• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I don't see we will see much of Grealy. We need to be cut throat this comp. Best team, week to week. Unless there's injuries Grealy is not in our best 23. He's probably our 3rd fullback at best.
You can be the third best hooker at the Brumbies and still get a Wallaby jersey, so anything’s possible ( insert appropriate emoji).

Just can’t see our best 23 being available every week.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I am genuinely excited about the Reds this Super season. The comp looks great and I'll be doing whatever I can to get to Melbourne for the Super Round. Very keen for the Drua and Moana Pasifika games. Think they will add a lot to the comp, in a few years they will be competitive, they'll probably beat a few teams this year too.

I might even splash out and get season tickets.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Very keen for the Drua and Moana Pasifika games. Think they will add a lot to the comp, in a few years they will be competitive, they'll probably beat a few teams this year too.
Quietly nervous about the games against the Drua and Moana Pasifika - I think they'll certainly catch a few teams out. Round 5 at Suncorp v Pasifika will be a homecoming of sorts too for BGS old boy Levi Aumua

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Write up of Angus Scott-Young's season with Bay of Plenty from Georgina Robinson:

I'm very keen to see how he's progressed coming into next year.
I love ASY (Angus Scott-Young) but even I can see his carry metres are virtually non existent. Love to see him take another step in his rugby progression.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Next year will present a very interesting contrast and one which might have long term ramifications.

On the one hand a group of Brumbies players were retained as the cornerstone of the Wallabies squad - in particular the pack - and have had the benefit of playing test rugby and the exposure to the learning experience of a Wallaby European tour.

On the other a group of Reds have been overlooked or omitted and left behind to complete a full off-season and, in Scott-Young’s case - play NPC.

How the respective packs progress next year will make an interesting case study - in particular with how to best manage our young talent.

NB I don’t have an issue with any of the decisions. The only spot I’m a bit dubious about was the selection process at 2 - but given no-one grabbed their opportunity I’m not overly worried about McKellar picking guys familiar with his systems.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't see we will see much of Grealy. We need to be cut throat this comp. Best team, week to week. Unless there's injuries Grealy is not in our best 23. He's probably our 3rd fullback at best.
Yeh and sadly that is where nrc use to play the part to give the grealy’s of the world game time under the spotlight to progress / see if ready to make step up next season. Now we don’t have nrc where do these fringe players get game time in an environment a cut above club level to develop / showcase their abilities

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well for Grealy he needs a season of dominating Premier Rugby. Assuming young Noddy ends up at UQ too, it wouldn’t be a bad thing to see those two really learn each other’s games.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
that would be nice, I don’t think the Reds can afford to wait until 2023 to use him though. Squad depth suggests he will be used quite a bit in 2022

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So the squad is confirmed and I probably didn't appreciate that Lopeti Faifau and George Blake were part of the main squad.

They were originally named in the Development Squad but must have impressed at training to get the call up.

Blake is understandable I guess, to round out the 6 props which arguably gives us the most promising group of young props in the country?

I know less about Faifau. He's listed as a lock and seems to have leap frogged Wilson Blyth. I thought Tualima was very good in club land last year, so, again, there is some good young talent coming through having lost Hocking and Rodda just a couple of years ago.

No Michael Wood with the Tahs though. Wouldn't mind him coming home.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

Queensland Reds 2022 Squad (in alphabetical order)

Richie Asiata – Easts

George Blake – Bond University

Angus Blyth – Bond University

Jock Campbell – University of Queensland

Lawson Creighton – Brothers

Filipo Daugunu – Wests

Ilaisa Droasese – Wests

Josh Flook – Brothers

Feao Fotuaika – Sunnybank

Lopeti Faifua - Wests

Mac Grealy – University of Queensland

Isaac Henry – Wests

Harry Hoopert – Brothers

Spencer Jeans – Bond University

Tom Lynagh – University of Queensland

Alex Mafi – Bond University

Tate McDermott – University of Queensland

Fraser McReight – Brothers

Josh Nasser – University of Queensland

Zane Nonggorr – Bond University

James O'Connor – Brothers

Hunter Paisami – Wests

Jordan Petaia – Wests

Lukhan Salakaia-Loto – Souths

Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland

Ryan Smith – Brothers

Hamish Stewart – Brothers

Kalani Thomas – University of Queensland

Tuaina Taii Tualima - GPS

Taniela Tupou – Brothers

Seru Uru – Easts

Suliasi Vunivalu – Wests

Harry Wilson – Brothers

Liam Wright – Easts

Dane Zander – Norths

INS

Spencer Jeans

Tom Lynagh

Lopeti Faifua

George Blake

OUTS

Brandon Paenga-Amosa

Bryce Hegarty

Moses Sorovi

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
31 players retained is a great outcome. Of the players gone, both Hegarty & Sorovi were good players who provided depth, but neither are irreplaceable. BPA is the most significant loss - we need both Mafi & 1 (or both) of Asiata & Nasser to kick on.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Player list on Reds website by position as follows-

