• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Throw in Rodda too, and the retention of a couple of the young players headed south and we would be sweet. The salary cap would have exploded.
Got to give qld reds some cuidos for its development pathways as lot of good young players continue to come through (and feed reds and other states). Reds also used nrc well and showed tahs what they were missing.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
31 players retained is a great outcome. Of the players gone, both Hegarty & Sorovi were good players who provided depth, but neither are irreplaceable. BPA is the most significant loss - we need both Mafi & 1 (or both) of Asiata & Nasser to kick on.

Have heard Mafi has already been offered an extension with the Reds and it included an RA top up, but has expressed that he is looking overseas. Emphasis on looking, he may still re-sign with the Reds.

I believe he is only contracted until the end of 2022, so it will be interesting to see what happens on that front.

Regardless, I think the Reds needs to be recruiting an established hooker for 2023 and beyond, I don't think Asiata or Nasser are the answer long term even as a backup.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Have heard Mafi has already been offered an extension with the Reds and it included an RA top up, but has expressed that he is looking overseas. Emphasis on looking, he may still re-sign with the Reds.

I believe he is only contracted until the end of 2022, so it will be interesting to see what happens on that front.

Regardless, I think the Reds needs to be recruiting an established hooker for 2023 and beyond, I don't think Asiata or Nasser are the answer long term even as a backup.
We had one but RA and Reds couldn't afford to keep him. So now 2 of our best hookers are in france.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That will be a real shame - but I can’t say it’s not expected. The Reds playing list will come under a lot more financial pressure next time most of these guys come off contract. Across the board they are pretty much all worth more on the market now then they were last time. The Reds re-vamp and the efforts to re-build the pathways have improved so much in the past few years, but they are going to be tested.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah, Mafi will be a shame, but the timing should be pretty good considering the 'central alignment' of the Super Rugby teams under RA.

That means the 4 hookers getting RA $$$ at the Brumbies will have to be split up. It seems both McInerney and Pollard are contracted through 2023, leaving Fainga'a and Lonergan.

Lonergan being a local is unlikely, but I'd grab him in a second and reckon he would do well under Thorn and Lilycrap.

In saying that, I am a big fan of Asiata.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Yep, it doesn't help that Mafi's brother, Matt, also a hooker/sometimes prop went over to Japan for a few seasons and got paid very well and he's only at Premier Grade standard. The potential for earning overseas must be pretty clear cut for Alex, and he's apparently fallen to 5th or 6th in line for a Wallabies gig.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep, it doesn't help that Mafi's brother, Matt, also a hooker/sometimes prop went over to Japan for a few seasons and got paid very well and he's only at Premier Grade standard. The potential for earning overseas must be pretty clear cut for Alex, and he's apparently fallen to 5th or 6th in line for a Wallabies gig.

I don't think that's the case at all. I think if he wasn't injured a crucial time in the season, he would have been capped this year. I expect him to be capped next year, if he plays to his potential.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
How long is BPA signed for in France? Might be the case that we can lure him back in 2024 after he's earned some euros with the Lions tour not far off.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Disagree with the call on Matt Mafi. Bloke is capped by the Reds. Played prop when shafted by Brothers as they were trying to give Matthew Faessler a leg up. Moved to GPS who played two frontrows all season. Had a kid a put on some timber but he is decent.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Reds have released new training kit but no announcement on naming rights sponsor for 2022.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Disagree with the call on Matt Mafi. Bloke is capped by the Reds. Played prop when shafted by Brothers as they were trying to give Matthew Faessler a leg up. Moved to GPS who played two frontrows all season. Had a kid a put on some timber but he is decent.

I think my assessment stands, wasn’t saying hes shit, but he’s played majority of his senior footy at Prem grade level. Compare that to Alex, who many believe was pushing for a Wallabies gig and they are at quite different levels. Which was the point of my post.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I don't think that's the case at all. I think if he wasn't injured a crucial time in the season, he would have been capped this year. I expect him to be capped next year, if he plays to his potential.

But the fact is that he did get injured and maybe missed his shot. I’m not just talking about his ability, but there seems to be a definite Brumbies vibe throughout the current Wallabies hooking ranks.

Unless Mafi can outright show himself to be ahead of Fainga’a, Kaitu’u and Uelese, I think he’ll find it hard to frog leap those guys and the 2 reserve Brumbies hookers and probably 3 blokes McKellar has earmarked in ACT 4th grade.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Reds 2 Regions happening at the moment again, with a few old boys travelling too (Horwill, Morgan and Hardman). Following the socials and it’s just a reminder what an awesome initiative it is
Yes - just came from the pub and getting to share a bit of time with Elton Flatley & Alex Mafi after they ran a training session with our club pathways players. Very enjoyable evening.

I was already a big fan of Mafi as a footballer - now a fan of him off the field as well.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Surely Pollard is the one the Reds should be going for? He has the highest ceiling, and with his league background, I reckon he'd love to work under Thorn.
Sure, but like I said, he’s contracted through 2023

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Centralisation... hmmm... after the selection and "resting" shenanigans that have gone on at test level since the arrival of MacKellar, I reckon the QRU are probably moving away from the idea rather than towards it.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Centralisation... hmmm... after the selection and "resting" shenanigans that have gone on at test level since the arrival of MacKellar, I reckon the QRU are probably moving away from the idea rather than towards it.
Centralised contracting could be even more interesting given the new eligibility rules, a significant proportion of contracted players can now play for other countries through their parents/grandparents but will be paid to develop their test skills by RA.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I'm not sure what shadows your leaping at there? There's no centralisation at the moment. The Brumby hooker situation has a fair chance of benefiting QLD if it eventuates.

Reactions: dru