. It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
In saying that, I can't see Super ever being able to compete with the type of cash being thrown around in Japan and France, but hopefully it gets the local game to stage where the attraction of playing for a Super team nullifies the salary difference a bit. It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out.
I’m worried about the MLR reaching those levels as well.

But interestingly enough I’ve spoken to a few guys who played in it this year and they seem concerned whether it’s sustainable. It was pretty obvious this year that the team with the biggest cheque book wins that comp so I thought others might open the accounts and pillage our shores even more. But those playing over there aren’t so sure, whether that’s just a feeling or insider knowledge I don’t know. But it will be interesting.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Louis Lynagh just got picked in an England training squad. Reds might want to get a move on if they want to contract him. He’s scoring plenty of tries for his club side and looks a good prospect.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Louis Lynagh just got picked in an England training squad. Reds might want to get a move on if they want to contract him. He’s scoring plenty of tries for his club side and looks a good prospect.
Wouldn’t be the Reds, RA would need to move on this one. He is already contracted for a few years in England

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The Reds have really gone with youth in the halfback ranks haven't they. If McDermott goes down things could get interesting.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Good to see them extending players and upgrading players early, its something rugby has done poorly in the past, waiting for player to come off contract before trying to extend