Prop- Dane ZANDER, Feao FOTUAIKA, Harry HOOPERT, Taniela TUPOU, Zane NONGGORR

Hooker- Alex MAFI, Josh NASSER, Richie ASIATA

Backrow- Angus SCOTT-YOUNG, Fraser MCREIGHT, Harry WILSON, Liam WRIGHT, Seru URU

Lock- Angus BLYTH, Lukhan SALAKAIA-LOTO, Ryan SMITH, Tuaina Tali TUALIMA

Wing- Filipo DAUGUNU, Suliasi VUNIVALU

Utility Back- Hamish STEWART, Isaac HENRY, James O'CONNOR, Lawson CREIGHTON

Centre- Hunter PAISAMI, Jordan PETAIA, Josh FLOOK

Outside Back- Ilaisa DROASESE, Jock CAMPBELL, Mac GREALY

Scrumhalf - Kalani THOMAS, Tate McDERMOTT, Spencer JEANS

Fly Half - Tom LYNAGH

Out of interest - Taniela TUPOU and Zane NONGGORR are listed as Front row, not a definite position.

Lukhan SALAKAIA-LOTO and Tuaina Tali TUALIMA listed as Lock/Backrow.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Player list on Reds website by position as follows-

Prop- Dane ZANDER, Feao FOTUAIKA, Harry HOOPERT, Taniela TUPOU, Zane NONGGORR

Hooker- Alex MAFI, Josh NASSER, Richie ASIATA

Backrow- Angus SCOTT-YOUNG, Fraser MCREIGHT, Harry WILSON, Liam WRIGHT, Seru URU

Lock- Angus BLYTH, Lukhan SALAKAIA-LOTO, Ryan SMITH, Tuaina Tali TUALIMA

Wing- Filipo DAUGUNU, Suliasi VUNIVALU

Utility Back- Hamish STEWART, Isaac HENRY, James O'CONNOR, Lawson CREIGHTON

Centre- Hunter PAISAMI, Jordan PETAIA, Josh FLOOK

Outside Back- Ilaisa DROASESE, Jock CAMPBELL, Mac GREALY

Scrumhalf - Kalani THOMAS, Tate McDERMOTT, Spencer JEANS

Fly Half - Tom LYNAGH

Out of interest - Taniela TUPOU and Zane NONGGORR are listed as Front row, not a definite
Think you’re reading way too much into things there.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Rugby.com.au reported the squad as follows.

Queensland Reds​

Props: George Blake, Feao Fotuaika, Harry Hoopert, Zane Nonggorr, Taniela Tupou, Dane Zander

Hookers: Richie Asiata, Alex Mafi, Josh Nasser

Locks: Angus Blyth, Lopeti Faifua, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Ryan Smith, Tuaina Taii Tualima,

Backrow: Fraser McReight, Angus Scott-Young, Seru Uru, Harry Wilson, Liam Wright

Halfbacks: Spencer Jeans, Tate McDermott, Kalani Thomas

Flyhalves: Lawson Creighton, Tom Lynagh, James O'Connor

Centres: Josh Flook, Isaac Henry, Hunter Paisami, Hamish Stewart

Outside backs: Jock Campbell, Filipo Daugunu, Ilaisa Droasese, Mac Grealy, Jordan Petaia, Suliasi Vunivalu

IN: Spencer Jeans, Tom Lynagh, Lopeti Faifua. George Blake

OUT: Brandon Paenga-Amosa, Bryce Hegarty, Moses Sorovi

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Is it just me, but don’t you miss seeing Slipper, Kerevi and QC (Quade Cooper) in a Red’s jersey? They would be handy going into 2022.
You had those 3 the reds would almost be crusader like. I do hope kerevi not lost to oz rugby as he is the main one like to see back (slipper at least at brumbies) given age/quality.